Swift FX nasal pillow & blisters?
- Desperate_in_DM
- Posts: 83
- Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:21 am
- Location: Iowa
Swift FX nasal pillow & blisters?
I've been using the Swift FX nasal pillow mask for a month now with NO improvement. In the last three days I've developed blisters first in my right nostril and now my left nostril. The blisters make wearing the mask uncomfortable.
My humidifier is set at "2". I had recently (5 days ago) complained that it felt like bugs crawling in my nose when I wore the mask. The RT said the pillows were vibrating with the air flow and I needed to tighten my mask. I'm not sure the best way to clean the nostril pillow. I was using only water once a week to clean the nostril pillows (I sometimes have sensitive skin).
Any idea what could be causing the blisters?
My humidifier is set at "2". I had recently (5 days ago) complained that it felt like bugs crawling in my nose when I wore the mask. The RT said the pillows were vibrating with the air flow and I needed to tighten my mask. I'm not sure the best way to clean the nostril pillow. I was using only water once a week to clean the nostril pillows (I sometimes have sensitive skin).
Any idea what could be causing the blisters?
Re: Swift FX nasal pillow & blisters?
I somewhat agree with your RT, but mostly disagree.Desperate_in_DM wrote:The RT said the pillows were vibrating with the air flow and I needed to tighten my mask.
Any idea what could be causing the blisters?
1. The pillows vibrating with the air flow = correct, it will cause blisters.
2. Tighten your mask = NO! probably wrong unless its extremely loose.
I would say it sounds like your using pillows one size too small, try the next size up.
Washing the pillows with a mild baby shampoo works very well.
_________________
| Mask: Wisp Nasal CPAP Mask with Headgear - Fit Pack |
| Humidifier: S9™ Series H5i™ Heated Humidifier with Climate Control |
| Additional Comments: Secondary Mask: Swift FX |
Re: Swift FX nasal pillow & blisters?
I found I have to wash nasal pillows daily to get a good seal.
_________________
| Mask: AirFit™ P10 Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Headgear |
| Additional Comments: Machine: Resmed AirSense10 for Her with Climateline heated hose ; alternating masks. |
And now here is my secret, a very simple secret; it is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023
Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023
Re: Swift FX nasal pillow & blisters?
I wash mine every day with unscented baby shampoo and rinse in warm water.
Good luck
Nan
Good luck
Nan
_________________
| Machine: ResMed AirSense™ 10 AutoSet™ CPAP Machine with HumidAir™ Heated Humidifier |
| Mask: AirFit™ P10 Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Headgear |
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.
Re: Swift FX nasal pillow & blisters?
Make sure you are putting the pillows AGAINST your nostrils, not IN them. (Please don't be insulted if you do know better--we've seen a lot of people here who did not realize this ).
Hold the pillows up to your nose and then turn the air on. This will fully inflate the pillows. With the pillows fully inflated, tighten the headgear just enough to hold the seal. It should not need to be any tighter, and as long as you do the adjustments with the pillows fully inflated you should not be having too much friction from them.
I wash my pillows every day in warm water and "7th Generation" dish soap. This soap has no coloring or fragrance. I put a little soap in the palm of my hand, add water, and wash the pillows just like I wash my hands. Be sure to rinse thoroughly, then shake the water out of the pillows and air dry.
You can use some lanolin cream (found in the baby aisle) to sooth your sore nose.
Hold the pillows up to your nose and then turn the air on. This will fully inflate the pillows. With the pillows fully inflated, tighten the headgear just enough to hold the seal. It should not need to be any tighter, and as long as you do the adjustments with the pillows fully inflated you should not be having too much friction from them.
I wash my pillows every day in warm water and "7th Generation" dish soap. This soap has no coloring or fragrance. I put a little soap in the palm of my hand, add water, and wash the pillows just like I wash my hands. Be sure to rinse thoroughly, then shake the water out of the pillows and air dry.
You can use some lanolin cream (found in the baby aisle) to sooth your sore nose.
_________________
| Machine: ResMed AirSense™ 10 AutoSet™ CPAP Machine with HumidAir™ Heated Humidifier |
| Mask: DreamWear Nasal CPAP Mask with Headgear |
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm
- Desperate_in_DM
- Posts: 83
- Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:21 am
- Location: Iowa
Re: Swift FX nasal pillow & blisters?
Uhhh.... Now I'm confused. When I got the machine the RT fitted it to my head and she placed part of the nose pad things up into my nostril. So should the pads be inserted into the nostril or not??? This is becoming very confusing for me and overwhelming for me. I'm not getting any useful assistance from the sleep clinic or the respiratory home healthcare clinic.
Re: Swift FX nasal pillow & blisters?
I wash my FX every day with the same thing I use in the shower. Dial Soap with warm water in the sink. It does a good job and smells nice.
Here is a video for the FX Fitting, Cleaning, and Usage :
http://www.resmed.com/us/products/swift ... s&sec=true
Here is a video for the FX Fitting, Cleaning, and Usage :
http://www.resmed.com/us/products/swift ... s&sec=true
Re: Swift FX nasal pillow & blisters?
