Provent for sleep apnea

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
land of nod

Re: Provent for sleep apnea

Post by land of nod » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:53 pm

<i>The first night seemed like a pretty rough night when I was sleeping. I felt like I woke up a bunch during the night. (I kept waking up and noticing the odd pressure on my exhale and then had to remember to open my mouth again so it didn't feel so weird.) But amazingly, the next day I was fully rested and full of energy.</i>

So Redpoppy, if I understand this correctly, you awakened a bunch of times during your first night with provent, and yet "amazingly" the next day you were fully rested and full of energy.

I still don't understand how something fitted over the nostrils, restricting the flow of exhaled air through the nostrils, will prevent the back of the throat from collapsing shut while sleeping on the back.

I didn't know anything about provent until yesterday, when my local news did a brief story on it. I suspect this was because the makers of provent have created an advertising media blitz. These sort of "news" segments are usually commercials disguised as real news. Very common on tv, as well as the newspapers. The manufacturers send out press releases, and the lazy media presents the press releases as news.

I would be happy if there was some little things I could tape on my nostrils that could allow me to breathe uninterrupted through the night, but I remain skeptical.

Here's something I don't understand... I'll put it out there for the experts... Isn't apnea more common than the statistics say? I mean, is there really anyone who can sleep on their back without snoring? Don't the majority of people experience apnea episodes?

NightMonkey

Post by NightMonkey » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:12 pm

land of nod wrote: the lazy media presents the press releases as news.

land of nod wrote: I still don't understand how something fitted over the nostrils, restricting the flow of exhaled air through the nostrils, will prevent the back of the throat from collapsing shut while sleeping on the back.

Who is lazy? A clear, simple explanation of how it works is easily found with an internet connection and a browser:

http://www.proventtherapy.com/hcp/asset ... essure.pdf
NightMonkey
Blow my oropharynx!

the hairy, hairy gent who ran amok in Kent

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:40 pm

Nate: I did feel unexplainably light-headed.
--All the pretty colors. . .

teachcsg

Post by teachcsg » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:40 pm

I'll venture my own (somewhat) experience with Provent.
I am pretty new to the forum but like to learn since I deal with cpap patients every day at work. I am a respiratory therapist. I am not a rep for Provent...trust me on this
We had an inservice from the Provent rep about a month ago at my workplace. It did seem strange to us but our director basically said its for our customers that cannot tolerate their cpap therapy or for those customers that like to travel. It would give them another option. Fair enough
We did try the device while we were there and it feels very wierd! More so than a cpap. I don't wear a cpap but have tried it when someone shows us a new machine or a new mask. The Provent feels like you cannot exhale completely and it makes you feel anxious
Anyway, another co-worker (also RT) does wear a cpap machine and took some home to try them. His experience did not go so well. He said it felt too wierd and they "blew" off in the middle of the night when he exhaled too forcefully.
To be fair....this coworker is a little short tempered so he was not the best test subject
Some other people in the office tried them and they seemed to adjust fairly quickly to the Provent device and said they could feel the back pressure in their airway upon exhalation. You can also "hear" the difference because when they talk (with device on) their voice almost "sputters" which is the back pressure working
FYI-for thos posting questions of how it works...the one way valve in the device closes when you exhale causing a back pressure that "splints" your airways open. Called EPAP = expiratory positive airway pressure
Ok so my final conclusion....they have a place in our toolbox. if someone tried cpap and could not tolerate then I would suggest provent. It may not reduce the AHI as well as cpap but something is better than nothing.
Hope this helps someone out there.
Cesar Garza, RRT
Registred Respiratory Therapist
http://www.lastminuteceus.com

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:44 pm

Thanks for your input Teach. This is the first time someone has actually tried them so, they may be, as you say, another tool for some of us.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:33 am

teachcsg wrote: ...this coworker is a little short tempered ...
That is a side effect of poorly treated sleep apnea. He probably does not use the software to keep his therapy under control.
"It's not the number of breaths we take, it's the number of moments that take our breath away."

