Determining the Minimum APAP Pressure

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
andy88488

Determining the Minimum APAP Pressure

Post by andy88488 » Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:19 am

Hi all,

I'm trying to help my stepson, who was diagnosed with Apnea about 6 months ago. He's been using an APAP, the Airsense 11, in CPAP mode until recently. His AHI has been running about 6 - 10, which we'd like to get down.

His doctor set the CPAP pressure to 9, and he just kept it there. His treatment has made him feel more rested, but he's worried about the AHI. I recently got him to (a) put in a data card, (b) change the machine to APAP, and (c) set the pressure to 9 - 15. He hasn't looked at his OSCAR data yet, but I'm guessing that 9 is too low for a minimum pressure, and that he will be spending a large part of his night at a higher pressure.

So the question: how can I determine if (a) he should be at a higher minimum pressure than 9 and (b) what should that minimum pressure be? I'm assuming that the OSCAR data can help us with these questions, but I'm unsure about what to look at.

Thanks,

Andy
Resmed Airsense Autoset 10
Resmed Airfit F20 Mask

Pugsy

Re: Determining the Minimum APAP Pressure

Post by Pugsy » Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:39 am

You start with looking at the composition of the AHI.....what category of events before just randomly increasing the pressure in an effort to reduce the AHI.

Why? Because not everything can be fixed with more pressure.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

andy88488

Post by andy88488 » Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:03 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:39 am
You start with looking at the composition of the AHI.....what category of events before just randomly increasing the pressure in an effort to reduce the AHI.

Why? Because not everything can be fixed with more pressure.
Okay, thanks. I'll check back once I get the OSCAR data
Resmed Airsense Autoset 10
Resmed Airfit F20 Mask

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:57 am

Instead of asking how to interpret the OSCAR data and then make adjustments.

Post the OSCAR data and ask for suggested changes from experienced members. This way you'll get reliable advice and can learn the rational of any suggested changes.

If you don't know how to read a chart to make adjustments, you don't know how to describe a chart for accurate advice.