Does your body heal from damage done from lack of O2?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Revived1

Does your body heal from damage done from lack of O2?

Post by Revived1 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:59 am

I did a sleep test in April, and due to the results being held up in the mail because of Corona virus, I didn't get them back for a while. Once I got them back, I found a sleep doctor and started on APAP about a month ago.
My question is mainly to do with how much a body can heal from damage done due to lack of oxygen. My test results were very bad. I had 86 events per hour, ranging from 20 to 80 seconds, and most of the night my oxygen saturation level was less than 88%. The lowest it got down to was 37%. (No wonder I'd been feeling so bad for so long)! I'd considered doing a sleep study before that, but because I've always had very bad insomnia, I never know when I will actually be able to sleep, so I didn't want to go somewhere for a sleep study and sit there awake all night. I ended up doing one at home, and I'm very glad that I did.
So, to my question....Do you think my body/brain can heal from what's been going on in my sleep? I do feel like my sense of clarity is improving a lot, and my short term memory to some extent, but I find it hard to believe I will heal properly from so much damage that I'm sure must have been done.
What do others think? Thanks for any replies.

Pugsy

Re: Does your body heal from damage done from lack of O2?

Post by Pugsy » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:28 am

Studies have shown that with time and effective cpap therapy the body can recover and heal from damage done during periods of low oxygen levels. Takes some time though....just like the damage done is a more slow cumulative type of damage...the healing also takes time. It's not something where there is a simple on/off switch to make changes.
Any kind of healing of the body takes time.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:31 am

I was still noticing improvement YEARS after starting.
All while getting older . . .

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:23 pm

Hypoxia is only one form of injury from moderate-to-severe OSA. Bad sleep and surging stress hormones do their damage, too--sometimes in more significant ways than low oxygen and high carbon dioxide. Remember, OSA is more about sleep than about blood gas alone.

Healing and recovery are very individual in nature, but once a person is getting good sleep, isn't being jarred awake by hormones several times a night, and is getting oxygen to all organs all night and clearing carbon dioxide properly, amazing things can start to happen in recovery from OSA. Please note, however, that this requires optimized, verified treatment--not just occasionally slapping a badly adjusted mask connected to a machine at any old setting onto one's face. Thus the importance of treatment data from a full-data treatment machine.

Addressing your direct question, though, if we use what is known about the more-studied, more-severe, one-time injuries to a brain that occur from a complete lack of oxygen (even though that injury is very different from the assumed repetitive injuries from the much-less-damaging temporary dips in oxygen levels common with serious OSA) and then use those averages as a broad comparative model for estimating the timing/pattern of overall healing to a brain from lesser oxygen-dip injuries from bad sleep across a population, then . . .
The most rapid recovery is usually in the first six months, and by about one year the likely long-term outcome will have become clearer. However, improvement may continue for much longer after brain injury, certainly for several years, although the steps may become more modest and gradual after the first few months. -- https://www.headway.org.uk/about-brain- ... -recovery/
In my opinion, the information from studies of single, severe brain injury is much more useful in addressing questions like yours than information obtained so far from researchers' trying to hunt down improvements from lesser injuries from conditions such as OSA, since the location and nature of the lesser injuries are harder to track down and quantify because of, among other things, individual variation patient to patient.
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Midwest_non_sleeper

Post by Midwest_non_sleeper » Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:41 pm

Additionally, the heart can also be damaged from long term oxygen desaturations.

Mine were only going down to 84%, but I had untreated apnea for a very long time. Over time, the interior lining of my arteries became inflamed, so that precipitated my liver to release blood lipids to coat them. Those lipids have now calcified, and I'm stuck with some plaque buildup in my LAD, all from untreated sleep apnea over a decade or more. When blood oxygen is consistently low, the body naturally releases epinephrine - adrenaline, which raises blood pressure. Over prolonged periods, that inflames your arteries. You get the picture, it's a bad cycle. As far as I know, those plaque deposits will never go away and will only grow, so a heart attack is very likely in my future. The damage is done, but at least it was caught.

The sooner it is caught, the better.

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:52 pm

Good point, MNS. It illustrates to me how DNA/family-history comes into play in how a body reacts to the malady and to the treatment, which makes defining all the benefits of successful PAP therapy a difficult and expensive thing to study. And that is one reason my simple brain always defaults to "bad sleep and bad breathing always make everything worse, but good sleep and good breathing always make everything better than they otherwise would be." The studies are mostly just details after the fact.
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Revived1

Post by Revived1 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:11 am

Thank you very much for the replies. They make me feel better. I like that article, jnk, esp. the bit where it says, "Good improvement within the first month after an anoxic episode suggests that the outcome may be more favourable." :) I noticed a big improvement right from the first night I started using the machine, so hopefully that bodes well.
Pugsy, that's a good point about damage that takes time to accumulate will also take time to heal. I'm guessing I've had this problem (sleep apnea) for 10 - 15 years, so things have had a long time to get bad. I have diabetes and high blood pressure, plus a heart murmur - all of which have happened within the last 10 years, so they are probably all related to each other. I was also anaemic for a long time, but at least that is sorted now. Froggy, it's great to hear you saw improvements for years. That def. gives me hope.
Midwest_non_sleeper, sorry to hear about your liver issues. Sounds painful. As you say, "The sooner it is caught, the better". Very true.
When I started on the machine, I used a Mirage Quattro mask, and even though I couldn't get it to work for me, (i.e. leaked like a sieve a lot of the time), it still took my events from 86 to less than 1 per hour. I changed masks after a few weeks, and like my current one a lot more. It still keeps my events down, although they were a bit higher last night because I slept on my back.
I've learnt a lot from reading all the posts on this site. I wish I'd found it before I bought my first mask, but it was the problems that I had with it that led me to looking for info., which led me to this site. I guess the Quattro was a bit of a blessing in disguise in that respect, plus any mask I ever use after it will seem like a dream! I felt like those dogs you see with their heads out the car window, I had so much air rushing past my face with the leaks.
Anyway, thanks again for your replies. Much appreciated. :) I'll keep reading all the posts on here, as they help a lot to know what's normal and what isn't.