rachlil1

Post by rachlil1 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:14 pm

My husband has been using it for 2 weeks now, so I think it is long enough to review. Although he has a CPAP he ends up taking it off when he sleeps, so a lot of money spent on something he never uses. I am so happy with these things. My husband has mild to moderate apnea and tends to breathe through his nose when he sleeps, so these are working very well for him. If someone has issues with a stuffed up nose, oily or sweaty skin or tends to breathe through their mouth, I'm not sure if it will work for them. I paid up front and asked the company to bill Blue Cross. I was prepared to appeal the denial, but was very pleasantly surprised that they covered it under durable medical equipment. Even if it wasn't covered, for the health benefits and the amount of time we have had to sleep in separate rooms and the amount of sleep I have lost, it would still be worth the $1.70 per day ($50 month). I should also add that the VA hospitals are now providing them, so I am figuring that they must be working for somebody.

jissa214

Post by jissa214 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:38 pm

Redpoppy, thank you for your opinion. I am getting ready to try the Provent as I will be taking an international trip in a few weeks and did not want to have to carry my cpap machine.

jlee

Post by jlee » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:06 pm

I tried, completely useless. Like having a stuffed nose...what's the point.

paulmur

Post by paulmur » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:47 am

I was diagnosed with positional apnea a couple of weeks ago. I had read the Times article and asked my Dr. He gave me some trials. Second day using them I woke up and my energy level was probably up by a third. I think it's working. I haven't been falling asleep in the middle of the afternoon, which was a major battle with me. My snoring drives my wife crazy. Now I've been asking if I snore. She says she doesn't remember.

I think they may work. I'm shelling out for a 90 day supply. I am a Newbie here with nothing to disclose.

SleepingUgly

Post by SleepingUgly » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:58 am

If you have positional apnea, why not just address the position you sleep in?
Never put your fate entirely in the hands of someone who cares less about it than you do. --Sleeping Ugly

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:26 pm

Because I also snore like crazy no matter what the position. this killed to birds with one stone.

rek101

Post by rek101 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:32 am

rachlil1 wrote:My husband has been using it for 2 weeks now, so I think it is long enough to review. Although he has a CPAP he ends up taking it off when he sleeps, so a lot of money spent on something he never uses. I am so happy with these things. My husband has mild to moderate apnea and tends to breathe through his nose when he sleeps, so these are working very well for him. If someone has issues with a stuffed up nose, oily or sweaty skin or tends to breathe through their mouth, I'm not sure if it will work for them. I paid up front and asked the company to bill Blue Cross. I was prepared to appeal the denial, but was very pleasantly surprised that they covered it under durable medical equipment. Even if it wasn't covered, for the health benefits and the amount of time we have had to sleep in separate rooms and the amount of sleep I have lost, it would still be worth the $1.70 per day ($50 month). I should also add that the VA hospitals are now providing them, so I am figuring that they must be working for somebody.
I've never posted here, but this review seems so utterly fake I had to say something. I used to be a marketing executive for a medical device company (Johnson & Johnson) and I don't think I could have written something which sounds more like marketing copy. Would this person kindly direct us to some other reviews she's written on other topics? Maybe something on Amazon. If we can expose these people, they'll take their BS elsewhere. If you visit most healthcare ad agencies, you'll find a lot of 20 somethings in NYC who party it up most nights. These are great people to have on your team if you want to spread propaganda, but not so fun to have around when you're trying to make healthcare decisions. Poster...please send us some links to other reviews you've written. Share a bit about yourself so we get some context. This might be a great product, but scum like this need to feel scummy when they come to work every day so they find useful jobs and useful ways to contribute to society.

rek101

Post by rek101 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:41 am

redpoppy25 wrote:I actually just started using the Provent device. I have to say after about a week of use, I'm actually really happy with the results. I'm definitely going to keep using the Provent!

I've been using CPAP for about 18 months and have had pretty good success with using a machine (once I switched over to an APAP machine). I have moderate sleep apnea with an AHI of about 22 (without treatment). My APAP machine settles out at about 8.6 pressure with about 1.9 AHI

Although APAP was working for me, I had been curious about Provent, and finally decided to try it. I like to camp and kayak and wanted a solution that would work without power available and without having to carry a bulky battery on camping trips.

I went camping about a month ago and figured I might as well try the Provent for that trip. Even though I hadn't heard much positive about the Provent device I figured I'd give it a try. I thought I might end up tired in the morning, but I figured I wouldn't be any more tired that if I slept without any device.

