Mask Recommendation

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Ron439

Mask Recommendation

Post by Ron439 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:50 am

I'm writing as the wife of a CPAP user ... I can't stand it any more and need HELP!!! Since my husband starting using CPAP 5 years ago, he is sleeping better and overall, much more quietly. He is a mouth breather so needs a FF mask -- he has been using a "Hybrid"-type mask and is comfortable in that style. He tried other FF masks at the beginning and couldn't get a proper seal. However, he sleeps on his side with his arm up next to his face, pushing the mask out of position, so what I hear is a major hissing leak sound, along with light snoring. The hissing is loud enough to wake me up, especially in the early morning hours when I'm trying to catch that last little bit of sleep (I don't get enough sleep anyway, so every minute is valuable and I really don't want to get up at 6 AM -- prefer an extra hour or so). Occasionally, it even wakes me from a dead sleep in the middle of the night. I can't get him to change his sleeping position, though kicking him seems to get him to briefly reposition. Very briefly. How the heck does that leaking not bother him????

I haven't checked his numbers lately because he's been spending 3-4 half-nights/week next door at his mother's house (she needs a caretaker ... the guys are resisting ... long story short). He does not use a mask there -- sleeps on the couch for a few hours then comes home. So on those nights, I can fall asleep in silence, but am rudely awakened in the morning. The rest of the nights, I have to fall asleep to that noise too.

DME stopped calling, I don't know why, but he is long overdue for a new mask so we need to call them to get it set up. Can anyone recommend a mask that might stay put in an awkward sleeping position? I once looked at those fabric masks, which seemed to me like a reasonable solution, but have been told they're crap. I'm about ready to start sleeping in another room (which I did to force him to go to his first sleep study!). I'm desperate, seriously, and need a recommendation. This forum has helped me before, so once again, I'm begging for help, please!!

Thanks,
Cyndi M
Sleep-deprived in VA
Posted by Ronnie's wife Cyndi!

Pugsy

Re: Mask Recommendation

Post by Pugsy » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:08 am

Actually those cloth masks aren't crap and lots of people do very well with them but they are nasal masks and leave the mouth uncovered so if someone is a heavy duty mouth breather they will not be very effective unless he can keep his mouth closed.

Is there any chance that he could breathe through his nose well enough during the night to use a nasal type of mask? Does he have nasal congestion issues that make it difficult for him to breathe only through his nose?
If he could keep his mouth shut (chin strap or tape or break the mouth opening habit) and breathe through his nose it would open up a whole new world in mask choices that are easier to keep sealed.

Full face masks simply have a lot of real estate touching the skin that needs to be kept sealed and thus makes it more work for some people.

What pressure does he use? Have you thought about using a mask liner to help keep things sealed?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

caffeinatedcfo

Post by caffeinatedcfo » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:35 am

I was a mouth breather too -- BEFORE CPAP. Now I have no issues breathing through my nose all night.

joshelmintz

Post by joshelmintz » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:44 am

I also am a very heavy duty mouth breather due to a deviated septum. Tried a nasal mask at the sleep study and couldnt tolerate it at all! You can try to look into getting him a cpap pillow. It has cutouts on the sides and the mask will rest in the cutouts possibly allowing his arms to miss hitting his mask altogether? And I guess if all else fails tie his arms to the bed rail LOL just kidding.

Ron439

Post by Ron439 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:56 am

I'm sorry, Pugsy, when I had inquired about the cloth masks before, the DME-guy was VERY down on them, so I guess I thought it was TV commercial hype and not a "real" product. Reassuring to know they're not crap! It's been a long time since I've looked, so had forgotten they were nasal-only. I don't think my husband's issue is just congestion -- in fact, I don't think he breathes much at all thru his nose when he sleeps. I think when he sleeps, all the tissues sort of collapse and close off the nasal airway. So yes, we're talking heavy-duty mouth breather. During sleep study, they first tried a nasal mask and the air from the mask poured out his mouth instead of allowing him to breathe normally -- so he's been on FF from the start. Last I checked his pressure (I made the doc prescribe him an auto, since the sleep study people had him set WAY too high, like 18!), it was somewhere around 11-12. Mask liner, are you referring to those cloth-like liners? If so, I got him one once, and he refused to use it. We've never tried a chin strap ... however, I've considered super glue, LOL!

