Sleepyhead shutting down?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
palerider

Re: Sleepyhead shutting down?

Post by palerider » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:07 pm

zonker wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:58 pm
palerider wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:46 pm

There are linode data centers in a number of places around the world.

Mark and I picked Singapore for his 'server' since Singapore was the closest to Oz, because at the time, he was planning to host the source code there.

He since moved it to gitlab instead of diying it.
so, why are you using 'server' with quotes? what is the significance of that? is it the difference of hosting it yourself vs hiring?

curious minds want to know!
It's the difference in a physical machine, and something that's a little piece of a real physical machine. Basically that 'cloud' computing stuff.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Mark55

Post by Mark55 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:58 pm

Maybe I'm the odd man out here, but I can understand how a person could get a bit upset after spending that amount of time on a project, if another was trying to take any amount of credit for it other than helping.

I also fully understand a person needing to possibly 'go dark' if they are dealing with medical issues.

I don't know the history of this, so I could very well be misunderstanding the situation. Either way,....it seems to me that JediMark created quite a helpful program that has made a positive difference in many people's lives.

prodigyplace

Post by prodigyplace » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:16 pm

Mark55 wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:58 pm
Maybe I'm the odd man out here, but I can understand how a person could get a bit upset after spending that amount of time on a project, if another was trying to take any amount of credit for it other than helping.

I also fully understand a person needing to possibly 'go dark' if they are dealing with medical issues.

I don't know the history of this, so I could very well be misunderstanding the situation. Either way,....it seems to me that JediMark created quite a helpful program that has made a positive difference in many people's lives.
Jedimark has said he is stopping work entirely and changed the SleepyHead page so you cannot easily download it. He also told me he expects donations to stop & he would shut down his server. We currently have copies available should that happen.

Please visit our sponsor, CPAP.com at https://www.cpap.com/ for all your CPAP needs.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:45 pm

Mark55 wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:58 pm
See, that's where the lies have started.

I was lurking on the development forums.

*NOBODY* suggested anything of the sort.

Mark had 'gone away' again, like he does... leaving buggy software, like he does. (Windows users have had to avoid making Sleepyhead 1.0 full screen for *three years* now... even though it wouldn't have taken more than a few hours to fix that bug and release a fix.)

He was working on 1.1, and then had a snit last summer, and disappeared again... he says now that 1.1 was *fatally flawed*, but I don't remember seeing that talked about in the dev chat....

Recently, what DID start being talked about was "hey, let's go ahead and fix the biggest bugs in 1.1 so that people can use it, while Mark does whatever he's doing, (if anything).

Nobody said "let's take it over", nobody said "Let's get rid of mark", nobody said "let's steal his work"...

These were all people that were on (for want of a better term) "the team", and ALL they wanted to do was what they'd been brought on the team to do... HELP.

Of course, we've seen what the reaction to that was.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

jedimark

Post by jedimark » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:27 am

Palerider, how ENTITLED can you get?

You're seriously going to tell a free software volunteer how they should have devoted even a single millisecond of their volunteered time?

Your over-entitlement was the very reason I was forced to kick you out of SleepyHead's dev circle all those years ago: You, with your narcissistic soul-draining attitude nearly killed the project back then, and now, you, you ever-leaking pustule of vitriolic indecency, played a big part in my final decision to put an end to this project... I should thank you though, I'm thoroughly done dealing with defective neanderthals like you, and you were that necessary proverbial "straw" that "broke the camel's back".

[EDIT: Whoops, Wrong bug... Still a poor example, it was also a QT REGRESSION that broke that one too, it was Fixed by a recent QT update]

I don't recall forcing anyone to use SleepyHead. I just tried to do my absolute best given my circumstances and limited resources.. I don't recall having met any other unpaid volunteer who's had so much DEMANDED from them on top of all the work they did for free already.

I hadn't gone anywhere... I was ALWAYS contactable... I made myself pretty darn CLEAR to the Discord team that the next phase required a good 3 MONTHS OF FULL POWER TOTALLY NON-DISTRACTED CRUNCH EFFORT (ie. 19 hour days with near polyphasic sleep away from my family, like I had done already for most of the 4 PREVIOUS MONTHS minus the lack of distractions) to complete the next phase, before I realized that I was being pressured by a couple with entitled arrogant attitudes MUCH like yours in the group to do something I should not have had to rush. My family comes first! None of that priority shifting was kept a secret, I let Arie know and he was tasked with communicating that message, and for flips sake, even VICE motherboard reported on it.

