Phillips / Philips Respironics recent recall notice discussion thread

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Desert mans wife

Re: Sticky: Phillips Respironics recent recall notice discussion thread

Post by Desert mans wife » Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:04 pm

irish80122 wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:01 pm
Hi all, new person here, though I did force myself to read through all the posts.

I see a lot of folks jumped on the Airsense 10, and I likely will as well, but is anyone still waiting on the Airsense 11? Is there much reason to? The videos I have seen don't make it look that that big of an upgrade, but I thought i would ak about it before plopping down the cash.

Also, my wife (who also has a Dreamstation, lucky us) is thinking about getting a HDM Z2 as the replacement. Anyone here have experience using it as a daily driver... at least until Phillips figures things out?

I appreciate all of you more than you know!
I have the Z2. I have been using it every night until last night, when I got the Resmed 10. 2 reasons why I decided to get the Resmed 10 instead of just relying on the Z2:
1) The Z2 isn't meant to be a permanent machine - and it's capabilities, including it's software capabilities reflects that.
2) The lack of a humidifier. The HME, while it helps, doesn't cut it. I was able to use my Dreamstation's humidifier with my Z2 in a pass over configuration, but that only does so much. Without being able to heat the water at all it doesn't increase the humidity in the air going to you from the CPAP very much.

DMZABO

Post by DMZABO » Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:22 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:58 pm
Upon seeing several cpap ambulance chaser ads, I can't help thinking
that Respironics might be counting on kickbacks from the shylocks.
It is all becoming clearer and clearer . . .
There was a time when I wondered if I was being overly picky about favoring Resmed.
I suppose not.
Who are the shylocks?

Additional Comments: Dream station cellular modem
Just when you think you’ve seen it all , you really haven’t! :shock:

Dreamstation model # DSX700T11C Bi/PAP Auto bi-Flex
Dreamwear full face mask cushion
Humidifier-3* tube heat-1*

Modified Swim goggles for the dry eyes buster!

SingingSam

Post by SingingSam » Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:50 pm

My first post, no thanks to PR whose foam fiasco has caused a shift of my focus to CPAP for a while. This post mainly is for System One users, secondarily for anyone else interested in the recall topic, and finally a thank you to many contributors to this discussion thread.

My CPAP is a System One BiPAP AutoSV Advanced model 950P with a REMstar model 1056215 heated humidifier. My 950P is programmed to duplicate the operation of a CPAP machine. I've used it since Aug., 2013 when I was diagnosed with complex sleep apnea. I have no backup. This machine travels when I travel.

This isn't a Q series System One. Inside it has a green circuit board that is held by a couple of plastic retainers instead of a screw. Its electrical connections are a little different. Other than that the internals are very much like a Q series. I think the foam is identical.

After nearly 8 years and over 19,600 blower hours it is remarkably clean inside. It never has been exposed to an ozone cleaner. It has received very little cleaning. I wipe its exterior with a sponge or paper towel dampened with tap water. Other than a thin layer of dust on a fraction of the top surface, the foam looks nearly new.

I drew the foam to scale with a two dimensional CAD system. The size of the foam is about 18.27 square inches. The thickness is about 0-7/16 inches. The volume is about 7.99 cubic inches. The weight is about 1/4 ounce, although my old analog postage scale isn't very precise. It is cut foam, not molded or injected. Cut foam is suitable for sound attenuation.

Removing the foam made no discernable difference in the loudness or pitch of the machine's sound. That is assuming the machine is reassembled correctly. It can be much noisier when it is not reassembled correctly. As others have observed about the System One, intake air flows over a portion of this foam, not through it.

My digital manometer confirms that my modified 950P produces the prescribed cm H2O. I measured both with and without the humidifier.

I use the humidifier, but not for heat or moisture. I get less sound from both the machine and the mask when the air flows through the humidifier. I don't know why this is so. I don't know whether this is a fluke or something common to the 950P or to other System One models.

Removing the foam is a fiddly job. It is not very difficult with the right tools and some patience. Maybe a 2 on a scale of 5 where 1 means falling down easy and 5 means let a pro do it.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:20 pm

SingingSam wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:50 pm
I use the humidifier, but not for heat or moisture. I get less sound from both the machine and the mask when the air flows through the humidifier. I don't know why this is so. I don't know whether this is a fluke or something common to the 950P or to other System One models.
I think it's something common to all cpaps, the humidifier enclosure acts like a muffler.

My resmed S9 had more noise conducted through the tube with the hose attached directly to the blower compared to going through the humidifier, so I leave the humidifier attached, but turned off.

My 'new' AirCurve10 VAuto came with the blanking plate, but I could hear a motor whine, I swapped in a dry humidifier tank, and now all I hear is air noise, so, quieter than with the blanking plate.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:45 pm

palerider wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:20 pm

My 'new' AirCurve10 VAuto came with the blanking plate, but I could hear a motor whine, I swapped in a dry humidifier tank, and now all I hear is air noise, so, quieter than with the blanking plate.
Resist the urge to fill your humidifier cavity with sound-abatement foam scavenged from Philips Respironics devices.

I see you're now sporting an AirCurve 10. Notice any difference over the previous S9 VPAP?