I certainly appreciate your help. I feel a little better since I first messaged, after sleeping 45 minutes on the couch, but still, I'm at my wit's end. I sometimes use earplugs, but unknowingly take them out in my sleep and find them on the nightstand in the morning (in their case, too, LOL!) ... but I also know that ignoring the problem does not help his optimal treatment.

Ron439

Post by Ron439 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:03 am

I have also looked into the CPAP pillows, but it's been a while. He likes a very "flat" pillow, so I tried to make my own by cutting up a cheap pillow ... he hated it. But maybe I should try again, getting a real one. If it works (if he would even use it at all), it would certainly be worth the investment.

joshelmintz

Post by joshelmintz » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:13 am

The one that I got was a memory foam pillow. I got it from a healthcare supply company, insurance didn't cover it, but it was not very expensive, around 60 to 80 dollars I think. I remember how excited I was to get and use it, and I absolutely LOVE this pillow. Its my CPAP American Express, I never leave home without it!

2 B Sleeping Soundly

Post by 2 B Sleeping Soundly » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:18 am

I was a severe mouth breather at night (even did it a lot during the day time )
before I started on PAP therapy. My first mask I ever tried out was a nasal mask and I was also given a chin strap as well. I have about 1 year, 8 month's on this therapy and still use the same mask and chin strap combo, so I can say from my own personal experience that mouth breathing can be overcome to provide more mask style opportunities.

This is probably going to be one of those try it and see things for your husband that we get so often in our search for proper treatment of our SA / OSA and having good restorative sleep. Who know's, it just might work

You can also search for the 'Tongue Technique' here on the Forum and you will find mixed reactions and success with this, but I still use this technique every night as well, even though I still use my chin strap (which has just become part of my nightly gear and is as benign to me as my pillow ).

John

One time a cop pulled me over for running a stop sign. He said, "Didn't you see the stop sign?" I said, "Yeah, but I don't believe everything I read." -- Steven Wright

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:46 am

Specific fitting ideas for the hybrid leak control I don't have because I have never used any full face mask.

I was thinking that maybe leaks with movement later on during the night might be either related to really high pressures or even just a normal increase in skin oils making it difficult. You know a little more facial oils making seal slip around a bit. The mask liner might help with absorbing those oils...but if he won't even use it...you may need to threaten the super glue.

You have to be able to sleep too.

Padacheek makes a really nice liner..that won't slide around and get in the way as much as the looser liners that aren't anchored.
http://www.padacheek.com/PAC_Maskliners.html

There's a new ResMed FFM called the Quattro Air. It is more the traditional cover the nose and mouth in one interface than the Hybrid he is using. I don't know that it will be any better than what he is using now.
It's brand new so not a lot of user reviews yet.

I will let the other forum members toss around mask ideas. If you thought there was any chance he could use a nasal pillow mask I might have one he could try but if he has chronic congestion then there is really not much of having success with it and nasal pillow masks (what I use) is where my main experience is.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

joshelmintz

Post by joshelmintz » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:39 am

Which Hybrid mask is he using? I have the mirage liberty, which has both nasal pillows, and an oral interface and like it but dont love it. It does take time to find the right combinations on the head gear to get it to fit and seal. My issues with the full face mask was a very sore nose due to it sitting on the bridge of my nose, and also pressure leaks that would send blasts of air into my eyes. They Hybrid eliminated both issues. Now with the Hybrid masks I have used two, I have used the innomed, and the Respcare which I use now. The Innomed was a lot more comfortable, and easier to get used to. I felt I got a better fit, also the nose pillows are adjustable with height. It was also easier as far as fitting with the headgear. My opinion.

joshelmintz

Post by joshelmintz » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:46 am

Also the CPAPmax pillow was the pillow I was referring to.

NateS

Post by NateS » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:35 pm

joshelmintz wrote:Also the CPAPmax pillow was the pillow I was referring to.
I swear by that one too!

When on my side, only my cheek touches the pillow and the rest of my face just protrudes over the edge. Well-notched, with flat blunt edges. No tapering.

$59.99 at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/CPAPmax-Bed-Pillo ... max+pillow

Regards, Nate

Present Rx: EPAP: 8; IPAPlo:11; IPAPHi: 23; PSMin: 3; PSMax: 15
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it." —Groucho Marx

hyperlexis

Post by hyperlexis » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:36 pm

Ron439 wrote:I'm writing as the wife of a CPAP user ... I can't stand it any more and need HELP!!! Since my husband starting using CPAP 5 years ago, he is sleeping better and overall, much more quietly. He is a mouth breather so needs a FF mask -- he has been using a "Hybrid"-type mask and is comfortable in that style. He tried other FF masks at the beginning and couldn't get a proper seal. However, he sleeps on his side with his arm up next to his face, pushing the mask out of position, so what I hear is a major hissing leak sound, along with light snoring. The hissing is loud enough to wake me up, especially in the early morning hours when I'm trying to catch that last little bit of sleep (I don't get enough sleep anyway, so every minute is valuable and I really don't want to get up at 6 AM -- prefer an extra hour or so). Occasionally, it even wakes me from a dead sleep in the middle of the night. I can't get him to change his sleeping position, though kicking him seems to get him to briefly reposition. Very briefly. How the heck does that leaking not bother him????

I haven't checked his numbers lately because he's been spending 3-4 half-nights/week next door at his mother's house (she needs a caretaker ... the guys are resisting ... long story short). He does not use a mask there -- sleeps on the couch for a few hours then comes home. So on those nights, I can fall asleep in silence, but am rudely awakened in the morning. The rest of the nights, I have to fall asleep to that noise too.

DME stopped calling, I don't know why, but he is long overdue for a new mask so we need to call them to get it set up. Can anyone recommend a mask that might stay put in an awkward sleeping position? I once looked at those fabric masks, which seemed to me like a reasonable solution, but have been told they're crap. I'm about ready to start sleeping in another room (which I did to force him to go to his first sleep study!). I'm desperate, seriously, and need a recommendation. This forum has helped me before, so once again, I'm begging for help, please!!

Thanks,
Cyndi M
Sleep-deprived in VA

Get him the Hans Rudolph V2. It's big, and fits tight, but of all the masks I have tried, this one really stays firmly planted. Very difficult to dislodge and leak with movement. The standard Quattro with the forehead support brace is pretty good as well (although a tad more leak prone than the V2).

Good luck!

Ron439

Post by Ron439 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:20 am

Thanks for all the suggestions! Pillow is being ordered, instructions for the tongue technique have been relayed, and the mask recommendations have been noted and are ready for DME-guy. Although I think we're getting a new DME-guy ... my husband had trouble getting thru to the old one. So let's see if the new one is any more helpful!!

If all else fails, we will resort to super glue on the mouth and handcuffing his arms to the bed rails!

Thanks again,
Cyndi

Stormynights

Post by Stormynights » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:58 am

Ron439 wrote:Thanks for all the suggestions! Pillow is being ordered, instructions for the tongue technique have been relayed, and the mask recommendations have been noted and are ready for DME-guy. Although I think we're getting a new DME-guy ... my husband had trouble getting thru to the old one. So let's see if the new one is any more helpful!!

If all else fails, we will resort to super glue on the mouth and handcuffing his arms to the bed rails!

Thanks again,
Cyndi
You go girl. You sound so much like me working to help my husband.