new to Medicare

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
brucelegs

new to Medicare

Post by brucelegs » Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:57 am

I will be going on Medicare next month and am wondering who folks are using for mail order supplies. Will I need to get a new Rx? I am hoping to avoid a new sleep study and will be looking to get a new machine next year as well. Any advice pros and cons and experiences are much appreciated. I have been getting my supplies from our host here on my own dime and will want to take advantage of Medicare to save some $$

thanks in advance

"Show a little faith, there's magic in the night
You ain't a beauty, but hey you're alright
Oh and that's alright with me"

SleepGeek

Re: new to Medicare

Post by SleepGeek » Sun Jun 18, 2023 6:09 pm

brucelegs wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:57 am
I will be going on Medicare next month and am wondering who folks are using for mail order supplies. Will I need to get a new Rx? I am hoping to avoid a new sleep study and will be looking to get a new machine next year as well. Any advice pros and cons and experiences are much appreciated.
I get mine from Verus.

IF you have a sleep doc who has all your info they will just contact him to get what they need.

You should be able to get a new cpap as soon as you start on Medicare and have a copy of your last sleep study - best if you can get it to a doc for them to contact.

HTH

https://verushealthcare.com/medicare/
Happiness is being on Dog Slobber pr & zonkers foe list
CrankyGranny is Whale Road + many other ids
They are here to help.
zonkers + palerider aka GrumpyHere wrote: What exactly do you think you're adding to this thread?

brucelegs

Post by brucelegs » Sun Jun 18, 2023 7:09 pm

Thanks. I have not has a sleep study since 2010 and have been managing it all myself very well after a couple of follow up visits in 2011. I bought my earlier replacement machines from LSAT on this forum on my own dime. Looks like I will need to most likely have another sleep study scheduled

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Sun Jun 18, 2023 7:53 pm

You can't (or didn't) get a copy of your old sleep study?

If not, might be time to start over and get copies of everything this time.
They are here to help.
zonkers + palerider aka GrumpyHere wrote: What exactly do you think you're adding to this thread?

brucelegs

Post by brucelegs » Sun Jun 18, 2023 8:22 pm

I have a copy of the study from 2010 and the Rx but I suspect my new primary will want to complete a new study to get a RX for a newer machine.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Mon Jun 19, 2023 6:12 am

My original sleep study was from 2010, also. I have kept a copy so I was alright. You can get a new machine, but Medicare requires "doctors notes", stating that the patient is successfully using your cpap machine. Trust me, it's a nightmare. I ended up buying the machine out of my pocket, though Medicare finally purchased me one. Good luck!

Sheriff

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Mon Jun 19, 2023 6:23 am

A new sleep study is not a bad thing but...
brucelegs wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 8:22 pm
I suspect my new primary will want to complete a new study to get a RX for a newer machine.
IF the doc requires one even tho insurance does NOT then I say its time to find a new doc.

I found a pulmonologist and its works out fine. Thing is you will need a doc if you want insurance to pay.

For me it works because I have a co-pay that picks up what Medicare doesn't pay as long as Medicare approves it, no problem.
They are here to help.

loggerhead12

Post by loggerhead12 » Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:37 am

SleepGeek wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 6:23 am
Sleep studies are torture because you have to sleep without your CPAP for several hours.

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:51 am

loggerhead12 wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:37 am
SleepGeek wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 6:23 am

IF the doc requires one even tho insurance does NOT then I say its time to find a new doc.
Sleep studies are torture because you have to sleep without your CPAP for several hours.
Only for the dx part (120 min) - not for the titration.

You may find out you don't need cpap or that you need a diff pressure.

Not all things in life are bad. Well it depends on your attitude.
OR find a new doc.
They are here to help.

booksfan

Post by booksfan » Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:35 am

My husband went on Medicare in March. He saw his PCP, not a sleep doc, who sent visit notes and an Rx to our local DME (who participates in Medicare) and hubby got his new CPAP. He did not need a new sleep study, just notes confirming that he had been using his machine nightly and benefiting from it. DME downloaded compliance data from the new machine and he does need a follow up visit and notes from PCP. Actually very easy.

Mask: Bleep Eclipse/Halos
Machine: ResMed AirSense 11 AutoSet

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:38 am

booksfan wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:35 am
My husband went on Medicare in March. He saw his PCP, not a sleep doc, who sent visit notes and an Rx to our local DME (who participates in Medicare) and hubby got his new CPAP. He did not need a new sleep study, just notes confirming that he had been using his machine nightly and benefiting from it. DME downloaded compliance data from the new machine and he does need a follow up visit and notes from PCP. Actually very easy.
That's the way to do it. This getting a new sleep study is not required by Medicare, and it is a stupid waste of taxpayers' money. Not to mention,
loggerhead12 wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:37 am
Exactly.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Jun 19, 2023 12:01 pm

Since I am within driving distance, I refuse all offers to mail my supplies.
I have several times been able to reject "substitutions" that I would have otherwise been stuck with.
People tend to get "careless" when no one is watching--at least around here.
But you do what works for you; but don't be bashful about demanding corrections.

zonker

Post by zonker » Mon Jun 19, 2023 5:17 pm

brucelegs wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:57 am

thanks in advance
i have no advice for you. just wanted to say i LOVE your signature!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:46 pm

brucelegs wrote:
I have a copy of the study from 2010 and the Rx but I suspect my new primary will want to complete a new study to get a RX for a newer machine.
To clarify - IMHO any doc who refers you for a sleep study when your insurance (Medicare in this case) does NOT require one - prob has a financial interest in the sleep center.

Likewise if the doc won't send your equipment order to the supplier (DME) you want or will only order a certain brand of equipment.

Stop feeding the monster and find another doc who will do what you want. They work for you.
They are here to help.

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:09 pm

brucelegs wrote:
I have a copy of the study from 2010 and the Rx ...
I've had 4 in-lab sleep studies - before In-Home studies were approved.

IF yours was done at home chances are an in-lab with a live person watching over you will find things the at Home study doesn't even look for.

It wasn't until my 4th that it was noted I had bruxism. I seriously doubt that is came on suddenly - oddly enuff my dentist never mentioned it either. Turns out my dad had it too.

If you are sleeping well, don't feel tired, and don't feel the need for another opinion then don't bother. But if things aren't where you'd like them now is the perfect time to get another opinion.

Just make sure a split-nite study is ordered and beware that Medicare requires a minimum of 120 minute diagnostic (so they don't short change you and make you come back one more time).

And when done make sure this doc will order you an auto cpap/bipap of the brand you want - MUST be in writing so there is no wiggle room.
They are here to help.