Hallelujah, I've Been Cured Father...

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
GearChange

Hallelujah, I've Been Cured Father...

Post by GearChange » Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:46 am

Actually I have no clue what's happening here because since my last post when I moved back to the West Coast, I am still hitting below 1 AHI, almost every night and I say "almost" because I still seem to go on a Central Apnea bender once in a while, when I don't breath for like 20 minutes at a time and without waking up, thanks to my ASV which keeps me ventilated while I happily continue on a REM sleep, not breathing or having a care in the world about it. But these events are now very few and far in between.
Those of you who are familiar with Philips Respironics System-1, know how difficult it is to hit below 5 AHI with these machines, as compared to Resemd equipment that tell you you "all's good" from like the first night, reporting AHIs of below 2, every night :D
Since moving out to the West Coast (or the Best Coast), I have been getting sleep like below when I sleep throughout the night, consistently breathing independently at over 85% average rating, which is very odd for someone who has a clinical AHI of >57

West coast straight .png

I am however still going on a bender every now and then and hit ZERO respiration for long periods of time but these are very few and far in between now and I do not have any explanation for them (and no I don't do Opiates, I am not on any Opiates meds and I do not drink like a fish, just a beer or two once in a while).

West coast bender.png

FYI, since the last post I have made my bedding almost identical to my pad on the East Coast and there's isn't much that I can do about the weather here. Its is just different.
So I don't know what is happening here and I am not quite sure how to scientifically test my seemingly "cured" CSA, other than starting sleep without the machine and see how it goes...then how I'll I measure it? Will I just see how well I'll sleep without the machine or watch for how many times I will wake up to gasp for air? The thing is that CSA patients don't remember waking up for breaths, so how will I do this, without paying a visit back to the sleep clinic (I hate that gig)? Questions questions..
Even though I have had extensive experience with the use and functionality of several types of different PAP machines,no information in my posts should be put in practice unless cleared by your own medical practitioner first.

dataq1

Re: Hallelujah, I've Been Cured Father...

Post by dataq1 » Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:55 pm

GearChange wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:46 am

So I don't know what is happening here and I am not quite sure how to scientifically test my seemingly "cured" CSA, other than starting sleep without the machine and see how it goes...then how I'll I measure it?
Congratulations! Hope that your observations are accurate !

I don't know if your machine can be set up as a straight Cpap (with constant pressure) but one experiment you could try (to obtain some sort of "measurements) would be to adjust your settings to give the minimal amount of pressure constantly - perhaps 4cm - and see what numbers you get with the most minimal of treatment.
Short of getting a new untreated sleep study, that's the only suggestion I can make to get "measurements".
Best of Luck
"THE INFORMATION PROVIDED ON CPAPTALK.COM IS NOT INTENDED NOR RECOMMENDED AS A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE."

GearChange

Post by GearChange » Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:05 pm

dataq1 wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:55 pm
GearChange wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:46 am

So I don't know what is happening here and I am not quite sure how to scientifically test my seemingly "cured" CSA, other than starting sleep without the machine and see how it goes...then how I'll I measure it?
Congratulations! Hope that your observations are accurate !

I don't know if your machine can be set up as a straight Cpap (with constant pressure) but one experiment you could try (to obtain some sort of "measurements) would be to adjust your settings to give the minimal amount of pressure constantly - perhaps 4cm - and see what numbers you get with the most minimal of treatment.
Short of getting a new untreated sleep study, that's the only suggestion I can make to get "measurements".
Best of Luck
I think it has a CPAP mode. Thanks.
Yes worth trying.
Even though I have had extensive experience with the use and functionality of several types of different PAP machines,no information in my posts should be put in practice unless cleared by your own medical practitioner first.

kteague

Post by kteague » Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:00 am

My old recording oximeter bit the dust and have been looking at replacements and considering the features of different models, like an alarm if the oxygen drops. Think I saw one that alarms if the respirations drop. If I had CSA I wouldn't sleep without a machine without wearing an oximeter, but that's likely just my paranoia speaking from knowing a family impacted by several adult family members having CSA. Might be a worthwhile investment in your situation.

