I am going to try using a Remzzz's mask liner tonight

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Rosepetal

I am going to try using a Remzzz's mask liner tonight

Post by Rosepetal » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:02 pm

Hi, I am a newbie living in New Zealand. I started using CPAP 10 days ago (Fisher & Paykel Sleepstyle Auto CPAP and Fisher & Paykel Vitera mask). I was wondering how often I will be needing to replace components of the CPAP and the mask so I can budget for it. I will have to pay for the replacement parts myself as there is no financial support here for CPAP therapy here that I know of :( Thanks.
Last edited by Rosepetal on Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

palerider

Re: How often will I need to replace parts for mask & CPAP

Post by palerider » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:57 pm

Rosepetal wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:02 pm
Hi, I am a newbie living in New Zealand. I started using CPAP 10 days ago (Fisher & Paykel Sleepstyle Auto CPAP and Fisher & Paykel Vitera mask). I was wondering how often I will be needing to replace components of the CPAP and the mask so I can budget for it. I will have to pay for the replacement parts myself as there is no financial support here for CPAP therapy here that I know of :( Thanks.
It depends on how often, and how vigorously you scrub the parts.

A gentle unscented dish soap and warm water wash of the mask every week, and it could last for years.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Rosepetal

Post by Rosepetal » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:53 pm

Thanks Palerider. Have you ever needed to replace the air tube or water (humidity) chamber for the CPAP? Also my CPAP filters can't be washed, I was told by my support team to just flick the filters to get the dust off them :roll:

TropicalDiver

Post by TropicalDiver » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:10 pm

Filters are inexpensive; particularly when purchased in bulk. In the USA, Amazon is one place to purchase.

For hose, mask, humidifier chamber, I believe in always having a spare. Things can break at the most awkward time.

For most people here, hoses last several years. Unless a pet chews on them or they get consistently pulled on hard. Humidifier Chambers can also last a long time. Mask cushions are very much a ymmv thing...some replace every few years; others every few months.
Machine: Aircurve 10 Vauto (Prior S9 VPAP)
Mask: Quattro Air FFM and AirTouch F20 FFM

Rosepetal

Post by Rosepetal » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:38 pm

Thanks TropicalDiver, I will have a look at Amazon New Zealand.

The place where I purchased my CPAP and mask from sells the filters for $9 for 2 and shipping is $10 !!! with no discount for bulk buying.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:48 am

Rosepetal wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:53 pm
Thanks Palerider. Have you ever needed to replace the air tube or water (humidity) chamber for the CPAP? Also my CPAP filters can't be washed, I was told by my support team to just flick the filters to get the dust off them :roll:
I'm probably soon to go to my third hose in 10 years, the first one, the ends got soft and the mask kept slipping off, this second one, the hose came loose from the spiral plastic.

The worst thing you can do with hoses, in my opinion, is to use one of those brushes... I think it wears them out, which of course, suppliers love.

There's not much to go wrong with tanks, they will accumulate mineral deposits over time, but a quick acid soak will fix that. (Vinegar usually, though there are folks that use citric acid quite successfully.)

My advice, just have a spare or two of things, and replace them when they no longer function well.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:00 am

The first time your insurance will pay for it, I would get a mask, headgear, a hose and filter(s). That way, you'll have a spare on hand.

Clean or replace filters whenever they become discolored. Repalce the other parts when they leak, just don't fit, or if anything starts growing on it.

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:00 am

I haven't used the mask you are currently using, but other masks with similar type of cushions last me quite a long while. The frames seldom wear out or break, but the head gear can stretch out over time. Washing it in hot water will often shrink it back some. I recently changed the cushions on our Resmed F20 masks (my wife and I both use one), and they were over a year old. They were still serviceable, but we were starting to get a few too many leaks. As stated earlier, hoses can develop problems over time and need to be replaced. I have replaced two because the end stretched out and they slid off the mask at night. I normally keep two spare mask cushions, hoses, and water chambers (one for each of us) on hand. I then obtain a new spare when I need to dispose of one. We don't have a lot of space to store unused items, so I keep the number of spares on hand low.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:24 am

You know those Nasal Pillows that we're supposed to replace every two weeks. My current original pair are now 4 months old.

And the Hose that should be replaced every 3 months, my original hose is now 20 moths old.

The Humidifier Tank that has a replacement schedule of every 6 months, it too is 20 months and looks new.