If the "team" REALLY wanted to speed it up they could have organised a kickstarter/fundraiser or something to actually help... my code's free, but my time sure is NOT.

In July/August after HAVING ALREADY PUT OVER ONE WORK YEAR WORTH OF LABOUR INTO SLEEPYHEAD ALREADY IN 2018, I pulled the brakes on, and ramped up work on COMMERCIAL projects so I could FUND future SleepyHead development without my wife having to pay for the vast majority of my project time. From that moment forward I CHOSE to work NORMAL speed on SleepyHead like any other FOSS developer, just like it should have been all along (SHOCK HORROR!), and then I THOROUGHLY ENJOYED taking December/January OFF, the same as I always do when my daughter has school holidays and my house is too noisy to work.. It's my family time, and nobody has a right to interfere with that.

I may not have been the world's fastest programmer, and I'm definitely nowhere near the best, but I've not seen all that many independent (SELF FUNDED) developer backed FOSS full complex GUI application projects see a release all that much more often than SleepyHead was, so shut the hell up, you ignorant deluded ass.

You can't impregnate 9 women to make a baby in 1 month... same goes for throwing more people at colossal task only SleepyHead's author who knew the codebase inside out could complete.

The was a Hostile Takeover by ApneaBoard, the exact same crap happened in Feb/March last year too, lead by exactly the people. I had to deal with exactly the same crap then, by entitled jerks who think I owed them something... and back then NONE of us could work on codebase until I found to move it forward again. This time around they only gained traction because they got to Arie Klerk, who was desperate to push me away from my decision to move Sleepyhead ahead to where it needed to go.

Now go play with your crappy alarm clocks and kindly find a corner to die in!

Additional Comments: CMS50D+/F Oximeter, S9 VPAP Auto/Adapt, PRS1 Auto, Intellipap Auto, SleepyHead :)
Last edited by jedimark on Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Author of the free, cross platform, open-source sleep tracking software SleepyHead.
Download http://sleepyhead.jedimark.net
Source Code http://gitlab.com/sleepyhead/sleepyhead-code

justvisiting

Post by justvisiting » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:05 am

seriously? Doxing now?

You might want to edit your last tirade before a real shitstrom brakes loose. Even your last "supporter" should now see your real 'motivations' behind all this.

jedimark

Post by jedimark » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:11 am

justvisiting wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:05 am
seriously? Doxing now?

You might want to edit your last tirade before a real shitstrom brakes loose. Even your last "supporter" should now see your real 'motivations' behind all this.
I agree, that was harsh and ill thought out... There's much more better ways than that for me to call that disgusting pig out.

Additional Comments: CMS50D+/F Oximeter, S9 VPAP Auto/Adapt, PRS1 Auto, Intellipap Auto, SleepyHead :)
Author of the free, cross platform, open-source sleep tracking software SleepyHead.

justvisiting

Post by justvisiting » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:32 am

honestly: stop it! You are making it worse - far more than it already is.
As I said - and I meant it: I feel you! I do not agree with everything you did or did not do and especially how you handled this one.

But you are playing with what is left of you and Sleepyhead. You just crossed a line (and fixed it, after beeing called out for it) that should not be crossed - never!
We - as the users of SleepyHead - entrust you and your program with very sensitve personal and medical data. SH has an auto-update function and you have so far complete control of the binaries released over your server (and most likely the mirrors that popped up in the last few days have the same).
This has come to the point of madness!
God forbid you decide in the future or in your next outbreak that you want all our data and do whatever with it - or use it for some more doxing. (Hey look - he's a pilot and non-compliant -.-)

Stop it - before you reach the point when there has to be explicitly warned before using SleepyHead from you. Which might or not be an obstacle for your future plans with it.

Cool down and see what emerges after the dust has settled. You are only hurting yourself, your reputation and the reputation SH has build.

jedimark

Post by jedimark » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:04 am

Look at SleepyHead's commit history during that entire session of work on 1.1 codebase last year: https://gitlab.com/sleepyhead/sleepyhea ... its/master

Everyone accusing me of not being a team player... yet from the 20th of March to 14th of June, there was precisely *2* MR's by someone other than myself, and both were on the same day from someone updating *README* files with build instructions (which I'm not knocking and really appreciate)...

