How do nasal masks compare to pillows?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
stratapastor

How do nasal masks compare to pillows?

Post by stratapastor » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:24 pm

I was quite excited to get a swift fx nasal pillow... however, after several attempts, it's just not working. I have two major complaints about the pillows. 1 is that they seem to make my nose quite sore. After about 4 hours I end up going back to the full face mask. 2. It seems that the pressure is just on the verge of pushing air down my esophagus... I've not noticed any gas but it's a little harder to get used to than the balance of air at both the mouth and the nose. I should also note that I loosened the mask as loose as I could while keeping it on my face and then adjusted for a seal with the least amount of pressure possible.

I'm considering getting the nano cushion which fits the same head gear... but I don't know how much nose contact the nasal mask makes OR if having a mustache will interfere with the seal... i've been amazed that my full face seems to seal over the beard in spite of being a little larger than I should probably be using.

So... 1. did pillows make your nose sore? 2. do you think a nasal would work in my situation?

It's not the end of the world but since i'm 100% out of pocket i'd like to avoid a $50 mistake.

Drowsy Dancer

Re: How do nasal masks compare to pillows?

Post by Drowsy Dancer » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:38 pm

How tightly do you have the pillows strapped to your nose? I found I didn't need to have mine as tight as I might think.

How we squander our hours of pain. -- Rilke

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:39 pm

If the FF mask seems to be working for you why the need to change?

jootee

Post by jootee » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:58 pm

Hey I can totally relate! I have the same nasal pillows as you do and a full mask. I prefer to use the pillows since the whole experience is "lighter" but some nights they just don't cut it and I will switch over to my full face mask. I really like having the option of switching between the two. I guess it keeps the relationship from getting stale ya know I just bought the nano mouth switch over too and am excited on bringing a third partner into the relationship haha. I see my cpap relationship being long and successful so I don't want to get bored!!!! In all serious tho ,This therapy has been a life changing event for me, I feel so much better and keep seeing daily improvements and its only been 3 weeks for me.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:00 pm

Can you sleep with a nasal interface and not breathe or leak air through your mouth? If you leak from the mouth, pressure is lost and the CPAP therapy might not be effective.

If you can't keep your lips sealed while sleeping, full face masks are made for you. I use one and it works well for me.
"It's not the number of breaths we take, it's the number of moments that take our breath away."

jzap

Post by jzap » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:13 pm

Good luck.

Last edited by jzap on Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JZAP
SW Ohio

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:41 pm

I don't really get this whole lips tongue folderol.

I can use nasal pillows cranked up to 15cm, open my mouth, stick my tongue out, and no air escapes, because, presumably, I have a functional epiglottis.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Sleep2Die4

Post by Sleep2Die4 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:52 pm

It's bullshit.

This is one of the worst descriptions -
by sealing your tongue against the roof of your mouth and sucking out some air from above the tongue to create a suction cup effect will effectively separate the airway from your mouth.
Of course if you are highly susceptible to the power of suggestion, the placebo effect can work wonders.

archangle

Post by archangle » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:04 pm

One suggestion is Lanisnoh HPA lanolin, which is used for nursing mothers to put on their nipples. Put just a dab on the nose.

I found the Swift FX was a little rough on my nose to start with. I'd get sore. I'd wear it for part of some nights, then switch back to my nasal mask. I'd use the nasal mask all night long for some nights. Once I got adjusted, the swift FX is the most comfortable mask I've ever used.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

stratapastor

Post by stratapastor » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:32 pm

Drowsy Dancer wrote:How tightly do you have the pillows strapped to your nose? I found I didn't need to have mine as tight as I might think.
as lightly as possible... I think part of it is the material pulling at my skin / stache.

stratapastor

Post by stratapastor » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:33 pm

LSAT wrote:If the FF mask seems to be working for you why the need to change?
I tend to lie more on my face and the ff mask is a trick to get comfortable with... and sometimes I wake up with a sore cheek if I roll over on it.

stratapastor

Post by stratapastor » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:36 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:Can you sleep with a nasal interface and not breathe or leak air through your mouth? If you leak from the mouth, pressure is lost and the CPAP therapy might not be effective.

If you can't keep your lips sealed while sleeping, full face masks are made for you. I use one and it works well for me.
I can keep my mouth shut while sleeping... though that might be the only time. I was really just thinking that it might be more comfortable when I sleep on my face.

Captain_Midnight

Post by Captain_Midnight » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:53 pm

1. did pillows make your nose sore? 2. do you think a nasal would work in my situation?

1. Yes, I found that I cannot use pillows, it's too painful in my case.

2. Can't say, of course. I will tell you that I use the nasal mask with good success. I have a full-face mask (which I consider much less comfortable, maybe just me); and, I use it only on those rare occasions that I have a bad cold, and could not breath through my nasal passages.

Good luck deciding.

jzap

Post by jzap » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:05 pm

Sleep2Die4 wrote:
It's bullshit.

This is one of the worst descriptions -
by sealing your tongue against the roof of your mouth and sucking out some air from above the tongue to create a suction cup effect will effectively separate the airway from your mouth.
Of course if you are highly susceptible to the power of suggestion, the placebo effect can work wonders.
I was trying to be helpful by conveying some information that has been helpful to me. I have edited my post above to remove the "folderol" and "bullshit".

To the forum, I say, "Goodbye."

SW Ohio

stratapastor

Post by stratapastor » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:40 pm

When will people learn that being right doesn't give you permission to be a jerk. There are some people I love in this forum but the jerks are given far to much freedom.