I, too, would encourage you to try to get the VA to do a study. If it looks like you won't be able to get that done in a reasonable time, then I second (third? fourth?) those saying STL Mark's machine is a great buy and a good second-best option.
As for your question, "Can I afford not to??" As someone whose otherwise fit-as-a-fiddle father with severe OSA just died in his sleep of a probable stroke at the age of 61, I offer you the resounding answer "NO!!" Your exhaustion, your wife's fears…they're all telling you something serious. Listen.
Need CPAP, know nothing, can't afford test...
- The Latinist
- Posts: 465
- Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:00 pm
Re: Need CPAP, know nothing, can't afford test...
_________________
| Mask: AirFit™ P10 Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Headgear |
| Humidifier: S9™ Series H5i™ Heated Humidifier with Climate Control |
| Additional Comments: APAP 12-16 cmH2O, EPR 1. Untreated AHI: 96; treated AHI 2.3. |
Re: Need CPAP, know nothing, can't afford test...
You have some options. I think maybe cpap.com or one of the other on-line suppliers would set you up with an at home sleep test with a loaner machine, or look on craigslist for a machine and check it out with this board to see if it will be useful for you. If you can get your doctor to write you a prescription, you can get a used machine from secondwindcpap.com, and be sure it has been checked out. CPAP machines have long useful life, so don't be worried about a high number of hours, as it can get you a very low price.
_________________
| Mask: Mirage Activa™ LT Nasal CPAP Mask with Headgear |
| Additional Comments: pressure 10-12 |
Re: Need CPAP, know nothing, can't afford test...
I was very much in the same situation. I took a sleep study over 5 years ago and was diagnosed with apnea. They wanted to schedule a 2nd study to fit me to a CPAP machine but I still owed money for the first study so I put it off. I paid that bill and then about 2 years later was told I couldn't just take the CPAP fitting study, they wanted start me over with the first one again. Ridiculous. So with new insurance this year a coworker told my wife I could get a CPAP machine for free. I investigated. Not free, in fact the cost was around $1200. Not sure what brand, etc. So I asked my Dr. at my physical a few months ago if I found a less expensive option on line and they needed an Rx would he do it and he said yes so here I am having purchased an awesome machine a mask for under $600. And I got that on Pay Pal's 'Bill Me Later' which equates to 6 monthly payments of about $100.
I guess, from the less than a week I've spent here so far, I guess I should've paid more attention to data output, etc. That didn't even occur to me. I thought I needed a machine and a mask and off I go. From my highly limited experience I would suggest you get an auto CPAP so you don't have to worry about finding the right pressure. Does it on it's own. I'm about a 5.1 on my machine.
I guess, from the less than a week I've spent here so far, I guess I should've paid more attention to data output, etc. That didn't even occur to me. I thought I needed a machine and a mask and off I go. From my highly limited experience I would suggest you get an auto CPAP so you don't have to worry about finding the right pressure. Does it on it's own. I'm about a 5.1 on my machine.
In a world full of locks, love is the key. God is love.
- Cowboy Casey
- Posts: 154
- Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:08 am
Re: Need CPAP, know nothing, can't afford test...
The VA is a bureaucracy, and once you know that, you can start...
Step 1: Get an appointment with you local VA doctor, they are usually fast at that part.. I can usually get that appointment within a week... Now on that note, they cant do alot but they can write prescriptions and consults..
Step 2: you need a consult for the SLEEP doctor, not the sleep center (people that hand out hoses and filters)
step 3: This is the part that gets the VA's attention when you set up these appoinments... I stop breathing at night and CAN DIE from this, you have to get their attention, continue to make this point.... untill you find someone that listens to you... keep calling, they dont care about you, they want you to stop calling so they dont have to deal with you.... Call 4 times a day untill you get an appointment, take any appointment they have...
Untill I started doing this, they blew me off for 3 years.... I now have an appoinment with the sleep doctor on 24 June 14, I just kept calling and beating them up... Untill you take control of the VA, they will continue to treat you like they are...
Cowboy
Retired
Step 1: Get an appointment with you local VA doctor, they are usually fast at that part.. I can usually get that appointment within a week... Now on that note, they cant do alot but they can write prescriptions and consults..
Step 2: you need a consult for the SLEEP doctor, not the sleep center (people that hand out hoses and filters)
step 3: This is the part that gets the VA's attention when you set up these appoinments... I stop breathing at night and CAN DIE from this, you have to get their attention, continue to make this point.... untill you find someone that listens to you... keep calling, they dont care about you, they want you to stop calling so they dont have to deal with you.... Call 4 times a day untill you get an appointment, take any appointment they have...
Untill I started doing this, they blew me off for 3 years.... I now have an appoinment with the sleep doctor on 24 June 14, I just kept calling and beating them up... Untill you take control of the VA, they will continue to treat you like they are...
Cowboy
Retired
_________________
| Machine: AirCurve™ 10 VAuto BiLevel Machine with HumidAir™ Heated Humidifier |
| Mask: Pilairo Q Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Headgear |
PR System One REMstar 60 Series BiPAP Auto SV Advanced
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/pr-60-series-bipap-autosv-advanced.html
Pilairo Q Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Headgear
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/fp-pilairo-q-nasal-pillow-cpap-mask.html
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/pr-60-series-bipap-autosv-advanced.html
Pilairo Q Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Headgear
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/fp-pilairo-q-nasal-pillow-cpap-mask.html
Re: Need CPAP, know nothing, can't afford test...
niiice!Cowboy Casey wrote: Untill I started doing this, they blew me off for 3 years.... I now have an appoinment with the sleep doctor on 24 June 14, I just kept calling and beating them up... Untill you take control of the VA, they will continue to treat you like they are...
Get OSCAR
Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.
Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.