Previous to that a commit is crapstorm caused by one of Pholy's failed Merge Requests.. It's not hard to sync properly before submitting code.. he screwed up twice more after that. He either could not get them in, or he just didn't want to do as requested. I ceased accepting anything from him after that because he just flatly refused to listen and resync his corrupted fork.

People kept trying to use me as a lacky to get their pet bugs solved, instead of stepping up and fixing any themselves. I repeatedly told them I didn't have the time to work on 1.1 codebase, and encouraged them to step up if they wanted to see the 1.1 release, or else I had to close the codebase.

The whole time that I was still working towards the possibility of an interim build, I was constantly distracted and getting forced to backport any fixes I picked up in my 2.0 code review and database rework, until I reached the point I got sick of doing everything twice. I'd only rather fix the bugs once, and it made more sense fixing them in 2.0 after the code review and database upgrade.

So, um, please tell me... when exactly *was* I going to see some actual CODE out of this team to help along the interim release they all wanted so bad? The only person really helping me with actual development was Heynes, who was hacking data DV6 data formats (which again, majorly appreciated, and looking back I wish prioritised more on working on that with him, and ignoring the others.. would have been nice having that machine support finished for at least a test build).

The rest where waiting around like vultures for me to keep supplying a constant stream of commits, nagging me to fix bugs that I already knew would be made completely irrelevant from my 2.0 work (because I had to rewrite those sections), or demanding I insert translations into a test version I only made to test a critical flaw and packaging model...while I kept telling them outright I needed to focus on 2.0, because there was a major critical flaw making all of this codebase useless.

There was too many testers, and not enough coders. I was literally stuck doing ALL of the development work, while others dared to disrespect my choice to close 1.1 down.

CPAPjunkie

Post by CPAPjunkie » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:11 am

Just got this program yesterday.... now tainted by drama.. removed

I do appreciate the level of effort put into it.... I don’t appreciate the drama..

prodigyplace

Post by prodigyplace » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:34 am

CPAPjunkie wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:11 am
Just got this program yesterday.... now tainted by drama.. removed

I do appreciate the level of effort put into it.... I don’t appreciate the drama..
The drama will die down.
The program is one of the most useful tools here and for many people using CPAP.
It is extremely rare for the CPAP professional to adjust the machine for the best results. This SleepyHead program reveals to us as users the data to optimally adjust settings ourselves and get competent advice from the experienced people here.

Please visit our sponsor, CPAP.com at https://www.cpap.com/ for all your CPAP needs.

prodigyplace

Post by prodigyplace » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:08 am

Mark,

You cannot control the actions of others but you can, & MUST control how you respond. There are many people here & elsewhere who want to support you but cannot support your current outbursts.

Notice here how those outbursts are actually starting to drive people away from your useful work.

People are here for you to support you once you calm down. Calming down should help relieve your physical migraine headache too.

Please give this some serious thought.

justvisiting

Post by justvisiting » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:19 am

I really appreciate the time you took to sum that up - nicely worded. Once again: I feel you.

The main problem for everyone is your communication - or more the absence of it. You say you could be reached by everyone all the time. Yet, all I see are public threads of willingly coders reaching out desperately seeking for a way to establish contact. This in not an offense - it is your time - I perfectly understand the need for not beeing reachable at all from time to time.
But YOUR contact or communication pattern changes all the time - use this one or another board, use facebook, use sourceforge, use gitlab, now use discord - no now just email - no now use the contact form on my homepage - now whatever. (and frankly: who cares any more?)

You expect others to use your tools and communication ways - and keep up with it. If they don't it is their fault and not yours.
If someone does not keep up with that and understands or misinterpretes the lack of any information - not for weeks or a few months, but for periods of nearly YEARS - as "JediMark has stopped actively working on it" and thus tries to do something on their own, you come back and all hell breaks loose. This really must be motivating for everyone!

As you pointed out: there are experienced coders missing. Not everyone works with GIT or is able to do a proper commit. Why should one even bother? It is not like you where answering merge-requests anyway. If you have been actively submitting it was like gunfire - I doubt that everyone is an advanced FOSS-Coder and is able to pull and merge your submits. (I can see that there was nothing big enough to acutally pull - but who starts with a big merge-request just to check if you respond at all?)

