Greetings fellow sufferers

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
User avatar
Pugsy
Posts: 65411
Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 9:31 am
Location: Missouri, USA

Re: Greetings fellow sufferers

Post by Pugsy » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:17 pm

How much did the DME charge you since you didn't have insurance coverage?

_________________
Machine: AirCurve™ 10 VAuto BiLevel Machine with HumidAir™ Heated Humidifier
Additional Comments: Mask Bleep Eclipse https://bleepsleep.com/the-eclipse/
I may have to RISE but I refuse to SHINE.

User avatar
Dojers
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:51 pm

Re: Greetings fellow sufferers

Post by Dojers » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:24 pm

THAT'S a good question Pugsly!! I didn't think of that. If they did to him what they're doing with me and my insurance, he'd be a ton better off taking his machine back, getting his money and prescription back and going to cpap.com!
I love sleep because it is both pleasant and safe to use. - Fran Lebowitz HA!! Yeah right - not when you're a hosehead!

User avatar
archangle
Posts: 9293
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:55 am

Re: Greetings fellow sufferers

Post by archangle » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:24 pm

Dojers wrote:All of the above suggestions are all well and good but I think everyone has missed the point here - he had to pay for everything out of pocket himself - his insurance didn't cover it (for whatever reason - it's lousy - his words) so he probably got the best he can afford.
I'm still interested whether he was offered a choice at all or just told "take this." Especially if he was offered a Pro machine and told why he might want one.

The list price difference between a PRS1 brick and good machine is $60. Although cpap.com price difference is $160. (Hmmm.. extra profit margin making DMEs dispense bricks?)

However, Exterminator should definitely use what he's got. It can give him good treatment.

_________________
Mask: Swift™ FX Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Headgear
Humidifier: S9™ Series H5i™ Heated Humidifier with Climate Control
Additional Comments: Also SleepyHead, PRS1 Auto, Respironics Auto M series, Legacy Auto, and Legacy Plus
Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

User avatar
Dojers
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:51 pm

Re: Greetings fellow sufferers

Post by Dojers » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:30 pm

archangle wrote:
Dojers wrote:All of the above suggestions are all well and good but I think everyone has missed the point here - he had to pay for everything out of pocket himself - his insurance didn't cover it (for whatever reason - it's lousy - his words) so he probably got the best he can afford.
I'm still interested whether he was offered a choice at all or just told "take this." Especially if he was offered a Pro machine and told why he might want one.

The list price difference between a PRS1 brick and good machine is $60. Although cpap.com price difference is $160. (Hmmm.. extra profit margin making DMEs dispense bricks?)

However, Exterminator should definitely use what he's got. It can give him good treatment.
The only reason I mentioned it is because the machine I got shows on cpap.com as being $899 (I think - maybe $799) with humidifier and my DME is getting $2135 for it. If they are charging him similarly - I can see why he got the cheapest. I know DMEs vary and I don't know what some do when it comes to paying for it yourself. I know when I asked mine how much it would cost ME to buy mine (before I realized my husband had a special insurance that covers DME stuff) when my BC/BS doesn't pay for that, they told me over $2000 which, naturally, I couldn't afford and never thought to look online seeing as it was a prescription only device.

Oh, and even online companies need to make some money
I love sleep because it is both pleasant and safe to use. - Fran Lebowitz HA!! Yeah right - not when you're a hosehead!

User avatar
archangle
Posts: 9293
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:55 am

Re: Greetings fellow sufferers

Post by archangle » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:46 pm

Dojers wrote: The only reason I mentioned it is because the machine I got shows on cpap.com as being $899
Actually, it's $669 list on cpap.com, less if you follow the link and get a sales price. https://www.cpap.com/productpage/3076

Yes, the medical pricing scam is bad in the US. It's often something like $2000 without insurance, but the insurance companies have a contract to only pay $1000 or something like that. Not only do you get screwed, you get double screwed by not getting the insurance rate.

