Funtioning Alcoholic.....
-
freetimecreations
- Posts: 145
- Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 9:02 pm
- Location: Utah, USA
Re: Funtioning Alcoholic.....
You ask if CPAP therapy will help you with your vices, I believe it will because with proper CPAP therapy you will wake up rested and have a better day even if it is an alcohol induced sleep. With time you may find that you don't need to drink or vape as much because your day is going a lot better without the Sleep Apnea symptoms such as, headaches, irritability, sleepiness.
_________________
| Mask: ResMed AirFit™ F20 Full Face CPAP Mask with Headgear |
| Additional Comments: Pressure 8.2cm-14.6cm, EPR 1, Humidity Auto, Contec CMS50F |
Re: Funtioning Alcoholic.....
Based on your spelling in the title, maybe you are not "funtioning" (sic) that well.
_________________
| Machine: DreamStation Auto CPAP Machine |
| Mask: AirFit™ P10 Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Headgear |
| Humidifier: DreamStation Heated Humidifier |
| Additional Comments: AutoPAP 16-20, Ultimate Chin Strap http://sleepapneasolutionsinc.com/ |
- Okie bipap
- Posts: 3567
- Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:14 pm
- Location: Central Oklahoma
Re: Funtioning Alcoholic.....
During the 60s and 70s, the military made a lot of alcoholics. Once you became eligible to join the club, you were encouraged to join and support the club system. Failure to do could, and often did, result in a lower rating on your annual evaluation. They finally began to realize that alcohol was creating too many problems and they finally quit encouraging so much drinking. When I retired from the Air Force in 1983, I was still a member of the club, but used it only for check cashing and occasional dining.greatunclebill wrote:I've been thinking about this too. in the usaf i had a boss that i worked with at 2 different bases. we were also neighbors and drinking buddies. off duty he was always drunk and always had a beer. one drink of my 151 rum put him out like a light. the thing is, he was always ok at work. i could never figure it out until a friend told me i had never seen him sober. i have a name for it now: functioning alcoholic. take the beer out of his hand and he appeared the same every hour of the day, intoxicated. when guys hit reverse tolerance like that a beer gets them as drunk as a whole case. after they dry out, one beer makes them as drunk as they ever were. Father dano, if you're not there yet, or if you are, please get help.
_________________
| Machine: AirCurve™ 10 VAuto BiLevel Machine with HumidAir™ Heated Humidifier |
| Mask: Evora Full Face Mask - Fitpack |
| Additional Comments: IPAP 20-25, ps 4, OSCAR software |
Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.
- chunkyfrog
- Posts: 34544
- Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:10 pm
- Location: Nowhere special--this year in particular.
Re: Funtioning Alcoholic.....
The bullfrog had quit smoking before joining the Air Force,
but the "smoke em if you got them" (or no break at all)
pushed him back on the cigarettes--for several years.
Thank you, USAF!
but the "smoke em if you got them" (or no break at all)
pushed him back on the cigarettes--for several years.
Thank you, USAF!
_________________
| Mask: AirFit™ P10 For Her Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Headgear |
| Additional Comments: Airsense 10 Autoset for Her |
- greatunclebill
- Posts: 1503
- Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:48 pm
- Location: L.A. (lower alabama)
Re: Funtioning Alcoholic.....
I wasn't a club person. I only showed up for things that i absolutely had to go to. One time when i was an E-7 the hospital administrator got right up in my face about buying a ticket to the hospital christmas party, so i bought a ticket. but then i didn't go and as luck would have it, i won the big door prize, so everybody knew i wasn't there. Don't know what i missed out on, don't care. LOL..... I retired in '90.Okie bipap wrote:
During the 60s and 70s, the military made a lot of alcoholics. Once you became eligible to join the club, you were encouraged to join and support the club system. Failure to do could, and often did, result in a lower rating on your annual evaluation. They finally began to realize that alcohol was creating too many problems and they finally quit encouraging so much drinking. When I retired from the Air Force in 1983, I was still a member of the club, but used it only for check cashing and occasional dining.
