OSA in the family?
OSA in the family?
While chatting last night, several people commented that family members could have had undiagnosed OSA. I think it is interesting that once I knew about apnea I could look back at my parents (both deceased) and see that they very likely had apnea too.
Someone else commented (sorry, I cannot remember who said it) that apnea is not genetic. I too doubt that apnea has a specific gene. However, it does seem that physical characteristics of the muscles and soft tissues in the airway could be similar in families.
I know that apnea treatment is not new, just new to me. At the same time, even my doctors are saying that they have just begun to realize how seriously apnea affects health. It has been said repeatedly that people on this board know more about apnea than the professionals in the field. That could inspire young people, our children perhaps, to look for careers in research and development of OSA treatment.
I am proud to be part of a group of people who are what I think of as pioneers of OSA who are struggling to find a better way to treat apnea. I would like to think that as time goes by and more and more people are diagnosed and start treatment that the options available will increase and improve in nature so that in time treating apnea will be easier and better.
I would like to hear from other people if they have recognized the symptoms and results of apnea in family members. Would anyone care to comment on this?
Someone else commented (sorry, I cannot remember who said it) that apnea is not genetic. I too doubt that apnea has a specific gene. However, it does seem that physical characteristics of the muscles and soft tissues in the airway could be similar in families.
I know that apnea treatment is not new, just new to me. At the same time, even my doctors are saying that they have just begun to realize how seriously apnea affects health. It has been said repeatedly that people on this board know more about apnea than the professionals in the field. That could inspire young people, our children perhaps, to look for careers in research and development of OSA treatment.
I am proud to be part of a group of people who are what I think of as pioneers of OSA who are struggling to find a better way to treat apnea. I would like to think that as time goes by and more and more people are diagnosed and start treatment that the options available will increase and improve in nature so that in time treating apnea will be easier and better.
I would like to hear from other people if they have recognized the symptoms and results of apnea in family members. Would anyone care to comment on this?
_________________
| Machine: DreamStation BiPAP® Auto Machine |
| Mask: AirFit™ P10 For Her Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Headgear |
| Humidifier: DreamStation Heated Humidifier |
Last edited by Catnapper on Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My dad... he's probably had it for 50 years now. He's currently got heart and kidney problems. He's diabetic in renal failure with a pacemaker/defibrilator. My mom says that he stops breathing in his sleep... plus the nurses would freak out when he went in for open heart surgery (also has congestive heart failure). His heart loses about 3 beats a day. He's 73.
-
Guest
My dad. Though he will not go for a sleep study. For as long as I can remember he has been a tremendous snorer and I heard/hear the telltale gasp for air. He is in good health at 65. Also, one of my cousins (first) has been diagnosed with apnea, but as of yet has not begun cpap. While there is not proof (yet) that apnea itself is genetic, I personally think that throat structure can lead to apnea and that is genetic, i.e. physical traits that make one prone to apnea.
TM
TM
genetic or not
I do agree that the physical characteristics we have are inherited from our genetic makeup. My point was that there is not a specific gene that causes apnea. Maybe I am making too fine a distinction. I suppose it could be said that there is a family tendency to have the physical components that can lead to having apnea.
I started the thread to see if those of us who have apnea also see it in our families. I would bet there are some who have no other family members who show any signs of apnea.
Just curious - no big deal.
I started the thread to see if those of us who have apnea also see it in our families. I would bet there are some who have no other family members who show any signs of apnea.
Just curious - no big deal.
_________________
| Machine: DreamStation BiPAP® Auto Machine |
| Mask: AirFit™ P10 For Her Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Headgear |
| Humidifier: DreamStation Heated Humidifier |
I suffer from OSA so does my younger sister. I'm sure my father also suffered from OSA but he is deceased now so I will never know for sure. He like my sister & I would snore loudly gasp for breathe in his sleep & fall asleep as soon as he sat in his chair in the living room. We all have the same facial structure & also suffer from allergies .
