OSCAR chart to grade please? Newguy

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
robysue1

Re: OSCAR chart to grade please? Newguy

Post by robysue1 » Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:44 am

dataq1 wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:34 pm
Pugsy wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 2:47 pm
The whole idea with the machine flagging anything that remotely looks like real CSR is just to bring things to the attention of the patient's doctor so it doesn't get missed....just in case. They are being over cautious and that's fine.
Bringing this to attention of his professional was what I was suggesting.
And that's the problem: The GeneMpls wrote:
GeneMpls wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:03 am
I am sure I need CPAP but my sleep Doc is pretty
much unresponsive
and want to get this worked out with a better therapy program. He will allow me to transfer to a lady Dr in his practice.
In other words, it looks like GeneMpls has tried to get the sleep doc involved, but other than the pressure decrease ordered by the sleep doc, the sleep doc isn't responding to GeneMpls's inquiries. In other words, it seems the sleep doc is treating GeneMpls like a mushroom by keeping GeneMpls in the dark about what's going on.

So the $64,000 question is: How can GeneMpls get the information he needs from his unresponsive sleep doc?

dataq1 wrote:
What the original poster has not disclosed is if the CSR in his OSCAR report is a one-off, OR if his doctor has seen the Resmed interpretation of any CSR events. If his doctor did not observe CSR on his sleep study, the doctor may not be aware.
It seems like GeneMpls's sleep doc hasn't really give GeneMpls a full picture of what his diagnostic sleep study showed. It's also not clear if the sleep doc explained why he authorized a pressure decrease from 15cm to 12cm.

dataq1 wrote:
If it is not a one-off, he would be well advised to call it to his professional's attention and allow the doctor to determine if it's a problem.
Agreed, but the real question is: How does GeneMpls get his unresponsive sleep doc to look at the data and determine if there is a problem with amount of CAs and CSR being scored, and then explain to GeneMpls what the sleep doc thinks needs to be done about the problem (if there is one) or why this number of CAs and CSR can be ignored (for now) if the sleep doc thinks there is no problem that needs to be looked at?
Joined as robysue on 9/18/10. Forgot my password & the email I used was on a machine that has long since died & gone to computer heaven.

Correct number of posts is 7250 as robysue + what I have as robysue1

Profile pic: Frozen Niagara Falls

GeneMpls

Post by GeneMpls » Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:42 am

Thank you all for your thoughts, they are not spooking me, more like encouraging me. My sleep doc is the head of Neurology and I initially thought that was a good thing but I suspect he is too busy to give me much thought. I have an appt with a cardiologist tomorrow and I think he should see some of my OSCAR charts [thanks to you folks] and will get that arranged. I do not have a Sleep study report but I would think he could request that [and I will get one as well I will make an appt with one of his fellow docs and ask to have one at that time. I tend to have one or maybe two days a week that my mind actually functions. I will try the EPR off tonight and after the Cardiologist tomorrow perhaps I will have a better sense of direction.
I joined the Apneaboard when I started with the CPAP but never felt anyone was interested. I am an admin on a CO2 laser forum and am impressed with your forum. Thanks Gene

lynninnj

Post by lynninnj » Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:56 am

GeneMpls wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:42 am
Thank you all for your thoughts, they are not spooking me, more like encouraging me. My sleep doc is the head of Neurology and I initially thought that was a good thing but I suspect he is too busy to give me much thought. I have an appt with a cardiologist tomorrow and I think he should see some of my OSCAR charts [thanks to you folks] and will get that arranged. I do not have a Sleep study report but I would think he could request that [and I will get one as well I will make an appt with one of his fellow docs and ask to have one at that time. I tend to have one or maybe two days a week that my mind actually functions. I will try the EPR off tonight and after the Cardiologist tomorrow perhaps I will have a better sense of direction.
I joined the Apneaboard when I started with the CPAP but never felt anyone was interested. I am an admin on a CO2 laser forum and am impressed with your forum. Thanks Gene
Gene, get a copy of your prescription for CPAP too while you are there if you dont have one. Hold onto it. You might need it again at some point and be glad you have it.

