OSCAR chart to grade please? Newguy

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
dataq1

Re: OSCAR chart to grade please? Newguy

Post by dataq1 » Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:57 pm

GeneMpls wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:02 am
Did you notice that on the ResMed sleep study sheet it sez CSR is 0% and 0.00? I am into work today but my mind is not booting up properly. Body/Muscle seem OK so far.
Gene
Yes, I did notice that on one of your two sleep studies reported no CSR breathing pattern was seen during that test.

However, now you have the advantage of having many days (and hours) of observation. So, to settle the question of how frequently you are having sleep sessions that Cheyne-Stokes (CSR) is observed:
Open OSCAR, select your profile, and click on the "Overview" tab, then scroll down to the graph of CSR. That bar graph will show you how nights you have had CSR pattern detected and the percentage of time (in each session) that CSR was detected.

BTW, OSCAR is not evaluating your breathing pattern (for CSR), the ResMed software is doing that, OSCAR is simply reported the ResMed evaluation and presenting it in graphic form

Wanted to mention that my wife had a sleep study ordered by her physician and conducted by the hospital's sleep lab. It was, like yours, a home sleep study and the data was evaluated by Resmed's software (at the hospital) and edited manually by the sleep technologists at the sleep lab.
When I asked for a complete report (for our records), it was 16 pages long.
Like the report you posted, the top two pages summarize and classify the observations, the bulk of the remaining pages look more like blown-up OSCAR charts, however the graphs also included the activity of the "effort belts" as well as pulse-ox data graphs.

Finally, (and you may choose not to respond to this question - I'll respect that), did you say that you had a silent heart attack some years ago?

Wishing you well,
"THE INFORMATION PROVIDED ON CPAPTALK.COM IS NOT INTENDED NOR RECOMMENDED AS A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE."

GeneMpls

Post by GeneMpls » Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:55 pm

Silent heart attack- yes, detected years later when I lost consciousness while laying awkwardly across a car seat working under a dash panel. My arteries had bypassed a blockage and aside from many, many Dr visits and tests there was no treatment except for BP drugs. I got a new nasal Evora mask today, which I expect to make no difference [perhaps comfort]. Cardio and I traded phone calls today, so will hear something Monday I suppose. Gene

dataq1

Post by dataq1 » Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:42 pm

Hi Gene,
When you have a moment, take a look at that overview tab to see how often your are having these CSR epochs from day to day.
"THE INFORMATION PROVIDED ON CPAPTALK.COM IS NOT INTENDED NOR RECOMMENDED AS A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE."

GeneMpls

Post by GeneMpls » Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:50 am

They posted the Ocho notes to their portal- they are saying 'Moderate aortic valve calcification' which has progressed since my last ECHO in 2018- I am guessing they will start getting me ready for a valve job? My 'Visually estimated ejection fraction is 65-70%-- they are calling normal. And here is my OSCAR Oview chart for CSR:

screenshot-Oview 11.5.png
I guess this could be part of my tiredness as well- today I feel good again, I have to hustle on the good days because I have a lot to do before I punch out [permently]. Gene

colomom

Post by colomom » Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:15 am

GeneMpls wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:50 am
They posted the Ocho notes to their portal- they are saying 'Moderate aortic valve calcification' which has progressed since my last ECHO in 2018- I am guessing they will start getting me ready for a valve job? My 'Visually estimated ejection fraction is 65-70%-- they are calling normal. And here is my OSCAR Oview chart for CSR:

I guess this could be part of my tiredness as well- today I feel good again, I have to hustle on the good days because I have a lot to do before I punch out [permently]. Gene
My dad went through an aortic valve replacement this summer, so I’ve learned quite a bit about aortic valve stenosis and aortic valve replacement. My best guess is that your cardiologist likely won’t recommend valve replacement surgery at this time for moderate calcification, but you’ll have to wait to talk to the cardiologist to find out for certain if surgery is recommended. If they did recommend surgery there are 2 possible routes you’ll want to consider with the docs; open heart or TAVR.
A good question for the cardiologist is how much of a change has there been since your last echo in 2018? Another important thing I would want to know is how moderate is the calcification; hopefully it’s closer to the mild end of the scale rather than being close to hitting severe. You may also want to ask if the cardiologist would recommend any further heart testing.
If you have been or start experiencing any symptoms like shortness of breath, dizziness, passing out, easy fatigue from exercise, or chest pain it’s important to bring those symptoms to the attention of your cardiologist.
Good luck! Hope you’re able to connect with the cardiologist on Monday and will find a path to feeling better soon!