_________________
| Mask: Quattro™ FX Full Face CPAP Mask with Headgear |
| Additional Comments: myAir, OSCAR. cms-50D+. airsense 10 auto & (2009) remstar plus m series backups |
First diagnosed 1990
please don't ask me to try nasal. i'm a full face person.
the avatar is Rocco, my Lhasa Apso. Number one "Bama fan. 18 championships and counting.
Life member VFW Post 4328 Alabama
MSgt USAF (E-7) medic Retired 1968-1990
please don't ask me to try nasal. i'm a full face person.
the avatar is Rocco, my Lhasa Apso. Number one "Bama fan. 18 championships and counting.
Life member VFW Post 4328 Alabama
MSgt USAF (E-7) medic Retired 1968-1990
Re: Funtioning Alcoholic.....
During my brief foray into terrible insomnia I tried having 1 shot and doing yoga before bed. It never helped but it make me dehydrated. The cpap kind of naturally dries out your mouth (causes cavities) you can use a moisturizing mouth rinse, or just drink more water.
Machine: Resmed Airsense 11 CPAP Elite
Mask: Resmed Airfit P10
Mask: Resmed Airfit P10
Re: Funtioning Alcoholic.....
A couple of Hershey Kissed, get the juices flowing, lasts 3 hours if you don't mouthbreath. Ice water too.nawchem wrote:During my brief foray into terrible insomnia I tried having 1 shot and doing yoga before bed. It never helped but it make me dehydrated. The cpap kind of naturally dries out your mouth (causes cavities) you can use a moisturizing mouth rinse, or just drink more water.
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!
"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire
"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire
Re: Funtioning Alcoholic.....
goofproof I'm a naive woman. Are you having me on? I googled hershey kissed nothing came up. Did you mean kisses? (I salivate at chocolate thoughts).
Machine: Resmed Airsense 11 CPAP Elite
Mask: Resmed Airfit P10
Mask: Resmed Airfit P10
- Sheriff Buford
- Posts: 4111
- Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:01 am
- Location: Kingwood, Texas
Re: Funtioning Alcoholic.....
Ma'am: you gotta watch out for Goof!.....nawchem wrote:goofproof I'm a naive woman. Are you having me on? I googled hershey kissed nothing came up. Did you mean kisses? (I salivate at chocolate thoughts).
Sheriff
_________________
| Machine: AirSense 11 Autoset |
| Mask: Mirage Quattro™ Full Face CPAP Mask with Headgear |
- ChicagoGranny
- Posts: 15534
- Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:43 pm
- Location: USA
Re: Funtioning Alcoholic.....
Goofproof is a drive-by typo.nawchem wrote:goofproof I'm a naive woman. Are you having me on? I googled hershey kissed nothing came up. Did you mean kisses? (I salivate at chocolate thoughts).
-
fatherdano
- Posts: 4
- Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:10 am
Re: Funtioning Alcoholic.....
wow.....
thanks for all advice.
saw my ENT yesterday as a follow up to my deviated septum surgery last May. Explained to him my issues on waking up gasping with touches of anxiety causing me to stay awake the remainder of the night(worst when congested from cold, allergies etc). He prescribed prednisone and a nasal spray and a home sleep study.
Is the home sleep study as effective as the in-clinic?
Also curious if there are any runners here? I've run about a dozen 1/2 marathons and 3 full marathons over the past ten years(plantar fasciitis issues have hindered me for about a year and a half) hence the wait gain. and if so how has the cpap made a difference for you?
and nice catch on my spelling lol......
thanks for all advice.
saw my ENT yesterday as a follow up to my deviated septum surgery last May. Explained to him my issues on waking up gasping with touches of anxiety causing me to stay awake the remainder of the night(worst when congested from cold, allergies etc). He prescribed prednisone and a nasal spray and a home sleep study.