_________________
Mask: Swift™ FX Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Headgear
Humidifier: S9™ Series H5i™ Heated Humidifier with Climate Control
Additional Comments: Also SleepyHead, PRS1 Auto, Respironics Auto M series, Legacy Auto, and Legacy Plus
Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

User avatar
Dojers
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:51 pm

Re: Greetings fellow sufferers

Post by Dojers » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:31 pm

archangle wrote:
Dojers wrote: The only reason I mentioned it is because the machine I got shows on cpap.com as being $899
Actually, it's $669 list on cpap.com, less if you follow the link and get a sales price. https://www.cpap.com/productpage/3076

Yes, the medical pricing scam is bad in the US. It's often something like $2000 without insurance, but the insurance companies have a contract to only pay $1000 or something like that. Not only do you get screwed, you get double screwed by not getting the insurance rate.
Not if you add the humidifier - that adds $230 to the price and at 14cm I gotta have the humidifier. But regardless - it's still a much better deal than what the DME was going to charge me!!
I love sleep because it is both pleasant and safe to use. - Fran Lebowitz HA!! Yeah right - not when you're a hosehead!

User avatar
BlackSpinner
Posts: 9742
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:44 pm
Location: Edmonton Alberta
Contact:

Re: Greetings fellow sufferers

Post by BlackSpinner » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:42 pm

It doesn't mater that he paid for it himself, consumers do have some protection. Also most companies also don't like when you stand in their front office and bitch about them not knowing what they are selling and the quality of their stock and about feeling ripped off, especially if there are clients waiting. Since he probably paid by credit card he can return and do a charge back and get the credit company involved.

_________________
Machine: PR System One REMStar 60 Series Auto CPAP Machine
Additional Comments: Quatro mask for colds & flus S8 elite for back up
71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

User avatar
Dojers
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:51 pm

Re: Greetings fellow sufferers

Post by Dojers » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:47 pm

BlackSpinner wrote:It doesn't mater that he paid for it himself, consumers do have some protection. Also most companies also don't like when you stand in their front office and bitch about them not knowing what they are selling and the quality of their stock and about feeling ripped off, especially if there are clients waiting. Since he probably paid by credit card he can return and do a charge back and get the credit company involved.
Agreed - all I was focusing on is sometimes the more expensive machines can be just out of range of affordability even as you say "but it's worth it for that X amount more" - sometimes you just can't afford that X amount. That's all.
I love sleep because it is both pleasant and safe to use. - Fran Lebowitz HA!! Yeah right - not when you're a hosehead!

User avatar
Exterminator
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:40 pm
Location: Arkansas

Re: Greetings fellow sufferers

Post by Exterminator » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:20 pm

I wasn't offered any other machine or told anything about the differences between. I paid 1200.00 for the machine, humidifier, hose and mask.

User avatar
Pugsy
Posts: 65411
Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 9:31 am
Location: Missouri, USA

Re: Greetings fellow sufferers

Post by Pugsy » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:48 pm

Exterminator wrote:I wasn't offered any other machine or told anything about the differences between. I paid 1200.00 for the machine, humidifier, hose and mask.
Well let's hope they will be willing to exchange it for the next step up model which is this one and will offer full data.
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/3076
cpap.com can sell it for $455 and they make a profit on that.

If they won't and you cannot return it then you still do have a good machine as far as delivering effective therapy. Just just have no way of monitoring the therapy with data. It can be used and perhaps later it could be delegated to backup status should money permit and you want the data.

The cpapauction could be a source.
http://www.cpapauction.com/auction-list ... -plus.html

Even the Auto is only slightly more and it can be used as straight cpap or the auto apap. 2 machines in one.
http://www.cpapauction.com/auction-list ... -auto.html

Slightly used but those hours wouldn't scare me at all. RX is required at the cpapauction.

_________________
Machine: AirCurve™ 10 VAuto BiLevel Machine with HumidAir™ Heated Humidifier
Additional Comments: Mask Bleep Eclipse https://bleepsleep.com/the-eclipse/
I may have to RISE but I refuse to SHINE.