SleepyHead is a grown software. Please forgive me if I make this comparison, but SH is something like a very well designed and crafted bicycle which became over the time a camper or more of a truck (an extra large one). The code is astonishingly complex. And I don't mean that only in a bad way.
Yes, I'm all with you: major rewrite is long overdue. Whoever does NOT see that has not even tried to look on the code and is most likely not capable to understand it either. (And as a result will only make it worse.)

As you and palerider spoke of the fullscreen bug: I fixed that one for me. (I am not a coder on your terms.) It was (until QT 5.10 I believe) a Bug in the QT-Framework, the OpenGL Context in combination with intels implementation of shared contexts to be precise (and that only on some of intels platforms), haven't looked at 5.12 yet but in 5.11 it wasn't completely fixed either. There are at least 5 ways (that I know of and tried out) to mitigate or circumvent the resulting "stuck in Fullscreen" Bug in the 1.0.0 codebase - some of them negating each other if applied in combination. I actually wanted to submit my solutions as soon as I heard your are "back".
Go figure - Database has changed, the browser is gone completely, lots of rewrite ... I wasn't even able to build your code at that time with the prebuild binaries of QT. I really tried to pull your code - apply my changes and put in a merge request. But building and thus testing was a no go for me. For sure I could have grabbed the sources of QT and build from there (or at least see if that builds at all) - I did not see the point as I couldn't see any changes of QT you may or may not have made.
How exactly do you want that submitted? I don't know - provide a way for me, that I can understand and use and I will do! ... but please don't expect me to learn Git or whatever.
With the complexity of SH there a like a million options to fix 1 "bug" - do it on the surface (like in the loader or the gui for example) or do it in the underlying backend and look what else gets broken because on some other place in the code someone (you) worked around the exact same "bug". Maybe it is not even a bug but was so by design. For example: Day::summaryOnly() Not much documentation - the name is pretty clear to me. What it does is the complete opposite of what I expected - and looking at the code and the use of that function I am not alone. The Bug with the funny integeroverflow in the overview, some of the notice-bugs - they all came down to that function. (If I recall correctly - but that function was involved in some annoying bugs - annoying FOR ME!)
Solution: fix that! ... Oh holy crap - you worked around that "bug" in some other important funtions. Guess what? Those break if you change that - what do? Fix the Backendfunction or work around it on the surface or fix it in the session or when that flag is set? Or just follow the workarounds floating around to avoid those sitations?

Write a fix and submit it - wait for YOU to come back and change the underlying backend or core-API and see that your fix just went up in flames - but the bug remains. For sure - that is fun!

I was excited as I heard 1.1 is out - didn't even compile - read that the whole database has changed. I stopped right there! And man, I am glad now that I did. If I actually would have put effort into it, right now that would be up in smoke. I WAS actually on your wide-spread "join me on discord" ... But I never saw you there. Looked pretty much like a muted hanging out. Yes, I saw some infos about another discord-server ... but honestly: why even bother? Questions about where you are or how to contact you ended up in nobody knowing. And honestly I don't care who knew! Asking around for just any - even the slightest - insight in the code or why some things are the way the are: nothing - nobody knows or cares - and you are out of reach.

You pretty much expect a little bit too much from all the others - or YOUR community.

Please don't get me wrong. I don't want to point out bugs or make your work look crappy - I want to point out a problem: And I believe I am not alone with that.
The code is enough complex at it is - but the actual problem is: nobody knows what should do what and why things are like they are. Nobody - except you! And you don't want to be bothered or disturbed at all.
So please explain to me in simple words: HOW in the world should I (or anyone else) help YOU out? - HOW?

You ask for help. (Yes! YOU DID!) And than go dark - maybe not completely but at least for the majority. No problem so far - but than don't come back blaming everyone that you where overwhelmed - overwhelmed with work and expectations!
As pointed out: the "fullscreen bug" was not that easy to fix for real - removing the option for the fullscreen completely might have been an option - or at least don't revert to fullscreen on start. From the outside it might look like an easy fix. Just telling everyone to simply not go into fullscreen too. But it was and in 1.0.0 still is a very annoying bug, that in the end renders the program useless once you are stuck in that and don't have the knwoledge to get out. (simply hitting F11 doesn't work nowadays where all the Fn-Keys have some special device-dependant functions and hitting Fn together obviously is too complicated for the average user)

SleepyHead all in all is beautiful - for sure it has its bugs - which software does not? Nothing too critical mostly just a little bit annoying from time to time.
But what it is: it is way toooooo complex to just chime in and help out a little bit. You are either in or you are not. (At least I don't see something in between)

And You, JediMark, are not making it easy to actually help out! And that one is and stays ON YOU!