Had I followed the suggested replacement schedule, I'd have spent approximately $500 more over the last 20 months. There would also be a lot more plastic and rubber unnecessarily sitting in a land fill.

Buy your initial supplies, get a spare hose, humidifier, mask. The use your existing equipment until it actually breaks or wears out.

The suggested cleaning is also overkill and contributes to excessive wear.

My maintenance:
  • Wipe mask daily with baby wipe. (daily)
  • Dump, fill-rinse and dump, fill humidifier with tap water. (daily)
  • Wash mask, and humidifier tank in hot water and dawn. (every 2-3 weeks)
  • Hose, never clean.

zoran

Post by zoran » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:36 am

Rosepetal wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:38 pm
Thanks TropicalDiver, I will have a look at Amazon New Zealand.

The place where I purchased my CPAP and mask from sells the filters for $9 for 2 and shipping is $10 !!! with no discount for bulk buying.
Do a search on aliexpress for way cheaper prices everything cpap including filters

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?ca ... pap+filter

zonker

Post by zonker » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:43 am

Dog Slobber wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:24 am

My maintenance:
  • Wipe mask daily with baby wipe. (daily)
  • Dump, fill-rinse and dump, fill humidifier with tap water. (daily)
  • Wash mask, and humidifier tank in hot water and dawn. (every 2-3 weeks)
  • Hose, never clean.
in to back up what slobber says. the only difference being in my maintenance of the tank. i use distilled and wash the tank when i think of it or it seems to be getting funky.

come to think of it, i'm not really on any schedule. it MAY be getting time to wash my mask.

at any rate, the difference between my schedule and slobber's is trivial. what we are both aiming for is much less cleaning and replacing of various and sundry parts. i think the vocal majority on this forum are basically cheap like me.

just trying to save a buck.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:44 am

When AliExpress starts donating to the costs of upkeep for this forum then I might be more inclined to promote them more.
Out of respect to cpap.com....who totally pays the bills for this forum....how about we keep the direct links to the competition to a minimum please????
zoran wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:36 am
Do a search on aliexpress
This is your second one today where you included direct link and not just a mention of the alternative supplier.

Any more will be considered spam and the direct link will be removed.

Anyone with half a brain can do their own searches of any website for a price comparison.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

zonker

Post by zonker » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:48 am

Pugsy wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:44 am

This is your second one today where you included direct link and not just a mention of the alternative supplier.

Any more will be considered spam and the direct link will be removed.

Anyone with half a brain can do their own searches of any website for a price comparison.
thank you.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Rosepetal

Post by Rosepetal » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:01 pm

Thanks for your tips everyone. It's a relief to know that the parts will still work even if they are not replaced as often as the manufacturer says. That should save me quite a bit of money. I will look around for cheaper suppliers that will ship to New Zealand, I have to take into account the currency exchange rate too. Fisher and Paykel are a New Zealand company, so prices here may be cheaper than elsewhere.

I will be careful how I clean everything so I don't damage anything. I won't be cleaning the hose, just drying it by letting the CPAP run for a few minutes with the humidifier turned off.

And I feel that I can relax a little with the cleaning too :D Here is the cleaning schedule that I have worked out:

Daily

- Morning
1) empty and rinse the CPAP water container - leave to dry
2) run CPAP for a few minutes with humidity setting 0
3) reset humidity setting to 3

- Before bed
1) fill CPAP water container with distilled water
2) inspect mask, check diffuser holes and vents are clear
3) put lip balm on lips (I found my lips were drying out with the full face mask)

- Before putting mask on
1) let the machine run for a few minutes before putting mask on
2) use ramp setting

Sundays

1) Wash headstraps - shampoo, rinse under tap
2) Wipe mask seal with damp cloth
3) Check machine filter, flick dust off, don't wash
4) Wipe machine inside and out - unplug first
5) Wash humidifier outlet seal, rinse twice
6) Wash humidifier and silicone lid, rinse twice
7) Dust bedside table

1st of the month

1) Wash mask seal with warm soapy water. Rinse twice
2) Clean mask frame and parts thoroughly with warm soapy water.
Use toothbrush for crevices and air-holes. Rinse twice

Phew, it is as complex as my care schedule for my aquarium :lol:

danwilly

Post by danwilly » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:19 pm

I put the water container in the dishwasher on occasion. Comes out okay. Separate the lid and bottom first.