CPAP Alteanatives
CPAP Alteanatives
Hi,
I was recently diagnosed with severe obstructive sleep apnea (OSA), and my doctor recommended that I start using a CPAP machine.
I have seen a lot of comments on social media about CPAP being difficult to get used to. Some people mention taking the mask off during the night without realizing it, feeling uncomfortable while sleeping, or eventually stopping CPAP altogether.
For those of you who have sleep apnea and use a CPAP, I would really appreciate hearing about your experience. Was it difficult at first? Did it get easier over time?
I would also like to hear from anyone who has tried alternatives to CPAP and what worked for you.
Thank you!
I was recently diagnosed with severe obstructive sleep apnea (OSA), and my doctor recommended that I start using a CPAP machine.
I have seen a lot of comments on social media about CPAP being difficult to get used to. Some people mention taking the mask off during the night without realizing it, feeling uncomfortable while sleeping, or eventually stopping CPAP altogether.
For those of you who have sleep apnea and use a CPAP, I would really appreciate hearing about your experience. Was it difficult at first? Did it get easier over time?
I would also like to hear from anyone who has tried alternatives to CPAP and what worked for you.
Thank you!
Re: CPAP Alteanatives
start here for success stories, while waiting for others to chime in-leo221 wrote: ↑Tue Sep 22, 2026 9:37 pm
For those of you who have sleep apnea and use a CPAP, I would really appreciate hearing about your experience. Was it difficult at first? Did it get easier over time?
I would also like to hear from anyone who has tried alternatives to CPAP and what worked for you.
Thank you!
viewtopic/t14494/Newbie-would-like-to-h ... lease.html
most people do have trouble getting used to it. some quit. others come here and get the help they need to adjust to their machines and flourish.
btw, as the name of the forum is CPAPTALK, there are hardly any who come in here with a cpap alternative.
good luck!
_________________
| Machine: AirCurve™ 10 VAuto BiLevel Machine with HumidAir™ Heated Humidifier |
| Mask: AirFit™ P10 Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Headgear |
"Age is not an accomplishment and youth is not a sin"-Robert A. Heinlein
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg
- ChicagoGranny
- Posts: 15534
- Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:43 pm
- Location: USA
Re: CPAP Alteanatives
You're reading the moaning and pissing of losers. Quit reading it.
Change your attitude. Believe you can do it, and you will.
If you have problems, be a problem solver. Come back here for help. No matter what happens, there are CPAP users here who experienced it, solved it, and can help you solve it.
Welcome to the forum!
"It's not the number of breaths we take, it's the number of moments that take our breath away."
Cuando cuentes cuentos, cuenta cuántas cuentos cuentas.
Cuando cuentes cuentos, cuenta cuántas cuentos cuentas.
-
mlmollenkamp
- Posts: 113
- Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:46 pm
Re: CPAP Alteanatives
I've used CPAP for almost 20 years. I've not missed more than a few nights since I started. If you have severe sleep apnea CPAP is a literal life saver. There are alternatives, but if you follow the studies they brag about 40% to 70% reductions in events. That is fine for folks who have moderate apnea, a 7 or 10 AHI in a sleep study. But severe sleep apnea needs much better performance than that. My AHI in my sleep study was around 80 events per hour. It still is without a machine. My machine gets it down to about 1. An alternative treatment that is 80% effective would still leave me with severe sleep apnea. I get the appeal of alternative treatments, no one goes into this wanting to use a machine, but its still the gold standard treatment that prevents strokes, AFIB and a bunch of other terrible outcomes.
I like my brain and plan on using it for as long as possible.
I like my brain and plan on using it for as long as possible.
_________________
| Machine: Aircurve 11 asv |
| Mask: AirFit™ P30i Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Headgear Starter Pack |
| Additional Comments: P30i is modified with Dreamwear headgear. |
Re: CPAP Alteanatives
20+ years into this journey. All the adjusting early on was worth it for how getting better sleep helped my health and cognition. Every issue I ran into, the good folks here walked me through my options. Keep in mind when you read people catastrophizing, they may have an alternative are they selling.
_________________
| Mask: TAP PAP Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Improved Stability Mouthpiece |
| Humidifier: S9™ Series H5i™ Heated Humidifier with Climate Control |
| Additional Comments: Bleep/DreamPort for full nights, Tap Pap for shorter sessions |
My SleepDancing Video link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE7WA_5c73c
Re: CPAP Alteanatives
Everyone is different. My son in law got a big improvement in his sleep the very first night. It was difficult for me, but it eventually worked.