User avatar
Dojers
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:51 pm

Re: Greetings fellow sufferers

Post by Dojers » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:59 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Exterminator wrote:I wasn't offered any other machine or told anything about the differences between. I paid 1200.00 for the machine, humidifier, hose and mask.
Well let's hope they will be willing to exchange it for the next step up model which is this one and will offer full data.
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/3076
cpap.com can sell it for $455 and they make a profit on that.

If they won't and you cannot return it then you still do have a good machine as far as delivering effective therapy. Just just have no way of monitoring the therapy with data. It can be used and perhaps later it could be delegated to backup status should money permit and you want the data.
Pugsy - he should still have the option of his credit card company if he paid for it that way shouldn't he? I mean, they may not be willing to exchange it but they can't make him keep it if it's not what he wants/needs, right? Unless they told him it was a no-refund, no-return basis (which would make them, if not criminal, someone you never want to deal with ever again and I would report to the BBB!) he should have 7 days minimum, 30 days standard (per regular practice for other types of equipment not necessarily that of the DME status), right? And if he went bought it with his credit card, he can go through them, right?

I'm not sure because I'm too new to this part of it, but them not exchanging it or allowing him to return it for a refund (keep the hose and mask tho if you're happy with the mask) just doesn't sound right to me if they're a DME.

But I could be wrong. I'm learning about this stuff too as he goes through with this.
I love sleep because it is both pleasant and safe to use. - Fran Lebowitz HA!! Yeah right - not when you're a hosehead!

User avatar
DoriC
Posts: 5214
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:28 pm
Location: NJ

Re: Greetings fellow sufferers

Post by DoriC » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:12 pm

I hope you will check out our host's site and compare prices and if you can just return the whole setup to the DME even if you have a fight on your hands. There should be some sort of return policy, if not I hope you paid by credit card.As far as I'm concerned having a data capable machine is essential, sure it can be done in the blind but it's no easy feat unless you're one of those "ducks to water" types who's pressure setup is accurate, mask is the Perfect One with no leaks,etc. Knowledge is power! Keep us posted and good luck.

_________________
Mask: Mirage Quattro™ Full Face CPAP Mask with Headgear
Additional Comments: 14/8.4,PS=4, UMFF, 02@2L,
"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

User avatar
Pugsy
Posts: 65411
Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 9:31 am
Location: Missouri, USA

Re: Greetings fellow sufferers

Post by Pugsy » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:32 pm

Dojers wrote: Pugsy - he should still have the option of his credit card company if he paid for it that way shouldn't he?
I have no idea what recourse there might be.

What did the script say? Probably cpap at so and so pressure with heated humidifier and mask of choice. So that is what was bought. Unless totally misrepresented.... It is medical equipment and if credit card was used, is there an option to challenge purchase based only on someone changing their mind? I just don't know.

DME might exchange it for the Pro because cost difference is not huge and they may hope for future mask sales.

_________________
Machine: AirCurve™ 10 VAuto BiLevel Machine with HumidAir™ Heated Humidifier
Additional Comments: Mask Bleep Eclipse https://bleepsleep.com/the-eclipse/
I may have to RISE but I refuse to SHINE.

User avatar
Dojers
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:51 pm

Re: Greetings fellow sufferers

Post by Dojers » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:18 pm

Pugsy wrote: DME might exchange it for the Pro because cost difference is not huge and they may hope for future mask sales.
Sure hope so - cuz with a disorder that is usually lifetime means $1000s throughout with replacement humidifiers, masks, hoses, etc. It'd be their loss.
I love sleep because it is both pleasant and safe to use. - Fran Lebowitz HA!! Yeah right - not when you're a hosehead!

User avatar
DoriC
Posts: 5214
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:28 pm
Location: NJ

Re: Greetings fellow sufferers

Post by DoriC » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:59 pm

Since you did ask a question about having data and later finding out your machine did not have that feature, your argument might be that you "assumed" you were getting a data-capable machine. If they don't accomodate you with an exchange then you might be able to register a purchase dispute with your credit card company.

_________________
Mask: Mirage Quattro™ Full Face CPAP Mask with Headgear
Additional Comments: 14/8.4,PS=4, UMFF, 02@2L,
"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08