First about the device: the device is small, basically a small valve set in something similar to a band-aid. There are two separate pieces (one for each nostril) and they fit just over the nostril. You need to wash your face just before putting them on so that the oil on your face doesn't interfere with the adhesion on the Provent device. They are one-time use devices and you throw them away after using them. When you put the on you can inhale without any resistance. On your exhale there is resistance.

Yes. They feel pretty weird. Really weird. Especially the first couple of nights. Yes, CPAP feels pretty weird too in the beginning, but I think the Provent was weirder. The resistance on the exhale is pretty substantial. I'd say it is much more substantial that a pressure of 12 on a CPAP machine (my old CPAP machine was set to this constant pressure .) You need to just relax your breath and let it go out naturally, slowly. Very slowly. It is so slow, that it feels strange when you are awake. But when you are sleeping your breath slows down to this kind of a rate so it is natural when you are actually asleep. The instructions say to breathe through your mouth while you are falling asleep if it doesn't feel comfortable breathing through your nose and then you will naturally start breathing through your nose when you are asleep. This is exactly what I did. I eventually fell asleep and when I woke up at night I noticed that in fact I was breathing through my nose (at least some of the time).

The first night seemed like a pretty rough night when I was sleeping. I felt like I woke up a bunch during the night. (I kept waking up and noticing the odd pressure on my exhale and then had to remember to open my mouth again so it didn't feel so weird.) But amazingly, the next day I was fully rested and full of energy. I felt great. Each day I used the Provent, the sleep got easier. Every day I've used it I've felt great the next day.

I only had a small number of the Provent device (I had the sample box) so I had to wait to get more from the supply company. I just received the shipment yesterday, I used the Provent last night. Breathing using the Provent is getting to be more "normal" feeling (it still isn't as normal feeling as the APAP, though).

I'm really very very pleased with the Provent device. I feel great. I feel fully rested. And they are so easy to use. I don't have to worry about sleep positions or where the tubing is or the mask being pushed into and off of my face when I lay on my side. Since they are one-time use devices, I don't have to worry about cleaning them. I feel much more free not being connected to a machine. My neck doesn't hurt (which it always did after configuring my body to sleep with the CPAP tubing and mask.) My nasal passages are clear and not irritated.

The Provent device does take getting used to. You need to be ready to accept that it feels weird and to breathe through your mouth if necessary. Yes, my mouth became dry doing this. (But heck my mouth was dry for about a year when I was using my old CPAP device....it is only moist now that I got the S9 with the heated tube.)

I don't think the Provent is for everyone. The pressure on my APAP machine is at about 8.6 and I think this is a good match with the Provent. I tried both the lower resistance Provent and the higher resistance Provent. I'm sticking with the higher resistance version because I think it was more effective for me. And I don't really notice the difference of exhaling through the higher resistance version versus the lower resistance version.

A month's supply of Provent costs about $50 (I think that is what is was.) It isn't currently covered under my insurance policy but the supply company (Liberty) said that they expect insurance to start covering it towards the end of the year. You'll need a doctor's prescription to get a supply or sample of Provent.

I'm going to keep using the Provent. Definitely for camping and travel. I might even use it ALL the time instead of the APAP machine.

Seems like a real review to me. Doesn't feel like marketing copy and doesn't mention a lot of industry lingo. I'd say this is a person trying to contribute. What would help people know if you're a real person and not a marketer however is links to other reviews you've written outside of healthcare or something which shows you're a real person. Maybe a book review on Amazon or something? A linkedin profile? Normally, I'd say that's much to personal to share, but this provent product is doing some aggressive marketing so anything to get some unbiased information out there from a credible source would be great. When it comes to healthcare, I think the stakes are higher and we should go out of our way to build credibility to fight stupidity.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:54 am

rek101

Seems like a real review to me. Doesn't feel like marketing copy and doesn't mention a lot of industry lingo. I'd say this is a person trying to contribute.

rachlil1
Maybe rek101 is rachli1 redux????

Something is rotten in Denmark?
"It's not the number of breaths we take, it's the number of moments that take our breath away."