dataq1

Post by dataq1 » Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:07 am

GeneMpls wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:50 am
Overview posted above
Gene, It is clear that Cheyne-Stokes breathing is a prominent feature of your breathing every day. (that is to say, it's not a one-off or infrequent false-positive warning signal)

The significance of that is best assessed by your physicians, which I see you are actively pursuing.
Best of wishes that you can resolve your heath issues.

ozij

Post by ozij » Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:03 pm

dataq1 wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:07 am
Gene, It is clear that Cheyne-Stokes breathing is a prominent feature of your breathing every day. (that is to say, it's not a one-off or infrequent false-positive warning sign
Let's rephrase this more carefully:
The machine is reporting an unusual breathing patter that it only knows to identify as "Cheyne Stokes Respiration"
It happens frequently.
This unusual breathing pattern has to be investigated.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

dataq1

Post by dataq1 » Sun Nov 06, 2022 2:18 pm

ozij wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:03 pm
It happens frequently.
Greater than 85% of the time (based on the last 70+ days)

Yes, the Resmed algorithm is calling it Cheyne-Stokes Respiration; Respironics algorithm would likely flag it as "periodic breathing".

Gene seems to be bringing that (the repeated CSR flag) to his health care professional's attention.

I wish him well.

ozij

Post by ozij » Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:35 am

dataq1 wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 2:18 pm
ozij wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:03 pm
It happens frequently.
Greater than 85% of the time (based on the last 70+ days)
:shock: You're counting the days in which he had ResMed identified "CSR"?

The amount of time he spent in "CSR"on those nights, the frequency in which those bouts happened when they did appear is no less - and probably more - informative.

I have apneas on 100% the nights I use the CPAP. So what?

Gene's concerning pattern appears frequently: many times a night, on many nights, his TTA (total time in apnea per night) is very high most nights and is an issue that - as we have all agreed more than once - should be further investigated by professionals.

It could be a heart health issue, it could be response to "continuous pressurized air pressure" issue". And that' s why Rubicon, the knowledgeable professional among us had mentioned both EF (a measure of heart health) and an ASV - a type of machine necessary for the people with who may have pressure induced central apneas that do not go away.

Doctors are trained at "differential diagnosis". The good ones do it as they should.

I hope you find good one, Gene. Or good ones, if that is necessary.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

Tec5

Post by Tec5 » Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:27 pm

ozij wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:35 am
Rubicon, the knowledgeable professional among us ....
Been lurking this thread, this is the first time I can recall that Rubicon has been described as the professional among us.

What is his profession and what are his credentials ?
I am neither a physician nor a lawyer, so DO NOT rely on me for professional medical or legal advice.

Rubicon

Post by Rubicon » Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:54 pm

Tec5 wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:27 pm
...this is the first time I can recall that Rubicon has been described as the professional among us.

What is his profession ... ?
Hit man.

Visa and MasterCard accepted. (Needless to say) all sales final.

Discounts available for seniors and military.
Freeze this moment a little bit longer.
Make each sensation a little bit stronger.
Experience slips away.

Tec5

Post by Tec5 » Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:21 pm

Rubicon wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:54 pm
Tec5 wrote:
...this is the first time I can recall that Rubicon has been described as the professional among us.

Hit man

Credentials ?
Or resume?
I am neither a physician nor a lawyer, so DO NOT rely on me for professional medical or legal advice.

WakeMeNot

Post by WakeMeNot » Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:44 pm

Rubicon wrote:
Tec5 wrote:

Hit man.

If I don’t stop snoring my girlfriend may want your services! :shock:

Rubicon

Post by Rubicon » Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:27 am

WakeMeNot wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:44 pm
Rubicon wrote:
Tec5 wrote:

Hit man.

If I don’t stop snoring my girlfriend may want your services! :shock:
No prob.

Have her enter Coupon Code DEADMEAT for 10% discount for new customers.
Experience slips away.

Rubicon

Post by Rubicon » Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:28 am

Tec5 wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:21 pm
Rubicon wrote:
Tec5 wrote:

Hit man

Credentials ?
Or resume?
You're kidding, right?
Experience slips away.