Gentle ways to tape?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
kaiasgram

Gentle ways to tape?

Post by kaiasgram » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:43 pm

I know there are discussions scattered throughout the forum posts about mouth taping, but could I ask here what you seasoned mouth tapers feel is the gentlest way to do it? I have sensitive skin and can hardy imagine peeling the skin off my already thin lips every day. Type of tape? Coating/protection for lips? And do you pull your lips in before taping to avoid your lips having a lot of contact with the adhesive?

All tips much appreciated.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Gentle ways to tape?

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:18 pm

Never get adhesive on the part you put lipstick.
Either tuck your lips in or apply a touch of gloss or lanolin to that area
I like to cut a home-made, custom-sized chin up strip out of delicate surface blue painters tape,
but I wish I could find something more flexible with the same adhesion.
Sometimes I just use a vertical strip of 1" J&J cloth tape (wish it came in 1.5 or 2" width)
Some folks pre-treat the skin to be taped with Philips Milk of Magnesia, wipe off, and dry before applying tape.

lazer

Post by lazer » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:33 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Never get adhesive on the part you put lipstick.
Either tuck your lips in or apply a touch of gloss or lanolin to that area
I like to cut a home-made, custom-sized chin up strip out of delicate surface blue painters tape,
but I wish I could find something more flexible with the same adhesion.
Sometimes I just use a vertical strip of 1" J&J cloth tape (wish it came in 1.5 or 2" width)
Some folks pre-treat the skin to be taped with Philips Milk of Magnesia, wipe off, and dry before applying tape.
I don't wear lipstick

wildman 2

Post by wildman 2 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:38 pm

Lazer
I use 1" 3M Micropore tape. Two vertical strips ending in a V at the chin. I have a moustache and still don't have a problem if I pull the tape off from the top toward the bottom. I also coat my lips and roll them inward.
Know His Peace,
Bob

lazer

Post by lazer » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:45 pm

wildman 2 wrote:Lazer
I use 1" 3M Micropore tape. Two vertical strips ending in a V at the chin. I have a moustache and still don't have a problem if I pull the tape off from the top toward the bottom. I also coat my lips and roll them inward.
Know His Peace,
Bob
Thanks Bob, Is that the "painters tape" I hear talked about? I'm having fits with my Premium Respironics Chinstrap. Doesn't feel so "Premium" to me anymore and the damn velcro on the side strap is wearing off already. I'm about ready to try taping.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:36 pm

Sorry, Lazer, I should have said, " if you were an actor or TV personality", or where I, a frog, would. . .

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:53 pm

Here's what I do since I have a small mustache and sensitive skin:

I use 3M Transpore 1" wide tape.

I use enough horizontally to cover my mouth, approx 2", kinda of slipping it under my mustache as much as possible. I usually snip a 1/4" horizontal slit in it to allow some air to escape if I get 'chipmunk cheeks' (I rarely do). Also the slit allows me to breathe in a little easier if the power goes out in my house. I consider this a 'safety valve'.

As a caveat, If I'm feeling poorly I use a much smaller strip of tape and make sure there's an emergency rip-off tab of folded over tape, which allows me to get it off quickly if I might vomit or whatever (I never have).

As for getting the tape off easier in the morning, I first wash my face at night with soap, then get a strip of tape from the roll, then and only then, I paste it against the inside of my forearm where there's no hair. This gets some skin oil on it and makes it easier to remove later. Experiment on how much to 'oil' the tape so you can remove it with no pain when you get up. Also in the morning, I sometimes squeeze some saliva between my lips and mush it around, letting it lubricate the tape for a minute or two while I disassemble my nasal pillows, headgear, hose etc. The saliva seems to loosen it all up nicely.

Good luck with your Xpap experience.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

jwerley

Post by jwerley » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:56 pm

I put chapstick on my lips (coat them pretty well, then use Nexcare Gentle Paper Tape (two strips) over that and it is easy to pull off in the morning without hurting your lips...... . I also fold over the ends of the tape to give me something to hold onto when pulling it off......Then I put my chin strap on and pull it about half way over my lips and I have a nice snug closure....NO leaks!! If you use a humidifier like I do turned up to 5 the paper tape gets a little moist and really comes off pretty easily....you can always cup water in your hand and get it wet before pulling it off, if it is too tight.....

