Let's talk about Full Face Masks

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Dark_Star

Let's talk about Full Face Masks

Post by Dark_Star » Sun May 20, 2007 9:32 am

I have been breathing out though my mouth like crazy.... (I'm using a Comfort Gel mask .. which I like as far as comfort is concerned.. (although the bridge of my nose has a little "rut" in it now from the mask).

I decided after a couple nights that taping is not for me and so next step is to try a full face mask.

With that said... I am narrowing it down to the Hybrid and the new Mirage Quattro.

Now I realize the Quattro is not even shipping .. so maybe it is best to wait a bit to see how it pans out with more reviews.

But the more I read on the Hybrid the more I would like to try. It seems like many folks are able to get it to work.. but fit and leaks seem to be an issue.
... it seems that there are so many different aspects to getting a proper fit.

So who has the Hybrid and what are your thoughts... Also what about the Quattro... Is this the new "best" mask out there.

Man.... it is hard... I read and read and realize there is no "perfect" mask.

Thanks!
DarkStar

lvwildcat

Post by lvwildcat » Sun May 20, 2007 9:42 am

Dark Star-did you try looking under the post where there are masks for sale or trade??? Just a thought

blarg

Post by blarg » Sun May 20, 2007 9:45 am

If you haven't yet, I beg you, please try a GOOD chin strap. Don't fuss with it for weeks trying to get it to work if it's not going to, but I managed to stop my mouth breathing with it, and it's so much better than dealing with FF masks or tape IF it works for you.

I use the Respironics Premium Chin Strap, which was given to me by Dreamseeker (thanks!). It's worth trying to see.

I'm a programmer Jim, not a doctor!

Dark_Star

Post by Dark_Star » Sun May 20, 2007 9:56 am

blarg -- dude I hear ya ..

Maybe a chin stap will "do the trick" !

Looks like they can be had for around $25 ...

Thx

Bones

Post by Bones » Sun May 20, 2007 10:56 am

+1 on the chin strap. I had always read that they didn't work for most folks, so I never tried one until about 3 months ago. When I read about the success Blarg was having with his, I "borrowed" one from my RT just to try it. Works like a charm. I bought 2 of the Respironics Premium straps and do very well with them. I got 2 so I had one to use while the other is hung up to dry after washing. I don't mouth breath as a rule, but sometimes my jaw drops when I am in a deep sleep. The chin strap works great for that.

I tried to get the Hybrid to work for me for 2 1/2 months and never had any real success with it. I tried every trick I read of here and no luck. No mask works for everyone.

Even though I don't really need it, I am keeping an eye on the Quattro reviews and may well get my RT to let me try one when he get's some in. I emailed Resmed last week and they sent me a sizing gauge for it.

Brian

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): respironics

JeffH

Post by JeffH » Sun May 20, 2007 10:58 am

If you have a beard, a full face mask will leak worse than an nasal mask. You are going to have to deal with the facial hair if you are going to make this work....IMHO.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun May 20, 2007 11:00 am

Also, just because a mask is the latest offer, doesn't make it as good as what people have been using in the past. It just means they have come up with a new one to feed the suckers. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

cwsanfor

Post by cwsanfor » Sun May 20, 2007 5:18 pm

Actually, the Quattro is shipping. As much as I prefer to support our sponsor, I got into a frenzy and ordered it from another vendor in the USA. I'd rather not name them, and they have since been restricted to taking telephone orders for it, rather than online, until May 31.

However, I see that cpap.com will be shipping it at what I believe is the minimum current allowed price ($209) on 5/22/2007, which is just around the corner (https://www.cpap.com/productpage/mirage ... dgear.html). I got very good service from the other vendor, but it's the only time I've traded with any retailer other than cpap.com, because I think you should dance with who brung you, and the Goodman's are doing God's Own Work with this forum. This forum has literally been a lifesaver to many, and it costs money to operate it. Cpap.com deserves my support, and I'm a little embarrassed at buying elsewhere.

I can't post my review at cpap.com, because I did not buy it there, but I posted my review here. Snoredog posted a better review here. The search facility is your friend.

