Eye seal mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Lindamk

Eye seal mask

Post by Lindamk » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:02 pm

Has anyone tried using an eye seal mask - really for dry eye. I get puffy eyelids even with high scores for mask seal. Recently unable to use mask due to facial injury and eyelids returned to normal so I believe air is leaking into my eyes. Recommended cup eye masks haven't helped so I was looking for something which actually sealed to skin and found these ones for dry eye but there are no reviews from purchasers and they are expensive so looking for advice.

michgol

Re: Eye seal mask

Post by michgol » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:56 am

I have used them for a while, before getting CPAP for dry eye. I have found the eye seal masks to seal the best. However, the cost is high and I have had a few durability issues with the quartz model. The one with the memory foam is my favorite and what I keep coming back to.

Note in my years of fighting with nigh time dry eyes I have tried a lot of stuff. the eye seal masks are the ones that actually work for me.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:25 pm

Lindamk wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:02 pm
I get puffy eyelids even with high scores for mask seal.
Which CPAP mask are you using? Maybe some of the members that use the same mask can help you make it leak-free. Even a little bit of leak has the potential to cause dry eyes.

Please fill out your equipment profile.

Welcome!

Lindamk

Post by Lindamk » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:57 pm

Am currently using an F20 but I've been given other sizes and other styles to try which haven't helped. I've searched this site and bought liners which someone suggested would help to no avail. It was on Amazon I saw these sealing types which mentioned use for dry and CPAP users. However it was Amazon USA (I'm in UK) and was already about $50 before shipping. I've even bought toupe/wig tape but that was a bit painful to remove so not practical. Thanks for taking trouble to reply.

klm49

Post by klm49 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:39 pm

Lindamk wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:57 pm
Am currently using an F20 but I've been given other sizes and other styles to try which haven't helped. I've searched this site and bought liners which someone suggested would help to no avail. It was on Amazon I saw these sealing types which mentioned use for dry and CPAP users. However it was Amazon USA (I'm in UK) and was already about $50 before shipping. I've even bought toupe/wig tape but that was a bit painful to remove so not practical. Thanks for taking trouble to reply.
I use an Amara View, doesn't go up on the nose as far. What I have dome is cut a strip of a T-shirt about 3-4" tall and 12-20" long. I just lay/tuck that along the top of the seal and it seems to work/help. I sleep on my side but the side straps on the mask will hold the t-shirt.

Resmed AirCurve10 Vauto w/humidifier
Amara View mask
O2 - 2-4 lpm

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:05 pm

I had fairly good luck with swim goggles.
I punched a hole in the outside flap on each side to equalize air pressure around my eyes.

Last edited by chunkyfrog on Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lindamk

Post by Lindamk » Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:34 am

Thanks. Will try the T shirt strip and if that doesn't work will try swim goggles when we're out of lockdown. Only shops open in UK are food shops and builders merchants.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:02 am

Mail order?

zonker

Post by zonker » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:55 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:25 pm

Please fill out your equipment profile.
granny, that feature isn't currently working.

of course SOME people have never filled it out, anyway.

<whistles innocently>
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

booksfan

Post by booksfan » Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:38 pm

When I started using CPAP, air leaking just about destroyed my eyes! I was pretty much unable to function normally...could not drive, read, watch TV, knit, etc. It was from mask leaking and exhaust. Once I started using the Bleep, there was significant improvement, but the damage was done. I now have to use a silicone eye mask to sleep (among other treatments for severe dry eye and other issues). The one I use is the Eye Eco Eye Seals 4.0. Yes it is expensive, about $60, I think, but I figure my eyes are priceless. With care, the mask will last for 6-8 months. Worth every penny to me! The return policy from the Dry Eye Shop is generous if you order the wrong one or the wrong size.

Mask: Bleep Eclipse/Halos
Machine: ResMed AirSense 11 AutoSet

michgol

Post by michgol » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:44 pm

If you have the F20 depending on your face you may not be able to get an eye mask to seal. For me the top of the mask got in the way. I switched to the F30 for that reason. That said I have found the F30 a bit harder to fit leak free.