By the time someone scratched beyond the surface of SH and tried out some things you changed the code completely and the very time consuming process of wrapping the head around your new code starts right from the beginning - just frustrating! Any documentation at all? - Dead loss.

In the context of 1.1 beeing a dead end: What exactly do you expect? People to chime in to understand 1.1. fix some things out of thin air and wait for 2.0 just to start it all over again? You haven't even given any information aboput 2.0 - besides that it is something brand new and a license change is around the corner. Seeing your thoughts about IP and how much you value the input (if there ever was any) from others, I can clearly understand why noone is eager to help out. (Noone capable of actually helping out that is! Not the ones beeing lucky enough to actually talk to you for a second and directly starting to call you their best friend and speaking or relaying "information" in your name.)

The key to all of that is: communication!
Yes, it is time comsuming and annoying - but it is f***ing necessary!
And you simply do NOT communicate, nothing! - but everyone has to keep up and know it all. - Everyone except you.

And I am not talking about "your team" or whoever had access to that elite communication channel of yours, where all the informations that are now made public here for the first time was maybe already available - If you had a problem just with those it wouldn't be as public as it is now.

Think about that - just for one moment. The user is a (crucial) part of the program! If you see the user as an obstacle or problem: stop coding.

In any way it should be interesting to see how the other forks (at least the very few that are not completely orphaned) react to your decision.
The "AST" on the apneaboard looks pretty much like a stillbirth as they are repeating the very same problem all over again: private and shielded 'whatever' with pretty high "criteria" to get onboard - much like last time ... most likely with the same kind of folks ending up there.
And of course: expectations! ... expectations and hopes above all - and those quite demanding. Might be interesting to see who actually has the balls to withstand that and finally step up. I have some ideas about who it will not be.

Nevertheless the ship has sailed. Maybe you think about some of this for the next time or your next project. Or at least: next time you feel like this - SIMPLY DON'T ... just go offline for some days and think over your reaction (and if one is really necessary) twice. And I say that because I can quite figurative imagine your reaction if someone steps up with a real fork.

prodigyplace

Post by prodigyplace » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:27 am

Actually what is out there for 1.1 compiles but requires Qt 5.9 & newer. I have compiled it both on Windows & Linux.
What OS platform are you using?
I have even made Windows installers of 1.1 using the QTInstaller 3.0 framework.

I do not have a MacOS device, so I have not tested that.

Let me know & perhaps I can assist. From a technical perspective, the major change in 1.1, other than adding a machine or 2, was to rebuild the graphics of SleepyHead removing the obsolete QTWebKit that had halted development. There are some graphical bugs remaining and the Help system based on QTHelp still needs some data to the stub that is there,

These changes allow SleepyHead to develop. I understand there are major flaws in the underlying database design hat Mark was working to address in SleepyHead 2.

justvisiting

Post by justvisiting » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:39 am

prodigyplace wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:27 am
Actually what is out there for 1.1 compiles but requires Qt 5.9 & newer. I have compiled it both on Windows & Linux.
What OS platform are you using?
I have even made Windows installers of 1.1 using the QTInstaller 3.0 framework.

I do not have a MacOS device, so I have not tested that.
you are missing my point! Read it again.
I simply do no longer care! I stopped with 1.1 the second I read "everything has changed" and now: it is a dead end anyway.

I have a perfectly working version of "sleepyhead" on my computer - absolutely bugfree for me. As explained above: I did not release it and after JediMark made it clear under which (partly ridiculous) circumstances those versions could be shared or submitted I happily will never share. I don't change every occurence of the word SleepyHead in it or change all pictures and Icons - who would I be to do that just to share it or give back?
As long as I don't release it I don't need to share anything. Seeing JediMarks expectations on such a release I would be pretty much stupid to do such an insane thing.

However I admire everyone who does that or puts up with such crap.