DoriC - Please Keep Her In Your Thoughts

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
codinqueen

Re: DoriC - Please Keep Her In Your Thoughts

Post by codinqueen » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:23 pm

I am praying for you, Dori & Mike. If there is anything you need that we can help you with, please post. Some of us have extra masks and mask parts if you need one for Mike, please post type and size and we will see what we can do to help you two, OK?

Pressure 6-10 cm

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:30 pm

Dori, I hope everything progresses well for Mike in rehab. I know I overuse the word "treasure" when talking about you, but you really are. A treasure to Mike, most of all, and to so many of your friends on this message board. I'll be thinking all good thoughts for both Mike and for you!
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

SleepyT

Post by SleepyT » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:07 am

Hey, Dori...just now found this thread. Sorry for your troubles! Wishing you and Mike all the best!

"Knowledge is power."

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:25 am

Hi All, just a quick update. We had the "big conference" Tues and I'm convinced they're keeping him in a debilitated state. He's much more capable than they're allowing him to be and want to keep him 2-3weeks more with very little activity which makes him sleep most of the day except for therapy in the morning. Then he's awake at night.He's developing the hospital mentality where he's asking for help when he can really do it himself. My antenna is way up! I've arranged for some help at home and I'll be seeing our own doctor today to see if he agrees with me. He hasn't been involved in his rehab care so I'll bring him up to date and hope he will help me arrange his discharge home. I may be wrong but I think he'll get his strength back at home. I'm totally exhausted and am looking forward to a good checkup today and a look at my recent blood work. Thanks for keeping us in your thoughts.

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:14 am

Stick with your gut and your guns DoriC. You know him better than anyone.
I really think the rehab facility was on their way to making my Dad a permanent resident with brain numbing drugs. I found out certain staff were giving him "as needed" pain meds without him asking for them and not telling him they were in the cup. Not to mention the underinflated airbed that made it impossibe for him to move himself around.

retrodave15

Post by retrodave15 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:32 am

Lizistired wrote:I really think the rehab facility was on their way to making my Dad a permanent resident with brain numbing drugs. I found out certain staff were giving him "as needed" pain meds without him asking for them and not telling him they were in the cup. Not to mention the underinflated airbed that made it impossible for him to move himself around.
Look up Lilly 5 at 5 campaign, where they were advocating that nursing homes would give 5mg of Zyprexa to calm down the residents at dinner time.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.h ... wanted=all

Halidol and Adtivan was also a favorite when I worked in a hopsital, some of the nurses called it "chemical restraints" for patients they did not want to deal with.

Stick to your guns and ask what and why for every medication he is getting. When my wife had a hysterectomy 2 years ago, and before here sleep apnea got treated, she woke up in the middle of the night and fell while she was trying to get to the bathroom, when I came in the next morning I found out that they gave her Halidol and Adtivan because she was "confused and combative" during the night. It was a very interesting "discussion" I had with the Resident, Attending and Director of Nursing the next morning as she did not ask for or need these medications.

Event Planner / Trade show Manager / Driver of the Winnebago

Newark, Ohio

Wife's Equipment: PRS1 AutoIQ w/ Cflex+, Swift FX for Her

Starlette

Post by Starlette » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:45 am

Good afternoon Dori.

I'm with the others, you know your spouse MUCH BETTER than the hospital staff, stick to your guns!!!
Thinking of you and Mike. So glad you're keeping us posted.

Starlette

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:02 pm

Just another note on the meds. Talking to the nursing staff is not enough. I learned the hard way that I had to call the Dr and get the script changed or cancelled. With Dad it was Tramadol. He was totally confused about why "I was fine at breakfast..." They were giving the max dose without even asking him.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:30 pm

My mother-in-law would have so stoned.
She was an ornery old bat; but we had the time to deal with her--and love--and patience.
You can't BUY that in a hospital or a nursing home.

tattooyu

Post by tattooyu » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:56 am

"Auntie" Dori,

I'm just catching up on what has been going on with you and Mike. I'm sorry I have been in communicado, but I have been dealing with bronchitis the last week or so, even on my birthday! Don't germs know they're not allowed to do that? Mike sounds like he's doing a bit better, but morale is so important when in the hospital (I remember with my dad).

All my love!
Sleep well and live better!

bleukats

Post by bleukats » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:46 am

My Prayers are with them...
Cure for Sleep Apnea: 7 Groundbreaking Treatments
here: http://links.datingfella.com/revolutionsleep

Grab A Great Rest Starting Tonight!
here: http://links.datingfella.com/sleeptech

portiemom

Post by portiemom » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:58 am

God Bless my friend, I agree with you that Mike will be less needy at home, I've seen it happen too many times, these nursing facilities over medicate, and IMHO they let folks languish until all their strength is zapped. Sending good vibes your way.

Madalot

Post by Madalot » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:20 am

Bump - Hope we can get an update when Dori's up to it.

Kiralynx

Post by Kiralynx » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:44 pm

Madalot wrote:Bump - Hope we can get an update when Dori's up to it.
Definitely!

Beastie, 2008-10-28. NEW Beastie, PRS1 960, 2014-05-14. NEWER Beastie, Dream Station ASV, 2017-10-17. PadaCheek Hosecover. Homemade Brandy Keg Chin Support. TapPap Mask.
Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:39 pm

We were supposed to go see our cardiologist Fri but Mike had another episode in the rehab Fri morning, they couldn't wake him up, he was breathing but semi-conscious. He's in he hospital again and they're thinking it's something abnormal with one of his cardiac enzymes along with some Afibs. He also picked up a bronchial infection so he's on antibiotics and other stuff. Today was an excellent day, almost his old self again. The nurse said he slept very well last night and his AHI was 4.0 with less leaks. Of interest is the fact his well experienced nurse had no problem calling me to ask some questions about his mask and any tips on how to fit it correctly. That never happend at the rehab and his sleep suffered. They kind of blew me off and told me they knew how to do everything! He had visitors today and enjoyed himself and stayed awake the whole time. He used his walker with the RT and did well. He will have to go back to rehab for a week or so until I get my homecare in place but I'll be speaking up loud and clear about how I expect him to be cared for there until I can get him out. I thought about changing rehabs but that would be too traumatic for Mike as he's familiar with the place and he's had so many changes already. Besides there's no guarantee that one is better than the other. I hear lots of horror stories. I'm hoping he'll feel even better tomorrow. I think tonight I will finally be able to get some decent sleep. Thanks for keeping us in your thoughts and hope everyone is sleeping well.

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08