Review of dental appliance to stop mouth leaks

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Kermit

Review of dental appliance to stop mouth leaks

Post by Kermit » Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:43 am

Hello, I first posted this on another board. I thought I would share it here. Thanks RestedGal for reminding me.

Posted on TAS 7/23/2005:

Thanks to Frequentseeker, I found out about this device that works just like the DIY Frequent came up with months ago and so many here made from sporting goods store mouth guards.

This review covers my own experience with this device over a very short period of time. I am a profound mouth leaker and have been coping by using tape and ACE chin straps. I tried to make Frequent's DIY but failed to make a comfortable one that stayed in place.

Mouth leakage completely de-rails my cpap treatment, I can feel the effect of leakage immediately upon waking. Often the tape fails, leaks and I wake up feeling like I was run over by a cement truck.

Frequent pointed me to Steven K. Sue, D.D.S., M.S., Inc. of http://www.nosebreathe.com in Hawaii. I agreed to be the test patient and ordered the appliance, $80.

Within days I received a kit that consisted of : 2 different size mouth trays, 2 containers of putty, instructions, zip lock bag, a sturdy plastic box and postage paid envelope to return impression.

You knead the two putties into a roll and place into the mouth tray most appropriate to size of your mouth. You bite hard and wait a couple of minutes. Remove, rinse mouth and place tray with bite impression in the zip lock then into the plastic box for protection. Mail back in the enclosed stamped envelope.

Got email from Dr Sue explaining his assesment of my bite and mouth and that I would soon be receiving the device, I did within a week after email.

The device appears to be well made and the quality appeared high as no rough edges or uneveness could be detected. I washed it well and tried it on. It wears very snug and a good fit, no wiggle room, in fact it takes a bit of practice to pull it down and out. It seems to get easier to remove each passing day.

As to performance, it seems to do the job. I could not detect leakage, blow fish cheeks or anything else I normally experience. The test for me is how I feel in the morning and that has been as good as with tape and ACE chin strap. Will check for leakage numbers when I get around to using my autopap with data logging, I am currently using a straight cpap.

My tongue fits very comfortably on the shelf as it is a flat shelf with a smooth V cut into it to allow the bottom of tongue to fit comfortably. I can feel end of tongue in place and I sometimes feel that it stays due to suction. I have to try hard to move tongue off the shelf. Thank goodness the base of my tongue seems to be sealing well, so far, as I had no idea if it would or not prior to ordering. I also tried to see how well it sealed sleeping on my side, which leaks even worse than on my back, and it worked well there too as my tongue was kept in place. Ordinarily on my side my tongue would drop and the leaks were even greater. I normally leaked even while awake and did not do so wearing the device.

Pros are:
1. It has a snug fit and will not move.
2. It is comfortable to wear and has yet to squeeze, pinch or hurt my gums or underside of tongue in any way.
3. My tongue is kept where it needs to be to keep air from leaking out of mouth.
4. The Doctor has a money back guarantee.
5. Eliminates my having to use tape and ACE chin straps.
6. Not terribly expensive.
7. Buying and fitting very convenient and easy.

Cons:
1. If the phone rings and wakes you, it takes more time before you can talk due to the tight fit and time required to remove device.

I will be glad to report again when I have added more miles to this device but so far it looks like it's a winner

Kermit

dsm

Which mouthpiece ?

Post by dsm » Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:36 pm

Hi Kermit,

I see Dr Sue has several mouth pieces, which one is yout report about ?

###UPDATE - I worked it out - the standard Nose Breathe Mouthpiece.
###Does anyone have any thoughts on the NBM for Heavy Snorers ? (it is much dearer but seems like it may be better suited to some of us severe mouth breathers.

UPDATE#2 - I have ordered one. I like what Dr Sue has to say.

Cheers

DSM
xPAP and Quattro std mask (plus a pad-a-cheek anti-leak strap)

m_l

Post by m_l » Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:39 am

I placed an order as well.

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:59 am

me too!

john5757

Post by john5757 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:32 pm

Hay wait for me !!!!!

Would it seems that the standard mouth piece would work as well or the more expensive NBM for Heavy Snorer? While chin straps can work I am getting tired of the straps losing their place.

dsm

Alternate masks

Post by dsm » Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:41 pm

I am also investigating (but not ready to act on) a source here in Australia for a personally moulded mask (see link)

http://www.sleepapneamasks.com.au/testimonials.asp

If anyone has any comments or even anecdotal evidence re the reliability of this type of device I am all eyes & ears.

I haven't heard back from the site yet am guessing they are more expensive than the off-the-shelf variety possibly in the order of $500 AUD which is $US375).

It sounds promising but I will do investigation via my sleep clinic contacts here in Australia.

