Poll: What mask type do you use?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

What mask style to you use?

pillows
47%
nasal mask
20%
full face mask
33%

Total votes: 128

pandatx

Poll: What mask type do you use?

Post by pandatx » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:30 am

What mask type are you using? Feel free to also comment on what you tried prior to finding your mask soulmate.
Last edited by pandatx on Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2 B Sleeping Soundly

Re: Poll: What mask type do you use?

Post by 2 B Sleeping Soundly » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:23 am

I use a nasal mask and have never tried any other type of mask. I was really fortunate that the first mask I was given was a keeper That is not the norm in PAP land, but it does happen. My encouragement to anyone struggling to find their perfect mask is to keep their mind open to any of the mask styles, experiment with different manufactures within each style, and don't let the search bring you down, as almost everyone has gone through (or is still going through) their own search. When you finally find that right mask it will be like... "Ahhha, this is the one", and you will be on your way to better, healthier sleep

John

One time a cop pulled me over for running a stop sign. He said, "Didn't you see the stop sign?" I said, "Yeah, but I don't believe everything I read." -- Steven Wright

pandatx

Post by pandatx » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:36 am

Thank you John!

quietmorning

Post by quietmorning » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:00 am

Both my masks were pillows - the first one was the Opus 360 - which has the inbetween sized billows of the Swift FX. I now use the Ladies Swift FX - small pillow which is slightly larger than the Opus 360 small pillow. I've been very happy with this set up. I tried the Bella, for me it just wasn't stable enough.

Madalot

Post by Madalot » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:02 am

I used a nasal mask for four nights. It was horrible. My mouth would fill with air, then bubble out during the night. I would get stuffed up during the night and couldn't breathe through my nose. Miserable, miserable.

Got my F&P 431 FFM on night five and was immediately 80% better all the way around.

Still use the 431 today, over three years later.

Loreena

Post by Loreena » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:29 am

I had to go to "extreme" (according to some people of this forum, but I am fine with it because I get good sleep now) measures to keep my mouth shut.

First of all, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE The Pilairo mask. Then I use the deluxe-style chinstrap and wear it rather loosely so that it's not uncomfortable at all (this is to "remind" my brain to keep my mouth shut). Then I use a cervical neck collar and wrapped a silk scarf around the chin area in order to make the collar a little higher and a little more comfortable, but I try to adjust the height of the scarf so I'm still able to keep my chin pointed down a bit to avoid aerophagia yet still have the collar under my chin for extra protection to keep my mouth closed.

My extra "add-ons": I use a bumper pad packpack to make sure I stay on my side.
http://www.antisnoreshirt.com/Rematee_B ... p/bbns.htm

I use the Den Tek bruxism mouthguard--not because I brux, but I sleep better and my mouth stays closed better while having this to rest my teeth on and it does not crowd the tongue at all. (Most mouthpieces you cannot say this about.) I am a firm believer that, for some, having the jaw slightly opened and, with it, the airway slightly opened, makes the airway less prone to collapse, or something along those lines. Especially persons whose tongue is too big for their mouth, low palet, narrow airway, etc.

Is it a pain to take the small amount of time to get this stuff on? Yes, a little. But if I don't leave a single thing out, I am totally good to go for the next day.

tbinbny

Post by tbinbny » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:56 am

I tried the nasal pillow inserts-style and found that they irritated my nose too much, even after trying some different things and adjusting the straps and putting different-sized pillows in. I also had a nasal cushion mask from the sleep study. That one is much more comfortable, but it irritated the bridge of my nose a little, even after loosening. I put a band-aid on my nose and that alleviated the problem.

The problem with both of those was that my mouth kept opening during the night and I would get incredible dry-mouth. I read all the tips and even got the chin strap, but I decided to try the full face mask (FFM). Before trying this, I read a lot about them and it seemed to me that most people discouraged them. They said keep trying different things to keep your mouth shut. This made me feel that I shouldn't want to go to the FFM because it must be really bad!

