Janknitz wrote: ↑Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:01 pm
Hmmm, If an Advantage plan pays $80 a month toward the rental of a machine over 5 years that's $4,800 for a machine I can buy for $700 (and they can buy outright even cheaper). There's no way they would sign on to that. I wonder if it is the fact that they are really the DME and DME like Crapria is only the supplier. So in addition to the capitated rate Medicare pays the Advantage plan each month, Kaiser's getting to keep your "rental" co-pay??? Sweet deal for them.
I chose a half assed HMO kind of Medicare Advantage plan last fall...no monthly premium and my copays for outpatient stuff were less and no need to wait for procedures (main reason I switch). Not a real HMO but a lot in in network stuff restrictions that I discovered after the fact....like Nationwide Medical Insurance where I could get Bleep mask supplies is out of network...no coverage.
The dental coverage...sucks.
Come this fall I may research for a different plan.
It isn't its own DME though like Kaiser....and I just don't see how or why these advantage plans have gone to perpetual rental for this stuff when they aren't the DME. Makes no business sense to me. DMEs love them though....who wouldn't.
The up side though...if you rent it you don't own it and if it craps out they have to take care of it....no more of this "you haven't had it 5 years and you are SOL on the warranty" crap.
I have not had a chance (nor do I want to do all the work) to research how all the advantage plans might handle DME stuff.
And since what is offered in my area might not be the same thing even in other parts of Missouri much less other states....all I can do is tell people to go over that Evidence of Coverage with a magnifying glass so that there are no ugly surprises.
For sure can't rely on the DME to know for sure...impossible to know what every plan out there might do or not do in general.
They do good to get it right on what straight Medicare will do.
In general though I am happy with the advantage plans....they suit my particular needs but then I am basically healthy besides the arthritis stuff and I have saved a lot of money over the years.
I look at advantage plans as sort of self insuring... I can either maybe pay 20% if I have something I have to have done or I can for sure pay the regular supplement premium (which ain't cheap) to pay that 20 % for me. This year I have spent less than $350 total and the bulk of that was for the copay for the RFA procedure I had done on my back in January. My meds are included and cost me $3 a month with the plan.
My only real hurdle right now is the Bleep ports since Nationwide is out of network. So now I am going to put my local DME's feet to the fire and try to force them to supply it. Haven't had time to start that war yet but I will.
Did you see that next year the traditional supplements (MediGap plans) for Medicare won't be able to pay the Part B deductible for people??
I think I saw that somewhere but didn't dig deep.
https://www.elderlawanswers.com/congres ... ible-15094
https://www.senior65.com/medicare/artic ... ns-c-and-f
I may have to RISE but I refuse to SHINE.