GearChange

Post by GearChange » Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:58 am

kteague wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:00 am
My old recording oximeter bit the dust and have been looking at replacements and considering the features of different models, like an alarm if the oxygen drops. Think I saw one that alarms if the respirations drop. If I had CSA I wouldn't sleep without a machine without wearing an oximeter, but that's likely just my paranoia speaking from knowing a family impacted by several adult family members having CSA. Might be a worthwhile investment in your situation.
Indeed, I won't sleep without one.
If you look at my chart, you will note my SpO2 graph (in green) towards the bottom of the page on each chart.
I use a ring type that monitors my HR and SPO2 and is set to vibrate and wake me up, if either drops below my set threshold.
I recommend O2 Ring because it is comfortable to wear (all the time if you like) and quite accurate (I have posted about it before);
https://getwellue.com/pages/o2ring-oxygen-monitor

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:01 pm

Those of you who are familiar with Philips Respironics System-1, know how difficult it is to hit below 5 AHI with these machines, as compared to Resemd equipment that tell you you "all's good" from like the first night, reporting AHIs of below 2, every night
Are you looking at the AHI reported on the PRS1 screen or Oscar? Remember that the PRS1 screen only shows 7 or 30 day AVERAGES, not a nightly reading. One more reason those machines are crap. Oscar will show your actual AHI for any given night.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:25 pm

Janknitz wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:01 pm
Those of you who are familiar with Philips Respironics System-1, know how difficult it is to hit below 5 AHI with these machines, as compared to Resemd equipment that tell you you "all's good" from like the first night, reporting AHIs of below 2, every night
Are you looking at the AHI reported on the PRS1 screen or Oscar? Remember that the PRS1 screen only shows 7 or 30 day AVERAGES, not a nightly reading. One more reason those machines are crap. Oscar will show your actual AHI for any given night.
Don't waste your time with that one.... they already know everything.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

GearChange

Post by GearChange » Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:21 am

Janknitz wrote:
Both OSCAR and my machine report exactly the same daily AHI and the Respironics reports 7 day and 30 day averages too, so I have no idea what you are talking about.
It is also a well known fact that Respironics makes the best PAP machines in the world. There's no dispute about that.

GearChange

Post by GearChange » Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:32 am

palerider wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:25 pm
Janknitz wrote:
Don't waste your time with that one.... they already know everything.
giphy.gif
giphy.gif (705.01 KiB) Viewed 1418 times

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:46 am

GearChange wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:21 am
It is also a well known fact that Respironics makes the best PAP machines in the world. There's no dispute about that.
Well......actually it is your opinion and not necessarily that of others so the part about the "there's no dispute" is incorrect.
You are entitled to your opinion and others are entitled to theirs but no one's opinion is the gospel except to themselves.

Maybe no dispute in your mind but a lot of dispute out there in others' minds...including mine and I happen to have used both brands of ASV machines.

A while back I asked you nicely not to go down this road that you are trying to go down and I asked you not to start a new thread to do so. Yet, here we are. Another pissing contest in the making and I am in no mood for it.
WE WILL NOT HAVE ANOTHER PISSING CONTEST HERE ABOUT WHICH ASV BRAND IS "BETTER".

Do you all hear me? This is my only warning....continue and I will act and you won't like what I do.

You've been cured...per your topic line. Fine, move on and shut up. You don't really want help...you want to promote your "opinion" and start a fight....and I am ending that fight right here and now.

Have a nice day.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Rubicon

Post by Rubicon » Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:26 am

Pugsy wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:46 am
... ANOTHER PISSING CONTEST...
I have a "rules" question about that.

Do the ladies get a handicap? Like 2 or 3 feet?

Doesn't seem fair otherwise.

TIA.
Freeze this moment a little bit longer.
Make each sensation a little bit stronger.
Experience slips away.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:42 am

Rubicon wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:26 am
Pugsy wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:46 am
... ANOTHER PISSING CONTEST...

Doesn't seem fair otherwise.

TIA.

:lol: :lol:

Hadn't thought about a handicap...how about we make the guys do it in front of a huge hurricane fan???
The old pissing into the wind handicap???

Otherwise this gal can (and will) even things out by making use of some of her super powers to stop pissing contests between members that are nothing but anything remotely helpful to anyone except egos and they just want to see their words in print because it makes them feel big and important....and right.
I forget the name of that personality disorder. It's on the tip of my tongue.

Or the people who just want to stir up trouble here and want to argue for the sake of just arguing.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Rubicon

Post by Rubicon » Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:25 am

Pugsy wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:42 am
...how about we make the guys do it in front of a huge hurricane fan???
I guess that would be OK.

As long as we don't stand too close.
Experience slips away.

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:49 am

Pugsy wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:42 am
Rubicon wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:26 am

Hadn't thought about a handicap...how about we make the guys do it in front of a huge hurricane fan???
Just make sure the fans aren't manufactured by Philips.

It is also a well known fact that Philips makes the worst fans in the world. There's no dispute about that.

Rubicon

Post by Rubicon » Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:55 am

Dog Slobber wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:49 am

It is also a well known fact that Philips makes the worst fans in the world. There's no dispute about that.
Actually the Maple Leafs are the worst fans! Really! Look it up!
Experience slips away.