Beware the schoolyard bullies, mean girls, and fragile male egos. Move along if you can’t be kind.

colomom

Post by colomom » Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:23 pm

GeneMpls wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:42 am
Another bit of advice regarding medical records. They’ll likely do an EKG at the Cardiologist if they don’t offer you a copy i’ld ask them to print up a copy of the EKG to keep for your records. Same goes for any other heart tests if they order any. Often an important question is have there been any changes, so even if nothing big shows up it’s good to hold onto heart records just incase any problems pop up somewhere down the road. If your sleep study was done in the same hospital system as the Cardiologist is in and the doctor can’t get you a copy of the sleep study ask where the records department is and pop in. They’ll have you sign a piece of paper and can print up any records you want (they might charge you for the paper).
If your practice has it if you haven’t already done so you also may want to get signed up for the patient portal.

Rubicon

Post by Rubicon » Sun Oct 30, 2022 5:20 pm

You have neurology and/or cardiology issues?
Freeze this moment a little bit longer.
Make each sensation a little bit stronger.
Experience slips away.

Rubicon

Post by Rubicon » Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:47 am

This sizable chunk of OAs people are talking about-- I only see 8 for an index of 0.90. Am I looking in the right place? And not seeing an actual event one wonders if those too are not really central-something.

At your physician visit today when he says "How ya doin'?" say "I think I need an ASV."

Not that you necessarily do (gotta peel a few more layers of the onion off) but IIWY I'd plant the seed sooner rather than later. And if you can get one for free you can always use another mode.
Experience slips away.

Rubicon

Post by Rubicon » Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:20 am

GeneMpls wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:03 am
I was feeling more and more tired and went back to GP and he found I had low thyroid function- after a week on meds
I am feeling pretty good [as opposed to like crap] and now have hope.
There is a relationship between sleep apnea (all kinds) and hypothyroidism.

Also, levothyroxine may significantly increase ventilatory drive (helpful because hypothyroidism can reduce ventilatory drive).

And it's a big onion too.
Experience slips away.

robysue1

Post by robysue1 » Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:00 am

Rubicon wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 5:20 pm
The OP (GeneMpls) says he's being seen by a cardiologist today. But he hasn't specified what that appointment is for.
Joined as robysue on 9/18/10. Forgot my password & the email I used was on a machine that has long since died & gone to computer heaven.

GeneMpls

Post by GeneMpls » Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:55 pm

Again- thanks everyone.
........... I thought everyone did?

I have not been having much luck with the CPAP and I cannot shake the feeling that there is something else going on as well. I had a very sweet Cardiologist who started this Cardio company and finally retired and I have never gotten around to going back. My daughter and sweetie at home have been ganging up on me... and I know I should. Had a HA when I was in my late thirties [did not know it at the time] and they always listened to me and set me free for couple years. As soon as I get the news today I will make an appt with a different doctor at the sleep center- a lady, I always have better luck with them. I have been organizing paperwork for the Cardio today- found the original [for the sleep center] paperwork for the test I took- I will upload that tomorrow. Gene

GeneMpls

Post by GeneMpls » Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:57 am

Well I wish I could say that the Cardio went well, but, why would it? My old Cardio medic retired four years ago and started this company, looks like they have 20 or so MDs and ODs and PAs and the one I drew was very nervous [feet dancing constantly] and friendly but not interested in any CPAP info as far as I could tell. He sez I have a slight heart murmur [have had as far back as I remember] and I will get a Echo-cardiogram tomorrow and he can evaluate that. Pretty much as expected. I did spent time yesterday arranging some of my paperwork and found the sheets from the at home test I took for the Sleep doc- I scanned them and will post in case someone sees something of import.
Diagnostic Report 1.jpg
Diagnostic Report 2.jpg
And my Oscar report from last night- second night with no EPR- I woke about midnight and thought it was morning [very confused/ it is dark till 8:00 here in the North Country] and never got back to sleep. Very tired [eyes/mind] body seems OK so far.
screenshot-20221101-11.1.22.png
Thanks all- Gene

colomom

Post by colomom » Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:00 pm

GeneMpls wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:57 am
Well I wish I could say that the Cardio went well, but, why would it? My old Cardio medic retired four years ago and started this company, looks like they have 20 or so MDs and ODs and PAs and the one I drew was very nervous [feet dancing constantly] and friendly but not interested in any CPAP info as far as I could tell. He sez I have a slight heart murmur [have had as far back as I remember] and I will get an Echo-cardiogram tomorrow and he can evaluate that. Pretty much as expected. I did spent time yesterday arranging some of my paperwork and found the sheets from the at home test I took for the Sleep doc- I scanned them and will post in case someone sees something of import.