Is the home sleep study as effective as the in-clinic?
Also curious if there are any runners here? I've run about a dozen 1/2 marathons and 3 full marathons over the past ten years(plantar fasciitis issues have hindered me for about a year and a half) hence the wait gain. and if so how has the cpap made a difference for you?
and nice catch on my spelling lol......
- greatunclebill
- Posts: 1503
- Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:48 pm
- Location: L.A. (lower alabama)
Re: Funtioning Alcoholic.....
Oh, no. The spelling police are in the building. What is, "are you having me on", anyways?nawchem wrote:goofproof I'm a naive woman. Are you having me on? I googled hershey kissed nothing came up. Did you mean kisses? (I salivate at chocolate thoughts).
_________________
| Mask: Quattro™ FX Full Face CPAP Mask with Headgear |
| Additional Comments: myAir, OSCAR. cms-50D+. airsense 10 auto & (2009) remstar plus m series backups |
First diagnosed 1990
please don't ask me to try nasal. i'm a full face person.
the avatar is Rocco, my Lhasa Apso. Number one "Bama fan. 18 championships and counting.
Life member VFW Post 4328 Alabama
MSgt USAF (E-7) medic Retired 1968-1990
please don't ask me to try nasal. i'm a full face person.
the avatar is Rocco, my Lhasa Apso. Number one "Bama fan. 18 championships and counting.
Life member VFW Post 4328 Alabama
MSgt USAF (E-7) medic Retired 1968-1990
Re: Funtioning Alcoholic.....
If you can't figure out what I mean, don't bother, you probably can't figure out how to get the foil off. Jimnawchem wrote:goofproof I'm a naive woman. Are you having me on? I googled hershey kissed nothing came up. Did you mean kisses? (I salivate at chocolate thoughts).
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!
"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire
"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire
-
Arlene1963
- Posts: 548
- Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:43 am
Re: Funtioning Alcoholic.....
I'm not a marathon runner, or even half marathon runner, but do run "recreationally" ... usually 5km a day, except this winter which has been brutal and the treadmill just doesn't compare with being out on the road.fatherdano wrote: Also curious if there are any runners here? I've run about a dozen 1/2 marathons and 3 full marathons over the past ten years(plantar fasciitis issues have hindered me for about a year and a half) hence the wait gain. and if so how has the cpap made a difference for you?
Anyway, to answer your question, for me using CPAP made a big difference to my fitness level. Oddly enough I thought I was fit prior to using CPAP but had no idea the strain the apnea was putting on my cardiovascular system. Within a few weeks of using CPAP all night, every night, I noticed an improvement in my endurance levels (able to exercise for much longer and just not feel tired) and performance, running quite a bit faster than before CPAP.
My resting heart rate improved a lot and my pulse rate comes down much faster after vigorous exercise. My weight is fairly stable.
- ChicagoGranny
- Posts: 15534
- Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:43 pm
- Location: USA
Re: Funtioning Alcoholic.....
Here is the deal with the home sleep study. If it says you have sleep apnea, then you have it. If it says you don't have sleep apnea, you might still have it and would need an in-lab study to diagnose it. In other words, false positives are uncommon, false negatives happen occasionally. But, my guess is your case is so obvious that it will show up clearly on a home test.fatherdano wrote:Is the home sleep study as effective as the in-clinic?
Hmmm. What't the prednisone for? Are you aware that a common side effect of prednisone is gawd awful insomnia?fatherdano wrote:He prescribed prednisone and a nasal spray and a home sleep study.
I should put Gramps on here. It made all the difference in the world for him - endurance levels and speed. He wonders why he didn't drop dead from a heart attack before starting to use CPAP.fatherdano wrote:Also curious if there are any runners here? I've run about a dozen 1/2 marathons and 3 full marathons over the past ten years(plantar fasciitis issues have hindered me for about a year and a half) hence the wait gain. and if so how has the cpap made a difference for you?



