The Great Vaseline™ Conspiracy of '06

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

The Great Vaseline™ __________ of '06

CONSPIRACY
14%
HOAX
24%
NO REALLY! I THINK WE'RE ON TO SOMETHING BIG!
22%
I'M NOT VOTING
41%

Total votes: 51

NightHawkeye

Re: A little confused...

Post by NightHawkeye » Tue May 02, 2006 6:58 am

NewbieNewton wrote:I'm confused: what on earth do Lee Raymond, Dick Cheney, caribou, Santa Claus, Bill O'Rielly, middle eastern shieks, the environmental movement, and vaseline have to do with a discussion on CPAP and Nasal Pillows?
Yeah, but where's Rush on this?

Post by Guest » Tue May 02, 2006 8:45 am

If ever a thread needed to die, or at least be put out of its misery, this is it...

m
Alright then. But once more before we go:

Well-meaning Alarmist wrote:Dear readers, do NOT be lulled into a false sense of security. For we can see, first hand,
the ill-effects of excessive vaseline inhalation:

John Doe. Age 22:

John Doe. Age 23:

Rush Limbaugh

Post by Rush Limbaugh » Tue May 02, 2006 9:15 am

Who's posting pictures of my little brother at the age of 22 and 23?

Perchancetodream

Re: OK!!

Post by Perchancetodream » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:43 pm

StillAnotherGuest wrote:
With regard to adults, Ikeda (1937) summarized 106 cases from the
literature, Graef (1939) 22 cases, Bishop (1940) 136 cases, Freiman et
al. (1940) 58 cases, and Moel & Taylor (1943) 20 cases. They concluded
that lipid pneumonia, especially the diffuse chronic form, occurs more
frequently in adults than is generally believed. Liquid paraffin is by
far the most important etiological agent in the adult. Debilitated
states, dysphagia and impaired cough reflexes, because of neurological
or other disorders, are important predisposing factors. The authors
stress, however, that mineral oil is widely used without evident harm,
even in elderly persons. Wherever there is a real indication for this
type of medication, they see no reason to discontinue it.
Extensive
use, especially self-medicated, of liquid paraffin intranasally or via
the oral route by debilitated or dysphagic patients should, however,
be discouraged (Bishop, 1940; Freiman et al., 1940)...

From the literature, it is apparent that with the recognition of
the causal factors and the change from oil-based to water-based
nose-drops, the incidence of the type of lipid pneumonia just
described has drastically decreased, since the end of the forties.
So here's the thing. Back when there was widespread use of this stuff, there was a significantly increased incidence of lipid pneumonia. It dropped off because people became aware of the dangers. But if you now have 10,000 sleeping nasal pillow patients use petroleum jelly for say, 3600 nights apiece over a ten-year period... I mean y'know? It's gonna happen.

While all this is great fun, even if everybody greasing up their pillows is thinking, "AHA, SAG is a rabble-rousing, hoaxifying, conspiring (oops, almost forgot annoying little) whatever", if they choose to use petroleum-based products, I'll bet they're at least being a whole lot more careful now than they were a week ago.

BTW, there's a high incidence of STD in caribou. So use protection. But if you use the pre-lubricated variety, then ...

It's been real.
SAG
According to the Health and Human Services Website: http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov/cg ... =TblBrands
the ingredient in Vaseline Petroleum Jelly is white mineral oil. There is no paraffin in the Vaseline. Although it the concern is the high incidence of STD in caribou, perhaps some hot paraffin would help...
"If space is really a vacuum, who changes the bag?" George Carlin

roster

Re: The Great Vaseline™ Conspiracy of '06

Post by roster » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:10 pm

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:12 pm

That's good ... we seem to be making some progress on catching up with old posts.
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

Perchancetodream

Post by Perchancetodream » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:21 pm

DreamStalker wrote:That's good ... we seem to be making some progress on catching up with old posts.

I'm so embarrassed.

I didn't realize how old this thread was when I responded. But it was suggested elsewhere on this forum yesterday that Vaseline was inappropriate for use by CPAPers and then this thread was at the top of the forum this morning.

Sorry,
Susan
"If space is really a vacuum, who changes the bag?" George Carlin

SleepGuy

Post by SleepGuy » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:26 pm

Susan, this thread is a CLASSIC and deserves to be bumped

It's kind of like watching Gilda Radner and John Belushi on a late night SNL rerun.

So no worries!
Try the Scented CPAP Mask with Pur-Sleep's CPAP Aromatherapy--CPAP Diffuser and Essential Oils.
"Love it, Love it, Love my PurSleep!"

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:28 pm

Perchancetodream wrote:
DreamStalker wrote:That's good ... we seem to be making some progress on catching up with old posts.

I'm so embarrassed.

I didn't realize how old this thread was when I responded. But it was suggested elsewhere on this forum yesterday that Vaseline was inappropriate for use by CPAPers and then this thread was at the top of the forum this morning.

Sorry,
Susan
No biggie I was just having a brief chuckle at your expense ... the US congress seems to be having a lot at my expense lately
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

roster

Post by roster » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:45 pm

Perchancetodream wrote:

I'm so embarrassed.

Sorry,
Susan
It came up because Amigo returned to the forum and he is the one that kicked this classic debate off. I am glad you bumped it (I did not want to take the blame for restarting it. )

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

Ric

Post by Ric » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:13 pm

Whoever started this should be TRACKED DOWN, CAPTURED, and TORMENTED night and day by the Dallas Cheerleaders:

(unfortunately, looks like it was Nighthawkeye started this)
He who dies with the most masks wins.

MrSandman

Post by MrSandman » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:15 pm

rooster wrote:Image

Ha - Rooster is right. I was searching old vaseline threads because of suggestion by him in a newer thread and I found this one and voted which bumped it to the top. LMAO...

He was right- this is some funny stuff - Oh and nice picture - good place to post a pile of democratic presidential promises...

Ready for my torment now
MrSandman - Send me a dream...

Hey, I wanted a cool name related to sleep...

SleepGuy

VaselineGate 2009

Post by SleepGuy » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:03 pm

Vaseline and the Nevada State Atheletic Commission:

http://msn.foxsports.com/boxing/story/9 ... -St-Pierre
Try the Scented CPAP Mask with Pur-Sleep's CPAP Aromatherapy--CPAP Diffuser and Essential Oils.
"Love it, Love it, Love my PurSleep!"

StillAnotherGuest

Because It Always Ends Up In The RLL

Post by StillAnotherGuest » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:14 am

Omigod, I can't begin to tell you how sorry I am to have perpetuated this whole thing!

Now when you walk into the doctor's office with pulmonary symptoms, every Tom, Dick and Shivani is interrogating the poor patients about nasal use of petroleum jelly:

You Did Use Vaseline, Didn't You?

On the other hand, if he had just admitted to it in the first place, they wouldn't have had to take his lung apart.

SAG

Aromatherapy may help CPAP compliance. Lavender, Mandarin, Chamomile, and Sweet Marjoram aid in relaxation and sleep. Nature's Gift has these and a blend of all four called SleepEase.

StillAnotherGuest

The Great Essential Oil Conspiracy of '09

Post by StillAnotherGuest » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:50 am

And I know why that Guy is here, he certainly has vested interests.

Anyway...

I have been in discussion with an Integrative Medicine Health Care Professional who is Certified in Aromatherapy. I asked them if they considered the PurSleep System as discussed on this board represented a safe route of administration and dosage approach to aromatherapy. They in turn posed the question to their mentors and contacts. The answer that I received was that it was not a recommended nor appropriate approach to aromatherapy. However, at least some of that reply is simply based on the lack of current evidence, pro- or con-, of the long term use of inhalational oils.

While it has been noted before that many of these essential oils have been used for years in alternative medicine, it should also be noted that the route of administration and duration of exposure of the PurSleep system has not been examined carefully for the possibility of untoward side effects. For instance, in the oft-quoted Goel study on the effect of inhaled lavender on sleep, study participants only had 8 minutes of contact time. Should Goel then be used to justify used EO inhalation of 400+ minutes?

At this point, given that there are a number of members who may be considered "long-term" users (12 to 18 months) of this product representing "prolonged exposure", I would like to know if anyone has pre- and post-EO exposure data on the following.

1. Change in oximetry trend (mean reading during night, spot check during day). Baseline and follow-ups may be obtained from original PSGs, serial PSGs and/or self-monitoring.
2. Change in screening spirometry values.
3. Change in complete Pulmonary Function Testing (PFT) values, particularly diffusion.
4. Symptomatic change in pulmonary function, as in decreased ability of aerobic exercise or increased shortness of breath on exertion.
5. Change in Liver Function Testing (LFT) results.
6. Unexplained significant illness or death of a pet that may have been exposed to essential oils, especially Liver Failure in Cats because no matter what that boy says about safety it ain't:

The Lavender Cat

SAG

Aromatherapy may help CPAP compliance. Lavender, Mandarin, Chamomile, and Sweet Marjoram aid in relaxation and sleep. Nature's Gift has these and a blend of all four called SleepEase.