_________________
| Machine: ResMed AirSense™ 10 AutoSet™ CPAP Machine with HumidAir™ Heated Humidifier |
| Mask: Brevida™ Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Headgear |
Re: CPAP Alteanatives
I was diagnosed in August. I will 73 October 3rd. I'm bound and determined to make this work!!! I have gained a ton of information and direction from forum folk.
Some people get used to this, find a mask they like, within a week.
Most people take much longer! Some take months and some as long as 18 months, worst case scenario.
The other two alternatives that I've heard about is the dental piece called a mandibular device that goes into your mouth which I haven't heard much postive news about.
The other is a surgical implant called Inspire.
Depending on what survey you look at, I try to always find a 'third party' survey without any bias, and the best I could find with Inspire is that it has produced 78% postive results and CPAP is in the 90+ percentile.
My 'personal' opinion is, I'm 73, and do not want anyone cutting on me unless it's medically 'necessary', until it's 'autopsy' time, if the family left behind chooses to do so, because my soul and spirit will be in The Kingdom!!!
Some people get used to this, find a mask they like, within a week.
Most people take much longer! Some take months and some as long as 18 months, worst case scenario.
The other two alternatives that I've heard about is the dental piece called a mandibular device that goes into your mouth which I haven't heard much postive news about.
The other is a surgical implant called Inspire.
Depending on what survey you look at, I try to always find a 'third party' survey without any bias, and the best I could find with Inspire is that it has produced 78% postive results and CPAP is in the 90+ percentile.
My 'personal' opinion is, I'm 73, and do not want anyone cutting on me unless it's medically 'necessary', until it's 'autopsy' time, if the family left behind chooses to do so, because my soul and spirit will be in The Kingdom!!!
_________________
| Machine: AirSense 11 Autoset |
| Mask: ResMed AirTouch™ N30i Frame System - L/STD |
| Humidifier: S9™ Series H5i™ Heated Humidifier with Climate Control |
Re: CPAP Alteanatives
I consider myself fortunate to be alive at a time when PAP therapy is available and effective for so many. And I am glad my original sleep doctor was straightforward with me about the seriousness of severe OSA and the amazing benefits of PAP.
Surgeries have risks and limited benefit, and medicines have side-effects and complications--especially when compared to the natural healing that can come with the harmless life-giving benefits from the slightly pressurized air of PAP therapy.
I am glad other approaches exist so that the very few people who can't use PAP and the others won't use PAP can at least get some limited relief. But I consider PAP and the help I received from this forum to have saved my life, since PAP completely solves my sleep-breathing troubles without side-effects. The therapy happens when I'm asleep, so it is less of a hassle to me than glasses, bathing, and brushing my teeth. And I enjoy added benefits that the the air I breathe all night is filtered and humidified.
I recommend people give PAP therapy the full shot and find the joy of life in it, because the commercials bad-mouthing PAP are just trying to misrepresent reality to sell you something.
Live long and be a papper.
Surgeries have risks and limited benefit, and medicines have side-effects and complications--especially when compared to the natural healing that can come with the harmless life-giving benefits from the slightly pressurized air of PAP therapy.
I am glad other approaches exist so that the very few people who can't use PAP and the others won't use PAP can at least get some limited relief. But I consider PAP and the help I received from this forum to have saved my life, since PAP completely solves my sleep-breathing troubles without side-effects. The therapy happens when I'm asleep, so it is less of a hassle to me than glasses, bathing, and brushing my teeth. And I enjoy added benefits that the the air I breathe all night is filtered and humidified.
I recommend people give PAP therapy the full shot and find the joy of life in it, because the commercials bad-mouthing PAP are just trying to misrepresent reality to sell you something.
Live long and be a papper.
Re: CPAP Alteanatives
What they all said is my experience too.
Perseverance and a positive mindset is worth the effort and health benefits.
Better sleep is amazing.
Perseverance and a positive mindset is worth the effort and health benefits.
Better sleep is amazing.
_________________
| Machine: AirSense™ 10 Elite CPAP Machine with HumidAir™ Heated Humidifier |
| Mask: Evora Full Face Mask |
Re: CPAP Alteanatives
Nothing else is as effective at treating Obstructive Sleep Apnea as CPAP Therapy.
Tester for OSCAR - Open Source CPAP Analysis Reporter