I need hand holding

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
loggerhead12

Re: I need hand holding

Post by loggerhead12 » Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:44 pm

djont57

Post by djont57 » Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:42 pm

New masks are also available on eBay; no prescription required.

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:30 pm

Good to know about these no-scrip options! Do check to make sure you'd be getting a complete mask.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

ozij

Post by ozij » Tue Jul 25, 2023 7:33 pm

An set the correct date and time on he machine.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

Bigcatdaddy

Post by Bigcatdaddy » Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:57 am

Thank you for the advice on where to buy supplies. I also found YouTube info on fitting the mask and fitting the headframe.

I was wondering if there would be any value to me turning on the machine and seeing what the last mode, settings and pressure levels were (assuming they're still in the memory)?
Or is that nonsense at this point of my journey?

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:17 am

Bigcatdaddy wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:57 am
I was wondering if there would be any value to me turning on the machine and seeing what the last mode, settings and pressure levels were (assuming they're still in the memory)?
Sure.

Bigcatdaddy

Post by Bigcatdaddy » Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:03 pm

I found a supplier for mask--required no Rx--switched to Respironics version--dreamwear full face, with several size nose cushions.

Release of info sent in for my data and now waiting.

Kind of excited to see if this goaround will finally pay-off on being able to tolerate therapy

Bigcatdaddy

Post by Bigcatdaddy » Sun Jul 30, 2023 7:12 am

Help again.

I just found my missing 3rd machine. It is a ResMed Aircurve 10, but this one says ST-A on it. So I have these 2 Aircurve machines….I don’t know which was the last one I used? Supposedly I was switched between to address my central apnea better.

So I have both a VAUTO and a ST-A machine. The ResMed product site states something about the ST-A machine handling hypoventilation syndromes better?

Still awaiting my sleep study data.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:54 pm

Bigcatdaddy wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 7:12 am
Help again.

I just found my missing 3rd machine. It is a ResMed Aircurve 10, but this one says ST-A on it. So I have these 2 Aircurve machines….I don’t know which was the last one I used? Supposedly I was switched between to address my central apnea better.

So I have both a VAUTO and a ST-A machine. The ResMed product site states something about the ST-A machine handling hypoventilation syndromes better?

Still awaiting my sleep study data.
Well, both machine will work fine for OHV. The ST-A (iVAPS) is designed largely for people that have lung diseases, like COPD. not just sleep apnea. The ST-A isn't great for sleep apnea.

I'll have to go back and read your whole thread before I can offer anything meaningful, and I don't have time for that today.

Hang in there.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Bigcatdaddy

Post by Bigcatdaddy » Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:32 am

Last edited by Bigcatdaddy on Fri Aug 04, 2023 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bigcatdaddy

Post by Bigcatdaddy » Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:42 am

Ok, mask has arrived!

So I'll try the vauto machine? Clean the resivoir and tubing. Put a SD card in machine?--(there's already a blue resmed SD card in it--nothing on the card about size or speed)

There's some other type port (empty) right below the SD card port

Try to sleep?
Report back success in sleeping or not?

Here is what menu says to me:
--ramp time 45 min
--humidity level 4
--mask-full face
Run mask fit?
Stop warmup?
Airplane mode-on

I held the selector and home button 3 sec--now in settings menu:
Therapy
Mode--s
IPAP--9
EPAP--5
Easy-breathe--on
TiMax--2.0s
TiMin--0.3s
Rise Time--(not activated)
Trigger--med
Cycle--med
Mask--full face

(Now comfort list)
Ramp time --45 min
Start EPAP--4.0
Humidity level--4

ACCESSORIES menu
Tube--slimline
A B Filter--no

Options menu
Essentials--on
Leak alert--off
Smart start--on
A reminders sub menu here

Configuration menu
Data in here all look correct

Wow, I'm lost!

Do the pressures look good enough to try and sleep? These settings are all original as machine was given to me by the tech. I have never changed them.

Bigcatdaddy

Post by Bigcatdaddy » Fri Aug 04, 2023 11:14 am

My understanding of this “S mode”, is that the machine will deliver nothing on its own to me? I only will trigger the machine with whatever spontaneous respirations I have—and when I do trigger the machine—it will default to the preset pressure supports and time limits?

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Fri Aug 04, 2023 11:48 am

From the clinician's handbook: "In S mode, you may set two treatment pressures-–one for inspiration (IPAP) and one for expiration (EPAP). The device senses when the patient is inhaling and exhaling and supplies the pressures accordingly."

Underneath the SD card slot is an adapter. Behind them is the place where the filter goes. Be sure you have a fresh one in there.

Just to get started, I recommend switching to VAuto mode and setting PS at 3, with EPAP min at 5 and IPAP max at 12. This will let us see how the machine responds to your breathing.

Turn the ramp off for now.

Turn off airplane mode; the machine will ask you repeatedly whether you want it on, and that can be annoying.

Leave the other settings where they are.

As I suggested earlier, I think you'd benefit from trying to use the machine during the day or evening, outside your bedroom, while you read or watch TV. Don't try sleeping with it until you have at least a few days to get used to the sensations. And during those days, you can let us know if there's something about how you and the machine get along that is bothering you. There might be some adjustments to help with your comfort before you try sleeping with the machine.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

Bigcatdaddy

Post by Bigcatdaddy » Fri Aug 04, 2023 12:09 pm

Thank you so much for helping me!

Those changes you recommend have been made, for what it's worth, the IPIAPmax was set at 25-- I changed it to 12. I found the filter--lily white! I never used these machines more than 20 nights. Will buy some more filters!

I will wear the mask while awake and doing tasks tonight, Saturday and Sunday. I will report on Sunday evening with my subjective interpretations as to how it felt.

Thx again

Bigcatdaddy

Post by Bigcatdaddy » Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:02 pm

Ok, I already know something needs to change. Wore x 1 hr working at my desk. Very uncomfortable—I’ll try to explain:

—feels like I’m pulling too hard to get air. I want a slightly larger volume of air to come into my lungs, and I want it to flow in much more easily.

—feels like I’m pushing too hard to exhale against the pressure. Also when I’m done exhaling, I feel there’s still air in my lungs that needs to come out—and to get it out means I have to consciously force more out.

Is this helpful feedback?