- neversleeps
- Posts: 1141
- Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:06 pm
- Location: Minnesota
I think "yet" is the operative word. Here are a couple articles indicating a genetic factor is likely.Anonymous wrote:While there is not proof (yet) that apnea itself is genetic
This is from the Medical College of Wisconsin.
Genetic Association with Obstructive Sleep Apnea Syndrome
This is from Case Western Reserve University.Genetic Association
A genetic contribution to the sleep apnea is likely. The risk of sleep disordered breathing is much higher in family groups than unrelated individuals. Increased risk may be traced to familial facial form, soft tissue, and neurologic factors.
Abnormalities in bone structure of the face may rarely occur in "named" syndromes. More commonly, bone abnormalities are associated with less development of facial bones. Obesity, sex, and race may also affect obstructive sleep apnea.
No gene for sleep apnea is known yet. Different types of genes may increase the risk of obstructive sleep apnea.
Possible genetic link between sleep apnea and obesity discovered
Then there's the genetic link between sleep apnea and Alzheimer's Disease.The genome scans revealed that there was a particular genetic area-one involved in metabolic processes-that showed a significant association with both sleep apnea and body weight. This finding suggests that there may be one or more genes relevant to both functions, possibly influencing metabolic rate and breathing control.
Alzheimer's risk factor tied to apnea
Long known as a risk factor for Alzheimer's disease and cardiovascular disease, the presence of the protein has recently been implicated as a risk factor for developing sleep apnea, according to a study published in the current issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association.
"Having the marker, apolipoprotein E e4 (APOE e4), translates into about a twofold increase in risk for having sleep apnea," said one of the study's authors, Dr. Emmanuel Mignot, director of the Center for Narcolepsy at Stanford University School of Medicine in California.
Though they know APOE e4 can increase the risk of heart disease and Alzheimer's, and now sleep apnea, scientists still don't understand exactly how this protein works, said Mignot.
Mignot said this study shows how important it is for doctors to look at the whole body rather than just one organ. "Everything is connected," he said. "Our theory is that for some people, sleep apnea might be the first sign of a problem in their brain that could manifest later as Alzheimer's disease."
Thanks so much for that research. Very interesting quotes.
I now wonder if OSA is controlled by therapy will that also slow the progression of Alzheimer's and cardiovascular disease.
One can only hope!
I now wonder if OSA is controlled by therapy will that also slow the progression of Alzheimer's and cardiovascular disease.
One can only hope!
_________________
| Machine: DreamStation BiPAP® Auto Machine |
| Mask: AirFit™ P10 For Her Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Headgear |
| Humidifier: DreamStation Heated Humidifier |
My father died at 50 from a massive heart attack (not the first MI). Most likely had apnea from childhood recollections.
My brother had tonsils and adnoids out as a youngster and still snores like a freight train. Also sleeps, then gets up for a couple hours and sleeps again.
My opinion on brother. Bad apnea but he won't get treated.
Don't think sisters have issues but they are genetically more similar to my mother than father (body build etc).
Do I think it runs in families YES YES YES
My brother had tonsils and adnoids out as a youngster and still snores like a freight train. Also sleeps, then gets up for a couple hours and sleeps again.
My opinion on brother. Bad apnea but he won't get treated.
Don't think sisters have issues but they are genetically more similar to my mother than father (body build etc).
Do I think it runs in families YES YES YES
My grandfather was never diagnosed with apnea and everyone is still insistent that was not what killed him when he "mysteriously" fell asleep at the wheel of his car in the middle of the day. I have a lot of childhood memories of that grandpa snoring away in a chair.
I suspect both my parents have apnea, but they refuse to check into it.
I think there is a definite possibility that certain genetically driven throat/tongue (etc) structure can create a tendency for apnea to occur. It would be pretty oblivious to ignore that probability.
I just hope to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather did, instead of screaming like his passengers........
(poetic license...but making a point)
I suspect both my parents have apnea, but they refuse to check into it.
I think there is a definite possibility that certain genetically driven throat/tongue (etc) structure can create a tendency for apnea to occur. It would be pretty oblivious to ignore that probability.
