What do you suppose they will charge me?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
PST

What do you suppose they will charge me?

Post by PST » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:57 pm

I'm having some surgery tomorrow and expect to be kept overnight. I've been told to bring my mask and hose but leave the blower at home. I don't love this, but for one night I'm not going to make a fuss -- especially since I doubt it would do any good. I'll be too narcotized to put up a fight. I wii bet, though, that the nominal charge (before insurance discount) for using the hospital's CPAP will be more than the reasonable price of a new CPAP. Anyone know from experience what the bill will be? Two years ago, when I was allowed to use my own, the charge for inspecting it and approving it was $700, if I recall correctly. This will probably be more.

Janknitz

Re: What do you suppose they will charge me?

Post by Janknitz » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:04 pm

We ought to have a pool with a prize for the person who comes closest.
And, for bonus points, how much the hospital actually gets paid.

And, another pool to see if they even manage to get the machine to you before the night is over.

Good luck, I hope your surgery goes well. If it was me, I'd have my support person bring the machine anyway--you never know, they might show up with something ridiculous.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

StuUnderPressure

Post by StuUnderPressure » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:12 pm

Janknitz wrote:We ought to have a pool with a prize for the person who comes closest.
And, for bonus points, how much the hospital actually gets paid.
$840 / $319
Janknitz wrote:And, another pool to see if they even manage to get the machine to you before the night is over.
Oh, Mr PST, your XPAP has been in the room for X Hours now.
We were just waiting for you to wake up to tell us how to use it.
Janknitz wrote:If it was me, I'd have my support person bring the machine anyway
I would go even 1 step further, I would use MY OWN UNinspected machine, BEFORE they even have a chance to bring in theirs.

SD Card Formatter 5.0.2 https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/format ... index.html

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:17 pm

Yes, I would have my own; and proceed to use it until they provide an acceptable substitute.

ems

Post by ems » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:19 pm

I don't have an answer to your question, but was thinking that you might call the billing department at the hospital. They may actually surprise you and have an answer. Your insurance company might give you an idea what is charged also... at least a rough idea and what percentage they will pay.

I hope the surgery goes well and you have a speedy recovery!

I just read Stu's post. I agree with the last sentence and would do the same.
If only the folks with sawdust for brains were as sweet and obliging and innocent as The Scarecrow! ~a friend~

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:23 pm

I won't even hazard a guess.
When I had my neck surgery I had a $1,700 charge for one special screw that was used in my little plate in my neck.
And that was back in 2001...prices have gone no where but up since then.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:10 pm

Forgot my entry:

Amount charged: $990
Amount insurance will pay: $35
Time they will finally get you set up: 2 a.m. (everything happens in hospitals at 2 a.m. When I gave birth to my daughter, the call lights were not working in my hospital room. I had FINALLY gotten to sleep for the first time in 48 hours when maintenance guys showed up at 2 a.m. to fix the call light. UGH!).
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

Olivia

Post by Olivia » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:57 pm

I have had two recent surgeries and used my own cpap both times. The first time, engineering came and checked out the cord and respiratory came up to make sure I knew what I was doing and I had to sign a waiver. The second time, no one did anything and I just hooked it up and went to sleep. You should make a call to patient affairs at the hospital and request assistance with this issue.

Stormynights

Post by Stormynights » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:11 pm

I never mentioned mine at all. My daughter set it up for me and I just put on my mask and breathed. Other than having to request more water for my humidifier I never mentioned it at all.

Lambeau

Post by Lambeau » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:54 pm

PST wrote:I'm having some surgery tomorrow and expect to be kept overnight. I've been told to bring my mask and hose but leave the blower at home. I don't love this, but for one night I'm not going to make a fuss -- especially since I doubt it would do any good. I'll be too narcotized to put up a fight. I wii bet, though, that the nominal charge (before insurance discount) for using the hospital's CPAP will be more than the reasonable price of a new CPAP. Anyone know from experience what the bill will be? Two years ago, when I was allowed to use my own, the charge for inspecting it and approving it was $700, if I recall correctly. This will probably be more.
I had a coronary stent put into a heart artery two months after I got my new BiPap machine. That was done on July 29, 2013, just 5 months ago. When consulting my cardiologist I told him I was on BiPap therapy, and what should I do for the overnight stay after the procedure in the Minneapolis Heart Institute at Abbott Hospital. He told me to bring it all with me when admitted for the procedure, but the hospital would provide the distilled water for it....no charge.

So I was not charged anything for 'renting a blower', as I used my own equipment. I have no idea of what the cost was for the whole surgery, anesthesiologist, surgeon, or hospital bill, as the only thing I saw at all was a bill for $150 for the hospital deductible, and the $15 co-pay for the surgeon. I have damned good health insurance with my Medicare Advantage plan.

idamtnboy

Post by idamtnboy » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:56 pm

Pugsy wrote:When I had my neck surgery I had a $1,700 charge for one special screw that was used in my little plate in my neck.
Talk about getting screwed!!!!

Oops, bad joke!

hyperlexis

Post by hyperlexis » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:22 pm

I wouldn't take a darned thing in, or take a darned thing out -- other than myself.

Hospitals are crawling in pathogens and I would never, ever bring in my old mask or machine that I planned to use later at home.

Far better to let the respiratory therapy people supply you with a nice clean, new disposable mask and tubing, and a sanitized cpap machine in-house.

Just use it and leave it.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:50 am

PST wrote:I'll be too narcotized to put up a fight.
Gonna be a lot of relaxed collapsed tissue in the airway. All the more reason, imho, to do what some others have suggested and bring your machine, mask, hose, humidifier, and a little bottle of distilled water -- along with a savvy, gutsy relative or friend who will hook you up at the first opportunity if the hospital hasn't already done it with their own machine.
PST wrote:Two years ago, when I was allowed to use my own, the charge for inspecting it and approving it was $700, if I recall correctly.
Good grief!
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

49er

Post by 49er » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:56 am

Best of luck regarding your surgery PST.

49er

cflame1

Post by cflame1 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:08 am

When I had surgery earlier this year, they had me bring mine with me. Not sure what they did with it when I was out, but it was there in pre-op and post-op. I didn't take it out of it's case until I got to my room (and they hadn't taken it out). Distilled was provided. Nurse set it up for me with my direction.