Anyway, decided to give it a try. I did some research and for whatever reason I thought that the Resmed Quatro FX would be the most advanced, most comfortable FFM to try, so that is what I got. Once I got it I found my match! It is so comfortable that I actually do forget that it is on and forget that the machine is on when I wake up. I don't have any hose management system and I move a couple times during the night from laying on my left side, to laying on my back, to laying on my right side, etc., and this mask is much easier to move around with too.

Everyone is different, but this is my top choice. I breathe out of my nose, but somehow my mouth opens from time-to-time and this FFM is wonderful. Why bother learning to keep my mouth shut and wearing all kinds of straps and braces! I even tried taping my mouth shut! Never again.

Plus, if you ever have a cold, a FFM is nice to have. Good luck on your choice. My advice is to try the Quatro FX. They have a lot of info about it on the manufacturer's website, including a sizing tool that you print out. They even make a Quatro FX "for her".

Denial Dave

Post by Denial Dave » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:33 am

mild deviated septum & a mouth breather while sleeping.

full face mask is my primary option..... hybrid might be a 2nd choice

if you don't know where you are going... any road will take you there.... George Harrison

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:08 am

I use the hybrid - nasal pillows but full face mask.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

johnthomasmacdonald

Post by johnthomasmacdonald » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:17 am

using respironics fitlife - excellent for leaks and I mouth breath so i no longer have to tape my mouth. I've tried swift fx and omni 360 pillows, resmed nasal mirage, fabric mask -elan; ffm - amara, comfort gel, quatro fx and one from fisher paykel

the fitlife doesn't seem to be a problem at all for me, i fall right off to sleep

caffeinatedcfo

Post by caffeinatedcfo » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:34 am

I chose the FFM to start simply because it was the most comfortable to exhale with. I like the comfort of the nasal mask slightly more but exhaling during my DME fitting seemed harder and I wanted to put my best foot forward to ensure compliance. I am starting to get used to breathing with cpap and my titration study is scheduled for 4/21. I'll try the nasal then and see how it goes. The problem i have with the FFM is that my face is narrow and the upper seal is so close to my eyes I wake with irritated eyelids even when no leaks near eyes.

jencat824

Post by jencat824 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:00 am

I'm currently using the Swift LT - it seems to be my 'forever' mask.

I've tried a lot of masks & this one fits the best. I used a nasal mask, the IQ for years & they changed the headgear so that it no longer fit me. That's when my 'mask journey' began. I love the Piliaro, but I mouthbreathe too much with it, can't get a good seal with the Swift FX. I've tried & failed with the FF mask & the Hybrid, so tried several more nasal pillow masks, as well as the Elan (liked that one, but it was hard to read in bed with).

The facial pieces on the Swift LT seem to 'remind' my brain to keep my mouth shut, so it was my 'winner'.

Jen

Other masks I've tried: *=liked, #= no way
Piliaro, SleepWeaver Elan*, Swift FX w&w/o Bella Loops#, OpitLife#,Simplicity*, Mirage Vista*, Go Life for Her#, IQ (original hg only)*, Quattro FX (barely)###, Wisp*, Nuance#, Swift LT for her**

MyIdaho

Post by MyIdaho » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:02 am

I was fortunate to try three different masks at the original DME visit and only the mirage quattro felt reasonable for me. Taking it home and trying it out went very smoothly. Haven't been tempted to try any others...

BTW, Pandatx, I like your avator! Very sweet picture, is that you and your dogs?

STL Mark

Post by STL Mark » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:59 pm

Oral mask was forgotten setting up poll. But that would be my selection.

(Total face was also omitted)

Mode: ASVAuto, Min EPAP: 4, Max EPAP: 15, Min PS: 3, Max PS: 15, Ramp: Off - Original Titration: 18

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:11 pm

I wore the Elan almost exclusively for the last 8 months or so, but recently had to change back to my Swift FX for Her, due to
an eye tic possibly due to air blowing in my eyes at night. I am trying out the Tap Pap, but will probably not wear it on
consecutive nights until my dentist and I agree that the "odd" feeling I get from it is not bad things happening in my mouth.
I just ordered my WISP from my favorite online supplier! (fingers crossed)