I just hope to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather did, instead of screaming like his passengers........
(poetic license...but making a point)
Remember:
What you read above is only one data point based on one person's opinion.
I am not a doctor, nor do I even play one on TV.
Your mileage may vary.
Follow ANY advice or opinions at your own risk.
Not everything you read is true.
What you read above is only one data point based on one person's opinion.
I am not a doctor, nor do I even play one on TV.
Your mileage may vary.
Follow ANY advice or opinions at your own risk.
Not everything you read is true.
My Mother (passed away in 2002 at 86) was a classic case of undiagnosed slepp apnea.
Have told funny stories here before about how loud her snoring could get. She became a classic dementia case in her 80s - by the time she passed away she could no longer remember who most people were including me.
I have been wondering ever since, if her obvious (today) OSA was in any way a contributor to her losing her memory. Beyond this increasing loss of memory she was quite sharp & bright. I know dementia & alzhiemers are widely known of but I keep thinking it would be dumb to not think there is an added contributor in OSA.
To me it is one of these things where in a few years when OSA effects are better understood, some bright researcher will step forward and outline a direct link between many cases of dementia & damage done by OSA.
DSM
Have told funny stories here before about how loud her snoring could get. She became a classic dementia case in her 80s - by the time she passed away she could no longer remember who most people were including me.
I have been wondering ever since, if her obvious (today) OSA was in any way a contributor to her losing her memory. Beyond this increasing loss of memory she was quite sharp & bright. I know dementia & alzhiemers are widely known of but I keep thinking it would be dumb to not think there is an added contributor in OSA.
To me it is one of these things where in a few years when OSA effects are better understood, some bright researcher will step forward and outline a direct link between many cases of dementia & damage done by OSA.
DSM
xPAP and Quattro std mask (plus a pad-a-cheek anti-leak strap)
Since other people have answered, I suppose I should too.
My son has recently started CPAP, and so has my sister's son. I feel pretty sure my daughter could have apnea, but she is resisting being tested.
My mom who died in 2000 snored and gasped loudly. She had senile dementia at the end and had no idea who I was although she seemed to like me. Let me tell you, that part about dementia is what I don't want to have. Senile dementia is part of the Alzheimer's spectrum. My dad died around the age of 59, a victim of stroke and diabetes. Looks like I could be part of an extended family of people who have apnea. No doubt there are others who have sleep habits I don't know. I live far away from the rest of my family.
I hope that by treating the apnea I can repair some damage or at least keep what is wrong from getting worse.
That is enough to keep me awake worrying!
My son has recently started CPAP, and so has my sister's son. I feel pretty sure my daughter could have apnea, but she is resisting being tested.
My mom who died in 2000 snored and gasped loudly. She had senile dementia at the end and had no idea who I was although she seemed to like me. Let me tell you, that part about dementia is what I don't want to have. Senile dementia is part of the Alzheimer's spectrum. My dad died around the age of 59, a victim of stroke and diabetes. Looks like I could be part of an extended family of people who have apnea. No doubt there are others who have sleep habits I don't know. I live far away from the rest of my family.
I hope that by treating the apnea I can repair some damage or at least keep what is wrong from getting worse.
That is enough to keep me awake worrying!
_________________
| Machine: DreamStation BiPAP® Auto Machine |
| Mask: AirFit™ P10 For Her Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Headgear |
| Humidifier: DreamStation Heated Humidifier |
-
Guest
Sleep Apnea in Families
My father died nearly 30 years ago of cancer, but he snored and snorted so I'm sure he had OSA. Was known for being "sleepyheaded". Also had REM sleep disorder - he sleepwalked and acted out his dreams and it was pretty scarey stuff sometimes. To my knowledge, my two other siblings got skipped, although one is extremely sleepyheaded.
_________________
| Mask: TAP PAP Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Improved Stability Mouthpiece |
| Humidifier: S9™ Series H5i™ Heated Humidifier with Climate Control |
| Additional Comments: Bleep/DreamPort for full nights, Tap Pap for shorter sessions |







