How to stop back Straps from "sliding up".... for Men?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

Re: How to stop back Straps from "sliding up".... for Men?

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:47 am

Yup, HH, I have the same mask and the same "ride up" problems. Like you said, you just deal with it.
CSB

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:45 pm

Guest wrote:I'm new to this forum. Are you able to post pics here? I also had trouble with my strap, I cut it and moved the top and bottom straps closer together, Mrs. sewed it and that helped me.
When you become a member, this works for pics in general, but the first part focuses on Sleepyhead, so go down to the fourth link.
First: Here’s the link on where to get free Sleepyhead software:
http://www.sleepfiles.com/SH2/?TestingVersions
If you like Sleepyhead and use it, please try to donate to Mark for his great work… the ‘donate’ link/button is about halfway down this page.
-------------------------------
Here, in order, are the three excellent links that graphically show you how to get the correctly sized Sleepyhead images to show up in your CPAPtalk post:
https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead/shorganize
https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepy ... screenshot
https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur
Don’t worry if you blow it the first time… most of us did!

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

Robespierre

Post by Robespierre » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:29 pm

I loop a strip of cloth through the back strap and tie it loosely under my chin. Works fine.

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:52 pm

Robespierre wrote:I loop a strip of cloth through the back strap and tie it loosely under my chin. Works fine.
Old cutup headgear straps can work You might need to get creative if you need a longer piece.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

library lady

Post by library lady » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:28 pm

Some headgear is available in a cap style... CapPap is one of them, and here is one I found online at cpap.com: https://www.cpap.com/productpage/softcap-headgear. You could also google CapPap or cap style cpap headgear to possibly find other styles. You might be able to create one yourself or have a wife/girlfriend/mother who could do this, using parts of your current headgear sewn or pinned on to it for attaching the mask.

Now using AirFit F10 mask; Quattro Air is backup mask. RemZzzz mask liners with both.

leeuniverse

Post by leeuniverse » Fri May 13, 2016 8:05 am

Hey all..... just an update letting you know what's been happening.
Was starting to get much better being on the CPAP for about 3 months, was so excited, was literally about a week away from starting to exercise a little every day to get stronger and stronger.
I then had an issue in which I burned my through somehow, either silent acid reflux from a new toothpaste I was using or the toothpaste itself (one of those triple combos).
So had that bad coughing issue for 3 months, wasn't able to be on the cpap and went back to zero losing all my progress.

For the last month got back on the CPAP again found out I could stop the strap from going up by pulling up all my hair up over the bottom strap, and finally had been getting the best sleep ever, would even sleep like 9 hours some nights, 7-8 most, the full night, don't remember waking up once save very briefly from the stupid hose of the 2nd mask design I've been using, cause it's all loose.
Anyway, that was great, I was fortunately well enough to Baptize/Confirm my youngest son (and see my ex be a hypocrite, she actually threw me and our sweet family away because I had sleep apnea, she thought I was a lazy loser). Though, I couldn't baptize him, trained my oldest to do it at the last minute, cause I couldn't fit in the biggest jumper they had, even though I tried to prevent the problem, but not enough. But still confirmed him, and my oldest did excellent, of course I'm a good trainer too lol. Turned out really well.

Anyway, had to cut all my hair off for the baptism and things went bad again, and I had been trying the "beenie" method, but that didn't work at all, cause it would just slide off my head the strap after it, oddly ended up being worse than using nothing at all, lol.
So, I'm at going to try some of the other methods mentioned in this thread. Going to try the wrap cloth around back strap and front of chin method first, since that's no money required, think I can find something to rip up or something, and we will see, going from there. Will return and report. Thanks all.

If there are any other suggestions, let me know....

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Fri May 13, 2016 8:24 am

I used to have this problem before starting to use a cervical collar. The top of the collar comes up far enough to cover the bottom strap of my mask and keeps it from riding up.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

leeuniverse

Post by leeuniverse » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:09 pm

Okay, so I'm really frustrated.... need serious help.

- I've tried athletic tape, and it doesn't work either. It might work, but I need someone to help me do it to do it the way it likely needs to be done to work, can't do it myself. Since my wife threw me away because I had sleep apnea I don't have anyone anymore.
- Tried a Hose cover to wrap around the back and over my chin, and it doesn't work well enough. That might be something that might work if they actually designed it that way with a second strap.
- Haven't tried the Velcro idea yet, but if other things don't work it likely won't work enough.

I'm out of options it seems. When I had the long hair it worked perfect, pulling it over.
I want to try the women's stocking option, but that will be something else to beg for someone to guy for me. It might help given it's "clingy" nature, but anyway.

What can I do to simulate my hair being pulled up to stop the strap from moving up?
I'm not going to try a cervical collar for various standard reasons related to already mentioned issues.
I'm so ticked off the lack of quality control with these CPAP makers. Most common problem after air leaks, and people can't make fracking strap system that doesn't move.

Is there anything else I can do???

Hose_Head

Post by Hose_Head » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:00 am

You might want to explore WHY the mask is moving around so much. I can't speak for others but in my experience my Resmed Activa LT does not move around very much: rarely enough to cause any leaks and even then, never more than a nudge to the mask cannot stop the leak. And my hair is not very long (but not short, either).

Are you using a hose management system? Is the hose under tension such that it's constantly pulling the mask away from you (not a good thing). Are you a particularly active sleeper, tossing and turning all night?

Since long hair seemed to be a solution for you, why not just let your hair grow again!
I'm workin' on it.

yaconsult

Post by yaconsult » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:32 am

I agree that a hose hanger might be worth a try here. It keeps the hose from getting tangled in anything and keeps it out of your way so that nothing pulls on your mask. I love my hose hanger and it was less than $12 on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/North-American-He ... 0034CHMRU/ There are nicer, fancier ones available from our sponsor, cpap.com. And some people prefer to make their own and have posted instructions on how they did so in this forum. Just search for things like "hose hanger" and "hose management" and "hose holder", etc.

With the hose coming down over my pillow from overhead, I can turn left and right or lay on my back and the hose never pulls on my mask.

andycole

Post by andycole » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:43 am

you might take a look at this. It is a Velcro strap.
PAD A CHEEK® Mask Stabilizer Strap

ger365

Post by ger365 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:27 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:How long is your back hair? Is it oily?
Have you tried "butch wax"? Or is that still made?
I haven't used that since the 60's...good idea for many tho...I went to "white rain" light hair spray way back when...easy to brush/comb out int the morning.

sleepcrush

Post by sleepcrush » Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:43 pm

Try a large men's plain white t-shirt. Wear the whole thing like a hood on your head, and then put the mask and straps on top.

Start with the neckline of the shirt placed directly above your forehead, with the left+right sleeves dangling down each side of your head (covering the ears), and the rest of the shirt going down the back of your head / neck / upper back. If the shirt is large enough (or your head small enough), you should be able to take the two sleeves and tie a little soft knot underneath your chin. It doesn't have to be tight. This will stabilize the shirt on your head, and also acts as an adjustable chinstrap. Then simply put on the mask on top, like normal. It might help to prevent the sliding.

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:53 pm

I used the strap that they use as a tourniquet for drawing blood on the back of my mask and it stopped sliding up. I have hair on the back of my head and that helped, so I'm sure those of you who have less can appreciate this.

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)

Diamondminek

Post by Diamondminek » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:39 pm

I wonder if hairspray would help? It's used to keep hair bands and fascinators in place, so maybe?