Sleep2Dream

Post by Sleep2Dream » Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:05 pm

irish80122 wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:01 pm
Also, my wife (who also has a Dreamstation, lucky us) is thinking about getting a HDM Z2 as the replacement. Anyone here have experience using it as a daily driver... at least until Phillips figures things out?
I have been using my Z2 regularly while I wait for my DME to get more ResMeds in stock. I loved the Z2 when I used it for the first time--for a week of travel. But now...not so much. It is noisier than it struck me as being during my trip. But it's the lack of a humidifier that is killing me. For a week, that didn't seem to matter much, but now, even in these humid nights, I am getting way too uncomfortable. So much so that I'm ditching the machine entirely by around 3am or so. So while I still like it as a travel machine--I do love the size, and short term, the HME seemed to handle the moisture issue sufficiently--it definitely does not seem to me to be sufficient for a regular machine. Just my two cents.
Mask: ResMed N30i Nasal Cushion
Home Machine: ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset
Travel Machine: Z2 Auto

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:26 pm

Dog Slobber wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:45 pm
palerider wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:20 pm

Resist the urge to fill your humidifier cavity with sound-abatement foam scavenged from Philips Respironics devices.

I see you're now sporting an AirCurve 10. Notice any difference over the previous S9 VPAP?
HAH, no need to change anything other than a stock water chamber. if I couldn't hear myself breathe, I think I'd be worried. ;)

No, I haven't noticed any difference between the two as far as how it behaves, or how my sleep is.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Medic856

Post by Medic856 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:33 am

Resmed 10. See my other post for more info. They use the same foam as Phillips. I'm sure this has been great for my lungs. :roll:
Attachments
Resmed.jpg
Resmed.jpg (78.62 KiB) Viewed 1675 times

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:39 am

Medic856 wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:33 am
Resmed 10. See my other post for more info. They use the same foam as Phillips. I'm sure this has been great for my lungs. :roll:
Please stop being dishonest.

Liars and idiots don't do well around here.

JLROhio

Post by JLROhio » Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:47 am

Medic856 wrote:
I’ll throw out the BS Flag as well.

ResMed foam IS not the same as the Philips foam - not even close. ResMed even issued a press release explaining how their foam is not the same type nor has there been any reports of foam breakdown like Philips.

If I had to guess, I’d say that foam came out of a Machine that used a So-Clean or other type of Ozone cleaner.

Is that your machine foam??
* This is the internet - what I write will probably NOT come across as it would in person; where one can read a person's face.
My posts are sometimes tongue & cheek w/some snarky sarcasm mixed in.
I leave it up to you to figure it out!
:wink:

--

zonker

Post by zonker » Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:48 am

Medic856 wrote:
Resmed 10. See my other post for more info. They use the same foam as Phillips.
citation?
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Medic856

Post by Medic856 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:51 am

JLROhio wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:47 am
Medic856 wrote:

ResMed foam IS not the same as the Philips foam - not even close. ResMed even issued a press release explaining how their foam is not the same type nor has there been any reports of foam breakdown like Philips.

If I had to guess, I’d say that foam came out of a Machine that used a So-Clean or other type of Ozone cleaner.

Yes my machine. Perhaps I sould have said that it looks similar.
Dog Slobber wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:39 am
Medic856 wrote:

Chill. my error.

JLROhio

Post by JLROhio » Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:01 am

Medic856 wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:51 am
JLROhio wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:47 am
Medic856 wrote:

Yes my machine. Perhaps I sould have said that it looks similar.
I read your prior post about you being sold your SoClean at the same time as you rcvd your machine, which was after ResMed issued the ozone cleaning warranty void.

If I were you, I’d take up with your DME - and I mean HIGH up within your DME’s company offices, for a full replacement or your going to take them to small claims court…which you could easily win.

In the meantime, find someone who has a dead ResMed & salvage the foam out of it to replace yours - again, your DME may be of help there.

Kill em’ with firm kindness - it may get you the relief you seek. But don’t be afraid to go to small claims court.

EDIT: Is the SoClean2 an ozone cleaner like the original?
* This is the internet - what I write will probably NOT come across as it would in person; where one can read a person's face.
My posts are sometimes tongue & cheek w/some snarky sarcasm mixed in.
I leave it up to you to figure it out!
:wink:

--

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:26 am

Medic856 wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:51 am
Dog Slobber wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:39 am
Medic856 wrote:

Chill. my error.
I am chill, I even said Please.

reader2580

Post by reader2580 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:57 am

I have been using my new Resmed Airsense 10 autoset machine for a week now. The reporting from the CPAP is showing my AHI is much better than with the Dreamstation. I wish I had chosen the Resmed when I did my replacement in December 2019. Unfortunately, my sleep isn't any better with an AHI of 1.1. I talked to my sleep doctor about which CPAP he recommends back in 2019 and he didn't have a preference. I'm not happy to have spent $775 out of pocket, but it won't break me either.

It sounds like Philips might be replacing all recalled CPAP machines with new Dreamstation 2 machines instead of repairs. I wonder how Philips can get the semiconductors and other parts to dramatically increase production with all the shortages?