Cheers

DSM

john5757

Re: Alternate masks

Post by john5757 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:49 pm

dsm wrote:I am also investigating (but not ready to act on) a source here in Australia for a personally moulded mask (see link)

http://www.sleepapneamasks.com.au/testimonials.asp

If anyone has any comments or even anecdotal evidence re the reliability of this type of device I am all eyes & ears.

I haven't heard back from the site yet am guessing they are more expensive than the off-the-shelf variety possibly in the order of $500 AUD which is $US375).

It sounds promising but I will do investigation via my sleep clinic contacts here in Australia.

Cheers

DSM
I looked at the web page and my impression is that mask looks like a mask from the "Phantom of the Opera". One of the reason I got the Swift is that on a hot summer night my nasal mask tend to leak when I sweat a little and leaks caused by sweat are most annoying.

dsm

Re: Alternate masks

Post by dsm » Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:29 pm

john5757 wrote: I looked at the web page and my impression is that mask looks like a mask from the "Phantom of the Opera". One of the reason I got the Swift is that on a hot summer night my nasal mask tend to leak when I sweat a little and leaks caused by sweat are most annoying.
John,

Yes it is that possible aspect that concerns me hence my caution, but it may be no problem in an airconditioned environment.

Cheers

DSM

dsm

Aussie moulded face mask info

Post by dsm » Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:56 pm

Hi,

I had an email last night from the people who have been supplying the 'Moulded Face Mask'. It seems they are almost finished developing a new model. They have let me know that they will notify me when development is complete.

When that happens I will post here.

Cheers

DSM

feeling better

snoremate.com

Post by feeling better » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:50 pm

I have found a device that is a modified mouth guard. Cost is $40 per two of them. It is very much like the DIY model that was discussed a month or so ago, except that it eliminates the cutting and trimming that that required. Seems to work pretty well for me but I haven't been able to check for leaks with my Encore software as my card reader seems to be frying my smart cards (4 so far).
Product is at http://www.snoremate.com
It is advertised as a snore stopper, but it seems to eliminate mouth breathing as well.
John Miller

m_l

Post by m_l » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:38 pm

DSM,

Have you received an email from http://www.nosebreathe.com/ to confirm your order? I ask because I didn't receive one. I emailed them, but yet to get a response from them. And do keep us posted on the mask.

Thanks
Mike

john5757

Mouth guards

Post by john5757 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:40 pm

I realize that mouth guards that move the lower jaw forward are not what I needed for mouth leaks. I wanted to prevent mouth leaks and moving the lower jaw could make the air leaking out of the mouth more while on CPAP. This may be more of a benefit for people not using a CPAP machine. The first mouth guard mention in this topic that helps to keep the tongue on the roof. One issue that I could find is what can happen if the nose is all plugged up while sleeping is there any risk involved?

dsm

Post by dsm » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:59 pm

m_l wrote:DSM,

Have you received an email from http://www.nosebreathe.com/ to confirm your order? I ask because I didn't receive one. I emailed them, but yet to get a response from them. And do keep us posted on the mask.

Thanks
Mike

No, nothing thus far. I did send an email separately but haven't had a reply to that either. I'm not too worried. He may be out on the reef catching fish for a few days

I haven't been debited yet, but when that happens I will get interested in responses

Cheers

DSM

m_l

Post by m_l » Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:06 pm

dsm wrote:
No, nothing thus far. I did send an email separately but haven't had a reply to that either. I'm not too worried. He may be out on the reef catching fish for a few days

I haven't been debited yet, but when that happens I will get interested in responses

Cheers

DSM

lol
Let me know when you get some answers and I will do the same.

Thanks
Mike

dsm

Re: Mouth guards

Post by dsm » Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:33 am

john5757 wrote:I realize that mouth guards that move the lower jaw forward are not what I needed for mouth leaks. I wanted to prevent mouth leaks and moving the lower jaw could make the air leaking out of the mouth more while on CPAP. This may be more of a benefit for people not using a CPAP machine. The first mouth guard mention in this topic that helps to keep the tongue on the roof. One issue that I could find is what can happen if the nose is all plugged up while sleeping is there any risk involved?

I actually have a mouthguard made by my dentist as I have a few crowns in the top teeth. This is to stop me grinding the lower more mortal teeth into dust. The only way it appears to differ from Dr Sue's (a boy called Sue, Hmmm ) is the Dr Sue has a shelf added that I can park my tongue on. I do think that has benefits.

Cheers

DSM

(Dr Sue has to be from Guangdong province - tis a common name there My prior dentist was from that area, lovely gentle man, brilliant dentist. But my prior orthodontic surgeon although from norther Asia, clearly did his apprenticeship under Josef Mengele (either that or he was a member of the Japanese Kempe Tai and highly skilled member at that ))