Cpap Newbie, Noise is a big issue-

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
musicmanjer

Cpap Newbie, Noise is a big issue-

Post by musicmanjer » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:17 pm

Hello All,

So 3 weeks ago I was diagnosed with Severe Apnea. Over 88 events. I was given a Philips machine with a nasal mask. It has been 7 days now, not very long I know, but I got used to the headstraps and got the mask so that it doesn't leak on me. Anyway, I have struggled to accept this thing as a way of life for me and realize I need it. My issue is that I can be just barely awake, and ready to sleep, put the mask on and then pray I get to sleep, but cannot because of the air noise of exhaling and the air being forced into my nose. The pump itself is quiet and I dont hear a thing from it.

I am a musician and sound engineer and am very sensitive to sound. I am a light sleeper while trying to get to sleep, and somewhat during the night. The exhale to me sounds like a hurricane and have tried getting over it. I've trie earplugs, but all that does is amplify it in my inner ear. Some folks say get a white noise generator or a fan, but that to me is obnoxious noise and cant wait to turn it off.

Does anyone have any advice for me? Am I doomed? Will I continue to have sleepless nights as I have (6 in a row now)?

Any help is appreciated-
Blessings,
Jerry

cosmo

Re: Cpap Newbie, Noise is a big issue-

Post by cosmo » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:20 pm

Type of mask and pressure settings?

herefishy

Post by herefishy » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:22 pm

This is very probably a problem that can be easily taken care of with a different mask - talk to your DME.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:25 pm

Try turning on some MUSIC for background, I made a recording of nature sounds, storms, rain, thunder etc. I also use T. V. but I tend to wake up at the ads, thAt defeats the idea. The drumming of a motor or fan is also good, what ever floats your boat. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

hyperlexis

Post by hyperlexis » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:25 pm

Switch masks -- you should still be within 30 days so they DME may let you swap it out.

I have never used a FP mask so I can't comment on their noise levels, but the ResMed masks I have used have mostly had the quietist air vents of the lot. I'm trying a nasal Activa LT model now and the vent is extremely quiet. The Quattro FF mask has had the quietist vent of all masks I have tried followed by the Quattro FX, -- but for nasal, the Activa has been very quiet.

You will have to understand, however, there will be some air noises regardless of mask or machine you have and you will just have to get used to it or try earplugs to mask the sound.

Or perhaps an orchestra in your bedroom?

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:28 pm

Sometimes the exhaust from the mask hits bedding or a pillow, making noise.
I poke down the comforter, or aim the airflow where it makes the least noise.
Do NOT block the vent or its flow--that is carbon dioxide. (out with the bad air; in with the good air)
The cloth masks are probably the quietest masks; you may want to try one some time.

cosmo

Post by cosmo » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:36 pm

Adjust the ramp feature....

johnthomasmacdonald

Post by johnthomasmacdonald » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:41 pm

I know it is hard to believe, but you'll pretty rapidly reach the point that you feel that you couldn't fall sleep WITHOUT the cpap machine - it may take a lot of trial and error, finding just the right mask or at least a mask that works and maybe a different machine - but when i started in august i thought it was absolutely impossible that i'd ever be able to sleep even a couple of hours on these machines - a month into it and I was even more desperate - in my case it took getting a dental appliance and switching to a bilevel to get it to work ( i don't need to use the dental appliance with the bilevel but it has the advantage of letting me use a much lower pressure level on straight cpap). I still don't have it totally worked out ( last night for example my ahi shot up to 8 From 1 on tues for some unknown reason) but it gets better each night and i've had to work it out with NO help from a physician or a sleep test or a DME. Just what I read and help from the people here - especially Saint Pugsy. IF you hang in there and don't throw in the towel, you WILL get it to work

xenablue

Post by xenablue » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:45 pm

Please go to the User Control Panel and add your machine, mask etc., preferably in text, not pics.

We sleep with a box fan on every night - white noise neutralises any noises from my CPAP gear, as well as outside noises.

cheers,
xena

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:04 pm

Hi Jerry, welcome. If we know what mask you have we can offer more suggestions. I'm guessing you have a full-face mask or an over-the-nose (nasal) mask? I use a nasal pillow mask (fits just inside the nose) and when I have it properly adjusted with no leaks, I have no perceptible exhale noise. So there are likely alternatives for you but let us know what you're currently using. And hang in there, this is not an easy therapy to get used to.

jencat824

Post by jencat824 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:34 pm

Hi Jerry,

My hubby is new to CPAP (I'm fairly new to this forum, but have used CPAP 12 yrs), his starting mask is the Amara FF mask by Phillips Respronics. I noticed last nite how quiet his mask is. Exhale port seemed so quiet to me I felt of it to make sure it was exhaling. I've tried lots of masks & this would not be a mask for me, its made more for someone who can toleate the forehad pad. If your face is large enough that the forehead pad actually hits your forehead (mine isn't), this could be a good mask to try if you are looking for quiet. Be sure you've tried other suggestions first, it could just be the exhale hitting your bedding. Also some white noise can't hurt.

Good luck,
Jen

Other masks I've tried: *=liked, #= no way
Piliaro, SleepWeaver Elan*, Swift FX w&w/o Bella Loops#, OpitLife#,Simplicity*, Mirage Vista*, Go Life for Her#, IQ (original hg only)*, Quattro FX (barely)###, Wisp*, Nuance#, Swift LT for her**

ughwhatname

Post by ughwhatname » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:36 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Sometimes the exhaust from the mask hits bedding or a pillow, making noise.
I poke down the comforter, or aim the airflow where it makes the least noise.
Do NOT block the vent or its flow--that is carbon dioxide. (out with the bad air; in with the good air)
The cloth masks are probably the quietest masks; you may want to try one some time.

Good point! I have that issue frequently. Finally, I decided to keep the hose above the covers so it doesn't get blocked. It does have a noise that is distracting if the vent is blocked, even within a few inches it seems to make noise.

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:49 pm

And once in a while some doohickey piece gets out of place by just a tiny fraction, ie. an edge of some silicon thingy pops in a tiny place from where it's otherwise tucked in (or vice versa), or a larger plastic piece is not clicked into place, etc., so you also need to check things carefully, because noises are usually air escaping from where it shouldn't (or else you just got stuck with a lemon .

JohnO

Post by JohnO » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:43 pm

jencat824 wrote: ... his starting mask is the Amara FF mask by Phillips Respronics. I noticed last nite how quiet his mask is. Exhale port seemed so quiet to me I felt of it to make sure it was exhaling.
While I have switched to the Aloha nasal pillows as my "daily driver," I started with the Philips Respironics TrueBlue nasal mask. The exhaust port was noticably quieter with the PR TrueBlue than it is with the Aloha. I recently bought a PR Amara FF for those days where I just can't breath at all through my nose. It too, has the very quiet PR exhaust port.

I too, sleep with a small fan in the room to provide some white noise.

John

Randyp1234

Post by Randyp1234 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:57 pm

Jerry,

One of these might help: http://www.amazon.com/Marsona-TSCI-330- ... _sim_hpc_3

Randy