Thoughts re:Inline bacterial/viral filters I’ve used for years Airlife 001851

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
kms

Thoughts re:Inline bacterial/viral filters I’ve used for years Airlife 001851

Post by kms » Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:37 am

:oops: Image

I’m surprised this doesn’t seem to have been discussed here, but I’ve plugged the Airlife 001851 filters onto the end of my CPAP hoses for probably a decade. They’re not terribly expensive by the case if you shop around (under $2/each), only mildly restrictive if you swap in a new one weekly, spec’d to filter >99% of bacteria and viruses, and so also must capture larger particles as well.

I used them with one of the now recalled Philips Respironics self destructing foam machines, and I now wonder if these filters saved me from injury.

With some machines I would think pressures may need to be slightly increased, but my Resmed APAP seems to auto-adapt to the slight restriction from the filters without any intervention.

I think they’re a reasonable precaution/prophylactic measure to guard against pollution, infections, whatever microbial nasties might decide to breed in the machine/hose/reservoir, and self-destructing foam.

Thoughts?

(Note: I have no relationship with the manufacturer, just a satisfied customer sharing info.)

Dog Slobber

Re: Thoughts re:Inline bacterial/viral filters I’ve used for years Airlife 001851

Post by Dog Slobber » Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:09 am

kms wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:37 am
I think they’re a reasonable precaution...
I think they’re an unnecessary precaution.

SleepGeek

Re: Thoughts re:Inline bacterial/viral filters I’ve used for years Airlife 001851

Post by SleepGeek » Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:07 pm

Dog Slobber wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:09 am
kms wrote:
I think they’re a reasonable precaution...
I think they’re an unnecessary precaution.
Agreed.
I will add that anything inserted in the way of the air flow can/will obstruct the machine from detecting and treating events. One way to tell is to sleep a few nites w/o the obstruction to see how your data changes.

As the filter gets clogged with moisture it obstructs even more.
Happiness is being on Dog Slobber pr & zonkers foe list
CrankyGranny is Whale Road + many other ids
They are here to help.
zonkers + palerider aka GrumpyHere wrote: What exactly do you think you're adding to this thread?

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:33 pm

kms wrote:
I’m surprised this doesn’t seem to have been discussed here
Bacteria filters have been discussed many times. 621 hits - https://www.google.com/search?q=bacteri ... e&ie=UTF-8

They seem to be of no value in preventing viral or bacterial infections. Some claim they help with allergies.