Anyone try "Nose Breathe for Heavy Mouth Breather" device?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
wally13

Anyone try "Nose Breathe for Heavy Mouth Breather" device?

Post by wally13 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:03 pm

I came across this mouth breathing device that sounds like it could help CPAP users that use nose pillows (Swift FX). Many CPAP users experience air loss through the mouth as the jaw drops and CPAP air escapes. I hate to see my leak rates over 13 and wake up with dry mouth. This forum has suggested such mouth breathing solutions like using chinstraps, boil and bite mouth guards, taping lips shut, training your tongue to seal your air flow when you sleep etc. .... and each or combination of some all seem to help.

Has anybody used Dr. Steven K. Sue oral appliances "Nose Breathe for Heavy Mouthbreathers" and "Nose Breathe with Oral Shield" ? They are expensive but may be a viable solution for mouth breathing. His website has some interesting reading on the value of breathing through your nose.

Currently I use a cheap boil and bite (no chin strap) with my Swift FX and it does a reasonably good job of keeping mouth breathing to a minimum.

http://www.nosebreathe.com/index.html

M.D.Hosehead

Re: Anyone try "Nose Breathe for Heavy Mouth Breather" device?

Post by M.D.Hosehead » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:03 pm

I'm curious about this, too. Hasn't anyone tried it?

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:57 pm

There are several posts in the tape/mouthleaks links, written by people who ordered the "Nose Breathe" device.

I know, I know...this is a lot to wade through.. LOL!
LINKS to: Mouth leaks - Air Leaks - Tape - DIY Guard
viewtopic.php?t=8011

So, I'll see if I can dig out a couple of the topics where people were discussing the Nose Breathe device.

May 24, 2006 subject: NoseBreathe
topic started by Ellen
viewtopic.php?t=9427

Apr 29, 2006 subject: nose breathe dental appliance
topic started by Ellen
viewtopic.php?t=8870

Aug 15, 2005 subject: Dr. Sue is BAAAACK!
topic started by fnorette
viewtopic.php?t=4180

Aug 05, 2005 subject: anyone have any news about Dr Sue?
topic started by kenrose
viewtopic.php?t=4015

Jul 24, 2005 subject: Review of dental appliance to stop mouth leaks the "NoseBreathe" appliance by Dr. Sue.
topic started by Kermit
viewtopic.php?t=3807
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

wally13

Post by wally13 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:06 am

Rested Gal,

Thanks for supplying the links for Nosebreathe. Not sure I will buy one. My cheap boil and bite works pretty well at reducing mouthbreathing.

M.D.Hosehead

Post by M.D.Hosehead » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:51 pm

Thanks, RG.

Coulda' done my own search.

Forgot

Post by Forgot » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:26 pm

I use a mask that covers nose and mouth. Then I can mouth breathe if need be.

mtsleep

Post by mtsleep » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:01 pm

I own and operate two sleep facilities in Montana. We routinely refer our patients to the nosebreathe website. This website offers two different oral appliances that will prevent mouth breathing, but essentially positioning the tongue where it belongs in the mouth to prevent air from entering the oral cavity.

My husband uses this device along with nasal pillows. I have witnessed him in REM sleep with his mouth wide open and NO AIR coming out at all using this device. He is on CPAP of 10cm. Hope this helps. It has worked for about 95% of the patients who have tried it.

This device works best for those patients who can breathe through their nose easily, but just tend to open their mouth in sleep.

Kitatonic

Post by Kitatonic » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:28 pm

So which devise does your husband use with CPAP and how was that determined?

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:43 pm

So what happens if you are wearing an oral device like this (or the athletic mouthguard),
and you suddenly "cough a rainbow"? Where does your lunch go?

SleepingUgly

Post by SleepingUgly » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:23 pm

mtsleep wrote:This website offers two different oral appliances that will prevent mouth breathing, but essentially positioning the tongue where it belongs in the mouth to prevent air from entering the oral cavity.
Which ones are you referring to?
My husband uses this device along with nasal pillows.
Which device?
Never put your fate entirely in the hands of someone who cares less about it than you do. --Sleeping Ugly

Hivoltfl

Post by Hivoltfl » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:36 pm

What a GREAT place, wish I had found out about this site years ago, thanks for the links, you all are great!

Guy

mtsleep

Post by mtsleep » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:34 pm

I commented on the nosebreathe devices in 2013. I ordered both the nosebreathe and the heavy mouth breather devices for my husband. He wore the nosebreathe device for the first 6 months, stating that the HMB made him have too much saliva in his mouth.....but as men will do, he left it on the bedside table and the beagle named Kevin ate it.
I had him switch to the heavy mouth breather and reordered the nosebreathe device. When it came, my dear husband never switched back to the nosebreathe from the HMB. He said it felt like it worked better???? In any case, the leak is always good, the AHI is always <2 and he wears CPAP of 10cm with the P10 nasal pillows and the HMB device from Dr. Sue.

Dr. Sue's device is the only reason that my husband tolerates CPAP. So there is my story... The beagle has eaten 2 more of the HMB devices since 2013. ...It is a good thing he is so cute.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:57 pm

mtsleep wrote:I commented on the nosebreathe devices in 2013. I ordered both the nosebreathe and the heavy mouth breather devices for my husband. He wore the nosebreathe device for the first 6 months, stating that the HMB made him have too much saliva in his mouth.....but as men will do, he left it on the bedside table and the beagle named Kevin ate it.
I had him switch to the heavy mouth breather and reordered the nosebreathe device. When it came, my dear husband never switched back to the nosebreathe from the HMB. He said it felt like it worked better???? In any case, the leak is always good, the AHI is always <2 and he wears CPAP of 10cm with the P10 nasal pillows and the HMB device from Dr. Sue.

Dr. Sue's device is the only reason that my husband tolerates CPAP. So there is my story... The beagle has eaten 2 more of the HMB devices since 2013. ...It is a good thing he is so cute.
The beagle or the husband?

Sounds like one (or both) of them needs "training".

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:56 pm

Maybe it's time to wean the dog off to cheaper chew toys, or stop tieing the HMB around your husband's neck. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Tango

Post by Tango » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:46 pm

I am very interested in these devices. I plan on continuing my cpap but want a mouth guard so I don't mouth breath when I am asleep.
But, how do I know these rant glorified 5 dollar football mouth pieces.
What is the difference between these and what high schoolers use in football?