I have an Activa LT mask. It is doing the job and I tend to show 3.6 as a leak rate which is fine from what I understand.
I have now been on CPAP for 6 days. With the Activa, I am experiencing 2 minor problems:
1) I get some irritation at the outside edges of my nose. By this I mean the corner between the "flare" of my nostril and my face. For whatever reason, the edge of the mask material seems to be contacting there and it is a little sharp.
2) With EPR engaged (which works very well for me) the Activa mask exhibits a bellows action. In other words, it pumps up when I inhale and deflates some on exhalation. I am wondering if this is something I need to get used to or if I am wearing the mask too loosely.
Yesterday, I received the interchangeable DoubleGel cushion and swapped out the ActiveCell cushion. I was disappointed to find that the (large-wide) DoubleGel contacts my nose at exactly the same place as the (Large) ActiveCell. I wore it last night and the weight shifted it so it contacted my nose more heavily than the active cell did. I think it was worse, but it may just be that I'm pretty sensitive where the irritation occurs.
Here is a link to the mask (with both cushions)
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... -pack.html
So, I'm looking for ideas on adjusting or adapting to (or replacing) what I have.
Thanks!
Working with Activa LT nasal mask
- Rogue Uvula
- Posts: 158
- Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:01 am
- Location: Georgia
Working with Activa LT nasal mask
Sleep well and prosper!
Re: Working with Activa LT nasal mask
It sounds like you may need to go up to the large-wide for the ActiveCell.... the mask should not contact with the flares of your nostril, but sit just beyond them. The bellowing is normal for the ActiveCell cushion... but is less noticeable if you get a better fit with no leaking at all. Personally, I don't like the gel cushion as it is heavier and I have to wear it tighter to keep it from leaking.
_________________
| Mask: Mirage Activa™ LT Nasal CPAP Mask with Headgear |
| Humidifier: S9™ Series H5i™ Heated Humidifier with Climate Control |
| Additional Comments: ResScan 3.12, APAP 9 - 13, no EPR, ClimateControl 75F |
(yet another Jeff)
- Rogue Uvula
- Posts: 158
- Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:01 am
- Location: Georgia
Re: Working with Activa LT nasal mask
The DoubleGel gave me 0.0 as a leak rate. I'm going to try it again tonight with the head gear adjusted a bit tighter and see how that plays out. It doesn't contact my nostrils unless it is loose enough to shift around.
Thanks, the large-wide ActiveCell does make sense, and I'll go ahead and get one on order.
Thanks, the large-wide ActiveCell does make sense, and I'll go ahead and get one on order.
Sleep well and prosper!
Re: Working with Activa LT nasal mask
I found you need to go up a size with the soft gel. In that I use a M
The plain one without the blue solf gel I use a Small.
The plain one without the blue solf gel I use a Small.
_________________
| Mask: Wisp Nasal CPAP Mask with Headgear - Fit Pack |
| Humidifier: S9™ Series H5i™ Heated Humidifier with Climate Control |
| Additional Comments: SleepyHead software, mouth guard, Respironics chinstrap, 3M Medical tape |
Good Better Best, Never Let It Rest
Until The Good Is Better And The Better Is Best
Until The Good Is Better And The Better Is Best
Re: Working with Activa LT nasal mask
Agree. You need a larger mask. The Activa does have a ballooning effect with: a) lower pressures, and b) if you consciouslessly breath. But that ballooning effect helps make the mask fit well.
With many masks, there's a fine line between not hitting the nose, and not having the lower portion press so low on your upper lip that it applies posterior pressure to your upper teeth.
With many masks, there's a fine line between not hitting the nose, and not having the lower portion press so low on your upper lip that it applies posterior pressure to your upper teeth.
_________________
| Machine: AirSense™ 10 CPAP Machine with HumidAir™ Heated Humidifier |
| Mask: Mirage™ FX Nasal CPAP Mask with Headgear |
- Rogue Uvula
- Posts: 158
- Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:01 am
- Location: Georgia
Re: Working with Activa LT nasal mask
Last night, I snugged up the DoubleGel and that kept it off of the tender spots. I don't care for the weight or for the tighter adjustment, but I slept pretty well.
In any case, my immediate concern that I was going to end up with some blisters and real pain is resolved.
Hopefully, the large-wide for the ActiveCell will work out with the doublegel as a reserve.
In any case, my immediate concern that I was going to end up with some blisters and real pain is resolved.
Hopefully, the large-wide for the ActiveCell will work out with the doublegel as a reserve.
Sleep well and prosper!
Re: Working with Activa LT nasal mask
I have an Activa LT, but only use it occasionally when my nares get sore.
I find the Swift FX a lot more comfortable and use it as my primary mask.
The two compliment each other very well as they have different pressure points.
I find the Swift FX a lot more comfortable and use it as my primary mask.
The two compliment each other very well as they have different pressure points.
_________________
| Mask: Swift™ FX Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Headgear |
| Humidifier: S9™ Series H5i™ Heated Humidifier with Climate Control |
| Additional Comments: CMS-50F, Night Vision camera, Hose hanger, ResScan 3.16, Modified Swift FX with head band and air diffuser. |