Absolutely not, they rest against the bottom of your nostrils. Only a very tiny portion at the smaller end of the pillow will go into your nasal cavity.Desperate_in_DM wrote:Uhhh.... Now I'm confused... So should the pads be inserted into the nostril or not???
This is quite common as most seem to be in it for the money and not really patient care.Desperate_in_DM wrote: I'm not getting any useful assistance from the sleep clinic or the respiratory home healthcare clinic.
_________________
| Mask: Wisp Nasal CPAP Mask with Headgear - Fit Pack |
| Humidifier: S9™ Series H5i™ Heated Humidifier with Climate Control |
| Additional Comments: Secondary Mask: Swift FX |
Re: Swift FX nasal pillow & blisters?
Try may be a larger size pillow. I had started with small and found using a medium had a better fit and was more comfortable, Try using a nasal lubricant. Since I started using a little lubricant on my nare it prevents irritation. As another stated only tighten to prevent a leak. If you have it too tight it will cause more problems.
_________________
| Mask: Opus 360 Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Headgear |
| Humidifier: S9™ Series H5i™ Heated Humidifier with Climate Control |
| Additional Comments: ResScan version 3.11 |
- Desperate_in_DM
- Posts: 83
- Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:21 am
- Location: Iowa
Re: Swift FX nasal pillow & blisters?
My mask did not come with a manual, but I found one online. I am using the mask correctly. Yes, the pillows fit under your nose, but there is still a good half-inch on each pad that goes into/up your nostril!
I suspected the pillows too small and called. Today I was told that only my doctor could "order" a larger size and that I couldn't just "pick one up".
I suspected the pillows too small and called. Today I was told that only my doctor could "order" a larger size and that I couldn't just "pick one up".
Re: Swift FX nasal pillow & blisters?
That sounds like a crock of you know what ...
Nobody says you need to go to your doctor to get supplies, you only need to have a copy of your prescription and can go to any supplier of cpap supplies.
Someone near you may be able to offer advice on where to get the pillows.
Nobody says you need to go to your doctor to get supplies, you only need to have a copy of your prescription and can go to any supplier of cpap supplies.
Someone near you may be able to offer advice on where to get the pillows.
_________________
| Mask: Wisp Nasal CPAP Mask with Headgear - Fit Pack |
| Humidifier: S9™ Series H5i™ Heated Humidifier with Climate Control |
| Additional Comments: Secondary Mask: Swift FX |
Last edited by cobra4x4 on Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Re: Swift FX nasal pillow & blisters?
You have GOT to be kidding!!! The FX comes with THREE SIZES of nasal pillows if you buy it (SM, MED, LG), the sample packs have FOUR SIZES (includes EX SM). The idiots are supposed to give you ALL of the sizes to keep so you can experiment to see which fit the best--obviously they don't know what they are doing! ^%%$#@My mask did not come with a manual, but I found one online. I am using the mask correctly. Yes, the pillows fit under your nose, but there is still a good half-inch on each pad that goes into/up your nostril!
I suspected the pillows too small and called. Today I was told that only my doctor could "order" a larger size and that I couldn't just "pick one up".
You DO NOT need a new RX for a different size pillow, they are jerking you around. Did you pay for a brand new mask and then they took out the other sizes of pillow you PAID for???? They probably removed the other sizes to sell individually to other customers. SHEESH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You march right into that DME tomorrow and demand the three other sizes of nasal pillows and if they have to break up a set to give them to you that's too DARN bad!!!!!!!! Put up a hissy fit like they have never seen and don't leave without those other pillows. And don't pay for them, either, or let them charge your insurance company.
After that, unless you have NO coverage and NO money and absolutely no other choice, you should NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH THEM AGAIN!!!!!!!! You might want to file a complaint with the manager and maybe even Resmed.
_________________
| Machine: ResMed AirSense™ 10 AutoSet™ CPAP Machine with HumidAir™ Heated Humidifier |
| Mask: DreamWear Nasal CPAP Mask with Headgear |
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm
Re: Swift FX nasal pillow & blisters?
Didn't your mask come with a set of pillows? Cpap.com sells your mask with a set of different sizes included.
Yes, that blue eyed beauty is my cat! He is a seal point, bi-color Ragdoll. I adopted him in '08 from folks who could no longer care for him. He is a joy and makes me smile each and every day.
Re: Swift FX nasal pillow & blisters?
The mask you received came with small, medium and large (and possibly extra small) pillows in the package.
_________________
| Machine: DreamStation BiPAP® Auto Machine |
| Mask: DreamWear Nasal CPAP Mask with Headgear |
jeff
Re: Swift FX nasal pillow & blisters?
Unless as JanKnitz suggested that the DME stole the extra pillows to sell for more profit.jdm2857 wrote:The mask you received came with small, medium and large (and possibly extra small) pillows in the package.
_________________
| Mask: Wisp Nasal CPAP Mask with Headgear - Fit Pack |
| Humidifier: S9™ Series H5i™ Heated Humidifier with Climate Control |
| Additional Comments: Secondary Mask: Swift FX |