And my Oscar report from last night- second night with no EPR- I woke about midnight and thought it was morning [very confused/ it is dark till 8:00 here in the North Country] and never got back to sleep. Very tired [eyes/mind] body seems OK so far.

Thanks all- Gene
You mention living up North, what elevation do you live at?

The sleep study shows that your O2 levels without treatment were pretty low. Did they do overnight oximetry after you started using the APAP to make sure your O2 levels are good now? If they haven’t done the overnight oximetry with your APAP I would ask for it, it’s an easy inexpensive test.

Good luck with the Echo tomorrow!

GeneMpls

Post by GeneMpls » Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:20 pm

MPLS is 830'- I have a O2 ring-Ox gets down to mid 80s sometimes- I have offered the charts to him.

robysue1

Post by robysue1 » Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:36 pm

GeneMpls,

The most notable things I see in what you've posted are:

1) The fact that turning EPR off significantly increased the number of hypopneas, but the number of OAs and CAs remained about the same. Turning EPR off also eliminated the breathing being scored as "CSR" breathing. The number of hypopneas seems to have tripled after turning EPR off. That increase in hypopneas is quite troublesome, but it is also counter-intuitive. The usual assumption is that hypopneas are obstructive in nature, but turning EPR off actually provides a very small (2cm) increase in your exhalation pressure. And intuitively that should either have not affected the number of hypopneas or it should have lead to a minor decrease in their numbers. But that slight increase in exhalation pressure really should not have lead to a tripling of one type of an obstructive event. I really wish Rubicon would take a close look at your data and weigh in.

2) The handwritten note on the sleep study that gives a script for fixed CPAP at 15 cm with EPR = 2. How was that original script determined? Did the sleep doc just pull those numbers out of his rear end? Or was there some kind of titration done? (A week trial in APAP would count as a titration study.)

Taken together, these bring up the following questions:

1) Why was the pressure decreased from 15 cm to 12cm? In one of your earlier posts you said that your doctor had reduced your pressure from 15 cm to 12 cm, but you never told us why. In other words, did the sleep doc ever look at the data recorded by your machine when you were using 15cm? If so, did he order the pressure decrease based on something he saw in that data?

2) There are a lot of unclassified apneas scored on the sleep test; what is their significance? It appears that the sleep doc that wrote the script for 15cm at the top of the sleep test just assumed that most of those are obstructive events. In other words, the interpretation of the study and the official diagnosis is "Severe Obstructive Sleep Apnea." But should those unclassified apneas have just been assumed to be obstructive? Or perhaps, to put it another way: Since your current machine is scoring a ton of centrals, should those unclassified apneas on the sleep test be looked at more closely with an eye to figuring out whether you might just have mixed sleep apnea.

3) Or if most of those unclassified apneas scored on the sleep test are actually obstructive, could that mean many of the CAs your machine is scoring are actually OAs that are being mislabeled? (Perhaps Rubicon could go through your data posted to SleepHQ looking at those CAs to tease out whether he believes they are really CAs or OAs.)

4) Since then number of Hs tripled when EPR was turned off, are all of those new Hs obstructive? Or could some (most) of them be central in nature? The answers to these questions also tie back to why the pressure was decreased by the doctor in the first place and the significance of the large number of unclassified apneas on the sleep study itself.

In other words, there may be more going on here than plain vanilla OSA that just needs more pressure to fix the problem.

robysue1

Post by robysue1 » Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:38 pm

GeneMpls wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:20 pm
MPLS is 830'- I have a O2 ring-Ox gets down to mid 80s sometimes- I have offered the charts to him.
When does the Ox get down to the mid 80s? When you are awake? or asleep? or both?

Who is "him"---your sleep doc? or your cardiologist?

Rubicon

Post by Rubicon » Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:50 pm

robysue1 wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:36 pm

2) There are a lot of unclassified apneas scored on the sleep test; what is their significance?
It's significant in that the interpreting physician is a LSOS.

The interpretation says "This was a technically adequate study". The study is noted to have been scored (or overscored) manually.

The software would score an apnea as unclassified if the effort signal was poor and determination could not be made as to whether the apnea was central or obstructive. It would then be up to the scorer to go back and edit those events and make the determination manually.

Given that virtually all the apneas in the first 2/3 of the study were unclassified, undoubtedly the effort belt was poorly placed and/or non-functional. Consequently, the study cannot be called " technically adequate".
Experience slips away.