Dry mouth

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Jslkw

Dry mouth

Post by Jslkw » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:15 am

I’m using an ResMed autosense 10. I just started using the dreamwear nasal pilllow ask about a month ago. I am experiencing severe mouth dryness. I really love how the air input is on top of my head and don’t want to have to give that up. Any suggestions ?

Jas_williams

Re: Dry mouth

Post by Jas_williams » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:50 am

A dry mouth is normally caused by mouth breathing.

There is various things to help reduce mouth breathing, a chin strap, a soft cervical collar, mouth taping. Also over time we get used to keeping or mouths shut.

zonker

Post by zonker » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:09 pm

Jslkw wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:15 am
I’m using an ResMed autosense 10. I just started using the dreamwear nasal pilllow ask about a month ago. I am experiencing severe mouth dryness. I really love how the air input is on top of my head and don’t want to have to give that up. Any suggestions ?
welcome to the zoo! jas has given good advice.

what you can do to immediately take care of dry mouth are remedies you can find in the oral health section of your local drugstore. there you'll find gels, mouth wash and lozenges designed to help.

i recommend the lozenge. particularly, xylimelts. this is a small thing that sits between teeth and cheek. it slowly dissolves overnight, promoting saliva production. works a treat. you can find it, for sure, at cvs and riteaid. prolly in others as well. i'm just saying where i found it.

also it's on amazon.

good luck!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:36 am

There are some stuff for dry mouth at the pharmacy. Sprays, etc... I've used them early on. I am a mouth breather too. I've gotten used to it. Lots of "getting used to it" when you are on cpap therapy! :lol:

Sheriff

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:03 am

I agree with the xylimelts...I tried them for the first time this week and they really work. I got them on amazon.

roadcycler

Post by roadcycler » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:20 pm

Jas_williams wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:50 am
Also over time we get used to keeping or mouths shut.
Don't know about that. The older I get the more I tend to voice my opinion, deal less with BS and tell people what I think :lol:

Becca8104

Post by Becca8104 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:26 pm

dry mouth happens with full face masks as well, because you breathe through your nose & mouth. I prefer full face and have gotten used to having a dry mouth. I have never tried those lozenges suggested. I will definitely order them.
“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. ” —Aristotle.

carey.bolam

Post by carey.bolam » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:38 am

I had terrible dry mouth for the first few days I had my cpap and by dry I mean my teeth started feel weird. I got the pressure lowered a bit and my mouth went back to normal

Becca8104

Post by Becca8104 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:13 pm

I bumped my humidification from 4 to 5 last night and that seemed to help, and I had no rain out, so will leave it at level 5 for awhile to see if that is enough.
“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. ” —Aristotle.