CPAP and Intimacy

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
BrandonB

Re: CPAP and Intimacy

Post by BrandonB » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:58 pm

Julie wrote:Hi- If you know them well enough to be intimate, you (should) know them well enough to explain about apnea... and we all know that those people will be intelligent, perceptive, empathetic, extra nice, have a sense of humor, etc. etc.

Seriously though, what about people who take a lot of meds?

People who have to step over the cracks in the sidewalk?

Once the lights are out (after playtime) it's not a big deal, and give your 'friends' some credit for understanding things and wanting to learn more, never mind being glad you're not going to kick off overnight because you've been vain.
My sentiment exactly.
Life before my CPAP was really no life at all!

archangle

Post by archangle » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:40 pm

About the only real problem is that one night stands have to be at your own house or you have to keep a spare CPAP machine in your car at all times. Or you have to go home to sleep after a roll in the hay at your partner's house.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:02 pm

archangle wrote:About the only real problem is that one night stands have to be at your own house or you have to keep a spare CPAP machine in your car at all times. Or you have to go home to sleep after a roll in the hay at your partner's house.
Nobody I know sleeps comfortably in the back seat of a VW so that would solve that problem.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Jaylee

Post by Jaylee » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:13 pm

Look on the brightside, if you scare someone off because of a CPap machine, they are just sparing you wasted time with someone who is immature. I think that once you reach a certain age, people can be adults and handle something like wearing a mask to bed. It really isn't a big deal between grown ups. When I told my boyfriend about my BiPap machine he just asked if it was portable.

Good luck. