OT Nasal Cannula Pad A Cheek Amazing

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Stormynights

OT Nasal Cannula Pad A Cheek Amazing

Post by Stormynights » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:57 pm

My nose is so sore from my nasal cannula that I took it off. My nose has to have a rest before bedtime. Does anyone have any suggestions for my nose and ears.

Last edited by Stormynights on Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lastlib

Re: OT Nasal Cannula

Post by lastlib » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:30 pm

There has to be a better solution than taking your nose off. I cannot even get my nose loose.

herefishy

Post by herefishy » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:43 pm

Lansinoh?

msla

Post by msla » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:56 am

I have no experience with this but could you put a small piece of moleskin where the tubing goes over the top of the ears?

Edit: a small fleece tube velcroed around each tube over the ear like a hose cozy.

ResMed S9 Auto set/Heated humidifier/AirFit N30i
diagnosed and began CPAP treatment 2003.

Stormynights

Post by Stormynights » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:08 am

I did find a partial solution to the ear problem but my nose is the main issue. I tried to make a little cozy but it blocks my nose too much.

khauser

Post by khauser » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:30 am

Stormy, you're talking about a cannula for oxygen delivery during the day, not a nasal cannula for CPAP treatment, correct? If so, remember that these don't have to fit "tight" like a cpap mask ... it just has to be positioned to deliver the O2 in to your nose. It can be very loose.

Hope this helps

Stormynights

Post by Stormynights » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:36 am

khauser wrote:Stormy, you're talking about a cannula for oxygen delivery during the day, not a nasal cannula for CPAP treatment, correct? If so, remember that these don't have to fit "tight" like a cpap mask ... it just has to be positioned to deliver the O2 in to your nose. It can be very loose.

Hope this helps
I do realize that but it only stays loose when you don't move. When you move it gets tight and pulls on your nose. Maybe I just need to learn to sit still.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:54 am

Since they make cannulae (is that correct?) for all sizes, including children,
perhaps you could ask your doctor for a smaller and/or softer cannula.

Stormynights

Post by Stormynights » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:00 pm

I called the oxygen supply people to ask if they had any solutions to my problem. They had nothing. I am just taking a day off the oxygen. My husband is here so I will be fine.

purple

Post by purple » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:29 pm

I met a nurse, who told me someone in a nursing homes tried to help a patient out by putting petroleum jelly inside his sore nose. With pure O2, it combusts and burns. This is an example of how to make a 72 year old man scream in high soprano. He also inhaled, which put flames down his throat into his lungs. I think you have the picture.

Stormynights

Post by Stormynights » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:32 pm

purple wrote:I met a nurse, who told me someone in a nursing homes tried to help a patient out by putting petroleum jelly inside his sore nose. With pure O2, it combusts and burns. This is an example of how to make a 72 year old man scream in high soprano. He also inhaled, which put flames down his throat into his lungs. I think you have the picture.
I won't be doing that.

rockyp9

Post by rockyp9 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:12 pm

If you're on 3LPM or less you may wish to try out the Salter #1616-4 "micro" cannula. It's very lightweight and thin, and no flap. I've been on supplemental oxygen since I was hospitalized in April (8LPM) and absolutely hated the various cannula I've tried. I've used the Salter #1616 for the past few weeks and it's at least tolerable with minimal skin contact. There's still the problem of stepping on the tubing or getting it caught on something. That my ears are still attached to my head is a miracle.

The Salter #1616 is more expensive than their regular size, but I think it's worth it. This model doesn't come with ear cushions like some of the other models, but because of its light weight I don't feel the need for cushioning the ears. I am currently down to 1LPM and cant wait to get rid of supplemental O2 altogether.

Stormynights

Post by Stormynights » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:23 pm

My oxygen man called me and said they did have softer cannulas and he is sending me two different ones to try. I should have them tomorrow.

jdr999

Post by jdr999 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:14 pm

Have you seen these?

http://www.salterlabs.com/store/downloads/49.pdf

I have no experience with them but they look like they may stay in place better and put less pressure on your nose and ears...

Roger2

Post by Roger2 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:42 pm

When you order cannula supply again ask your supplier for some ear cushions. Their just s small length of foam material about 1/4" in diameter with a grove in the middle through which the cannula hose passes over.

If your nose is getting sore that is usually from being dried out by the oxygen which is bad about that. I use a hydrator attached to my concentrator for the same reason but for the cpap, I hook the oxygen line into the cpap machine at the back where your hose connects. It is a simple 'T' configuration and works well; your oxygen supplier should be able to furnish you with that also. Be sure to disconnect the hydrator though before going to bed or you will soon experience rain-out in the middle of the night.

Roger