Last edited by jwerley on Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"He who understands you is greater kin to you than your own brother. For even your own kindred may neither understand you nor know your true worth."
Kahlil Gibran

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:58 pm

Well good thing I asked, I had always assume that people put tape horizontally across their entire mouth! Jeeza! Sounds like some folks do it that way, but a strip or two vertically ending in a V on the chin I may be able to handle. Thanks everyone.

jwerley, I just went out and bought some Gentle Paper Tape for sensitive skin -- do you put those two strips vertically or horizontally?

Lazer, I gotta tell you -- the other day I was reading some forum posts and saw a bug crawling on my computer screen. I tried to flick it off and 'discovered' oh no, it somehow got inside the monitor. Need I finish the story? Clearly I have a lot more sleep to catch up on!

torontoCPAPguy

Post by torontoCPAPguy » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:58 pm

Sorry gang. You will NEVER get me taping, strapping or using headgear to hold my mouth closed to prevent mouth breathing. For one thing I get congested at night. And for another thing I had a friend whose mouth was taped. He vomited, aspirated the vomit and died, leaving a widow and two kids. His name was Kleinberg.

Fall colours. One of God's gifts. Life is fragile and short, savour every moment no matter what your problems may be. These stunning fall colours from my first outing after surviving a month on life support due to H1N1.

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:01 pm

torontoCPAPguy wrote:Sorry gang. You will NEVER get me taping, strapping or using headgear to hold my mouth closed to prevent mouth breathing. For one thing I get congested at night. And for another thing I had a friend whose mouth was taped. He vomited, aspirated the vomit and died, leaving a widow and two kids. His name was Kleinberg.
You could easily do that in a full face mask too!

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:08 pm

torontoCPAPguy wrote:Sorry gang. You will NEVER get me taping, strapping or using headgear to hold my mouth closed to prevent mouth breathing. For one thing I get congested at night. And for another thing I had a friend whose mouth was taped. He vomited, aspirated the vomit and died, leaving a widow and two kids. His name was Kleinberg.

That helps my anxiety a lot.

jwerley

Post by jwerley » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:14 pm

Definately horizontally....It is really no big deal....you get used to it real fast....I was using painter's tape, but with the humidity (5) I found it did not stick as well......No biggie at all!!!

"He who understands you is greater kin to you than your own brother. For even your own kindred may neither understand you nor know your true worth."
Kahlil Gibran

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:22 pm

While awake...no where near the machine...apply the tape in various positions to see what suits you the best.
Then sit back and make a small effort to open your mouth. Normally a good yawn will dislodge the tape. It doesn't set up like cement. The seal is easily broken with minimal effort.

I did this long before bedtime so that I was comfortable with the knowledge that should the need come up that I could simply open my mouth if I needed to...and I could. This stuff isn't like super glue.

First night I taped....we had a power outage. Wouldn't you know? Anyhow..woke up to a strange quiet...lay there breathing with mouth taped and wondered why everything was so quiet. Then I realized that the machine wasn't on....so I pulled the mask of. There was no panic, no feelings of suffocation...nothing exciting at all.
Between learning that the tape isn't stuck like super glue or cement and that I could breathe with mask on and power off...I was comfortable taping. I did it for about 2 months then I seemed to not open my mouth all that much anymore...so I quit.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Gerald

Post by Gerald » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:40 pm

I've been taping for years....with excellent results.

I use 3M Blue #2080EL 2" wide Painter's Tape. Every night.

Buy it at Lowe's in the "Paint Department".

Tear off a strip about 9" long and fold each end down about 1/4" for "removal handles".

Tape horizontally across your lips and just under your nose. Adhesion is helped if applied to a clean (no oil on skin) face.

Use good common sense and don't tape if you're ill....or drunk.....

Enjoy a night of effective therapy.

Remove by grasping a "handle" and pulling the tape "over itself" (parallel to the surface of your face). Removal in this manner is very comfortable and takes about 2-seconds.

Do not pull the tape directly away from your face (perpendicular pull) unless you want pain and skin removal.