It's a good mask, maybe very good, but it has not displaced the CF2 as my best performing mask. YMMV.

oldgearhead

Post by oldgearhead » Mon May 21, 2007 5:12 am

Well first of all, let me say I have tried all kinds of chin-straps, and they
just do not work for me. Furthermore, they make my head much too
hot to wear. My full-face mask (with the chin flap cut off, of course) feels
cooler on my face than any chin strap. Furthermore, A piece of paper tape is
cooler and lighter than either the Hybrid or a chin-strap.

I have used the Hybrid 75% of the time, since July 9, 2006. I've said this
many time on the forum: If you have a long. narrow face, the Hybrid
may not work for you, because the none of the three mouth-pieces included,
are likely to fit. They should put out a sizing fixture.

I don't think I could survive with only one mask. Reguardless of how nice
a mask feels, I just get sick-and-tired of it after a few nights, so I switch.

UMFF - Ugh! It tried to relocate my jaw.

It is almost impossibe to determine if a mask will work for you, unless
you try it.

People have more fun than anybody..

nate124

Post by nate124 » Mon May 21, 2007 5:21 am

Oldgearhead,
My face is fairly long and narrow, the Hybrid works great for me. I read some earlier posts that people with narrow, long faces had trouble getting a good seal with the Hybrid when it was shipping with the old headgear but some of the same people reported success with the new grey headgear. I have the new grey headgear, the mask seals fine!

- Nathan

tangents

Post by tangents » Mon May 21, 2007 6:33 am

Can anybody tell me what a typical leak rate is for the hybrid? I tried it Saturday night, and while it was comfortable, my leak rate was pretty bad, IMO. (Plus my husband said he thought a fan was blowing on him all night. Might be nice for the summer... )

Thanks,
Cathy

DreamStalker

Re: Let's talk about Full Face Masks

Post by DreamStalker » Mon May 21, 2007 7:06 am

Dark_Star wrote:I have been breathing out though my mouth like crazy.... (I'm using a Comfort Gel mask .. which I like as far as comfort is concerned.. (although the bridge of my nose has a little "rut" in it now from the mask).

I decided after a couple nights that taping is not for me and so next step is to try a full face mask.

With that said... I am narrowing it down to the Hybrid and the new Mirage Quattro.

Now I realize the Quattro is not even shipping .. so maybe it is best to wait a bit to see how it pans out with more reviews.

But the more I read on the Hybrid the more I would like to try. It seems like many folks are able to get it to work.. but fit and leaks seem to be an issue.
... it seems that there are so many different aspects to getting a proper fit.

So who has the Hybrid and what are your thoughts... Also what about the Quattro... Is this the new "best" mask out there.

Man.... it is hard... I read and read and realize there is no "perfect" mask.

Thanks!
DarkStar
If your pressure is only 10 ... you may be able to train yourself not to mouth leak. Do a search on this forum for "training" and "leak" and you will find more info on topic.

President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Mon May 21, 2007 7:08 am

blarg wrote:If you haven't yet, I beg you, please try a GOOD chin strap. Don't fuss with it for weeks trying to get it to work if it's not going to, but I managed to stop my mouth breathing with it, and it's so much better than dealing with FF masks or tape IF it works for you.

I use the Respironics Premium Chin Strap, which was given to me by Dreamseeker (thanks!). It's worth trying to see.
I thought that was me that gave you that chinstrap ... yea, I know ... we all look and sound the same

President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Mon May 21, 2007 7:09 am

tangents wrote:Can anybody tell me what a typical leak rate is for the hybrid? I tried it Saturday night, and while it was comfortable, my leak rate was pretty bad, IMO. (Plus my husband said he thought a fan was blowing on him all night. Might be nice for the summer... )

Thanks,
Cathy
It's listed on the cover of your manual. If you don't have the user manual you will need to provide the pressure you are at for anyone to give you a half accurate leak rate.

blarg

Post by blarg » Mon May 21, 2007 7:29 am

DreamStalker wrote:I thought that was me that gave you that chinstrap ... yea, I know ... we all look and sound the same
*sigh*

Yeah, it was you. So are you normally a Stalker or a Seeker?

Too many people going after dreams around here. lol. My apologies.
I'm a programmer Jim, not a doctor!