last night's sleep report--why so many events?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
User avatar
DreamDiver
Posts: 3082
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:19 am

Re: last night's sleep report--why so many events?

Post by DreamDiver » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:24 am

Events can be triggered by change in diet too. For instance, I rarely drink because even drink will up my AHI by a couple points. I've been averaging .6, myself, but when I drink a margarita with dinner, it might go up to 2.5 that night. Two drinks makes it worse. Foods with very high chocolate content can raise my AHI too. I imagine medication changes could also trigger changes.

Have you changed your diet or medication recently?

_________________
Mask: ResMed AirFit™ F20 Mask with Headgear + 2 Replacement Cushions
Additional Comments: Pressure: APAP 10.4 | 11.8 | Also Quattro FX FF, Simplus FF

User avatar
brain_cloud
Posts: 430
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:07 pm

Re: last night's sleep report--why so many events?

Post by brain_cloud » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:47 am

svh wrote:I've set my machine to run from a minimum pressure of 6 to a maximum of 12. Last night, I got these results:

AHI 1.1
Pressure: Median 6.4, 95% 9.0, Maximum 10.6

So, do you think 6-12 is the right range? I've never had an autoset before.....

Thanks!

--Sarah
I'll put in a slightly dissenting opinion from Dave21's. If your pressure never goes above 10-11, there is no reason to up it to 20. And there might even be some risk in doing so. I will leave it to -SWS or someone more expert to weigh in on that.

But bringing the minimum closer to your 95% could help. Maybe 8-12 would prevent more events. You might even be better off using the machine as straight CPAP at 11. Some people sleep better with constant pressure.

But in any event, you seem to be getting very good therapy and results. So congratulations.

User avatar
DoriC
Posts: 5214
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:28 pm
Location: NJ

Re: last night's sleep report--why so many events?

Post by DoriC » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:23 am

DreamDiver wrote:Foods with very high chocolate content can raise my AHI too.
Have you changed your diet or medication recently?
DD, Is that a known side effect or just your personal observation? Mike sometimes has a small dish of choc ice cream or cookies at night and I never thought of that as the reason for occasional elevated AHIs.

_________________
Mask: Mirage Quattro™ Full Face CPAP Mask with Headgear
Additional Comments: 14/8.4,PS=4, UMFF, 02@2L,
"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

User avatar
DreamDiver
Posts: 3082
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:19 am

Re: last night's sleep report--why so many events?

Post by DreamDiver » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:08 pm

DoriC wrote:DD, Is that a known side effect or just your personal observation? Mike sometimes has a small dish of choc ice cream or cookies at night and I never thought of that as the reason for occasional elevated AHIs.
The amount of chocolate in three store-bought chocolate chip cookies or a four-ounce dish of ice cream before bed won't affect me. From personal experience though, a six-ounce bar of chocolate with 70% cocoa or higher will affect my AHI. Three tablespoons of raw cocoa nibs on top of ice cream before bed does it too. It also gives me a raging headache for the next two days. I wouldn't suggest it.

While many people know that even a small amount of chocolate can kill dogs and cats by suppressing activity in the primitive part of the brain responsible for breathing, it's not as well known that too much chocolate can also suppress breathing to some extent in humans as well. Humans are a lot bigger than dogs and cats, so it would take a lot more to actually deliver a lethal dose. We would probably hurl before we could eat enough chocolate-containing desserts.

(I make a double-dutched chocolate cake with ganache icing that will literally take your breath away. )

_________________
Mask: ResMed AirFit™ F20 Mask with Headgear + 2 Replacement Cushions
Additional Comments: Pressure: APAP 10.4 | 11.8 | Also Quattro FX FF, Simplus FF

User avatar
Emilia
Posts: 1873
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:56 am
Location: Florida, USA

Re: last night's sleep report--why so many events?

Post by Emilia » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:30 pm

DreamDiver wrote:[Humans are a lot bigger than dogs and cats, so it would take a lot more to actually deliver a lethal dose. We would probably hurl before we could eat enough chocolate-containing desserts.

(I make a double-dutched chocolate cake with ganache icing that will literally take your breath away. )
Oh, but what a way to go!
Yes, that blue eyed beauty is my cat! He is a seal point, bi-color Ragdoll. I adopted him in '08 from folks who could no longer care for him. He is a joy and makes me smile each and every day.

User avatar
cjordan525
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:22 pm
Location: South Carolina

Re: last night's sleep report--why so many events?

Post by cjordan525 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:44 pm

I was wondering something about the op's report. Sorry to be off topic but she has a flow graph that I would love to have on my reports. I found it in the list and moved it up but it's like it has no data?

User avatar
DreamDiver
Posts: 3082
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:19 am

Re: last night's sleep report--why so many events?

Post by DreamDiver » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:25 pm

Emilia wrote:Oh, but what a way to go!
cjordan525 wrote:I was wondering something about the op's report. Sorry to be off topic but she has a flow graph that I would love to have on my reports. I found it in the list and moved it up but it's like it has no data?
Ordinarily, if the data doesn't exist, the flow data graph will not even appear. It's curious that you can see a blank flow graph. Are you making sure to save all data and discard attempts to overwrite existing data when you read the SD card with ResScan?

_________________
Mask: ResMed AirFit™ F20 Mask with Headgear + 2 Replacement Cushions
Additional Comments: Pressure: APAP 10.4 | 11.8 | Also Quattro FX FF, Simplus FF