Woody

Post by Woody » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:58 am

Back in 2006 I was woried I was geting A;zhimers then I had a sleep study. Found I would
need a cpap set to 14 and 2l of oxygen with it. Very slowley my memory got better then
one day I noticed that in my sifi book colection there was one 5 book seriese that I realy liked
and in my almost zombi like days I had bought a total of five sets of this fine 5 book seriese.
Strange to be 70 and know my memory is better than it was 15 years ago. But I wonder if
the cpap and oxygen made my hair turn gray, it wasn't gray 15 years ago, perhaps a bipap
would help ( this was intended as a joke )

Additional Comments: SleapyHead software

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:15 pm

Most normal bodies heal to some extent, when health problems are corrected or treated. Are they likely to return to where they would be if you never had the health problem in the first place, not likely.

While correcting a health problem. repair of the damage will take time and our general health and age will affect our recovery, also as we recover we keep getting older and our systems that repair our bodies become less effective.

The best repair would be SWIMMING (in the Fountain Of Youth, 23 hours a day should be about right. Don't want to get Wrinkles. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Revived1

Post by Revived1 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:24 am

Woody, I totally understand about buying a number of things that you like, when you've bought the same item before. I sometimes find things that I have two of, totally forgetting that I'd already bought the same item! Buying 5 sets of books was a really spectacular effort, though. :D I was starting to think I might have been getting some sort of dementia as well. I'm glad we both found out what the real cause was! It makes me wonder what happened in the old days...I guess people just got what appeared to be dementia from sleep apnea, and no-one knew that was the reason.
"Strange to be 70 and know my memory is better than it was 15 years ago." I like that quote. Very funny, but true. Re: the gray hair, I am having the same problem! Only dye will cure that, but if you're a man, you might not go for that idea too much. :) I'm a woman in my early...ish 50's, so dye is my friend!
Goofproof, I'd say it's true that my health won't get back to what it would have been, and it's a good point that our bodies become less able to repair themselves as we get older. There's an annoying irony in that. :roll: I know my diabetes won't disappear for a start, although the high blood pressure might improve. I'm just so glad my memory is (slowly!) improving, though. People talk about having the memory of a gnat....I think gnats were way ahead of me until a few weeks ago! If you happen to find a Fountain Of Youth, let me know. I'll fly to the U.S. just to take a swim in it. (If I happen to find one in Australia, I'll post on here and let everyone know where it is).

First World Problems

Post by First World Problems » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:59 pm

Revived1 wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:24 am
If you happen to find a Fountain Of Youth, let me know. I'll fly to the U.S. just to take a swim in it. (If I happen to find one in Australia, I'll post on here and let everyone know where it is).
If this is ever posted, I hope the mods make it a sticky. I sure don't want to miss it!

Revived1

Post by Revived1 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:39 am

First World Problems wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:59 pm
Revived1 wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:24 am
If you happen to find a Fountain Of Youth, let me know. I'll fly to the U.S. just to take a swim in it. (If I happen to find one in Australia, I'll post on here and let everyone know where it is).
If this is ever posted, I hope the mods make it a sticky. I sure don't want to miss it!
:lol: at 'make it a sticky'. Good idea.
Out of interest, I just googled 'fountain of youth' to see if anyone was currently claiming to know of one. I did find something interesting, which is on this site, https://www.smh.com.au/technology/three ... z9j2g.html . It's a safe site - The Sydney Morning Herald Newspaper site. Scientists are on the case, and making progress in finding a cure for ageing, so it seems. I'll keep my eye on that!
I just found something else today that I'd bought two of! A yearly pass to a theme park. Bought one on the net a few weeks ago (for when COVID passes), and then found one in the console of my car today. Ahhh...the perils of having no memory. But, it issss improving! :)

kteague

Post by kteague » Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:26 am

Funny memory story. I am very low maintenance when it comes to clothing. Good thrift shop find and I'm a happy camper. One time I found a pair of stretchy black pants and thought they'd be good to wear around the house. Bought them without trying them on as they looked about right. Well, I must not be as big as I feel because the pants were all baggy around the belly. Or maybe I lost weight? Oh well, no big loss at $1.99. It should be easy enough to find another pair of generic stretchy black pants. And a few weeks later I did. Got home and tried them on. They too were too big around the belly - in a strangely familiar kind of way. Yes, I did that. :oops:

Thankfully my memory improved after that.

Revived1

Post by Revived1 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:20 am

kteague wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:26 am
Funny memory story. I am very low maintenance when it comes to clothing. Good thrift shop find and I'm a happy camper. One time I found a pair of stretchy black pants and thought they'd be good to wear around the house. Bought them without trying them on as they looked about right. Well, I must not be as big as I feel because the pants were all baggy around the belly. Or maybe I lost weight? Oh well, no big loss at $1.99. It should be easy enough to find another pair of generic stretchy black pants. And a few weeks later I did. Got home and tried them on. They too were too big around the belly - in a strangely familiar kind of way. Yes, I did that. :oops:

Thankfully my memory improved after that.
:lol: kteague. Very funny! I'm glad your memory improved after that. It's such a relief when the memory starts improving. Having no memory is so inconvenient in so many ways.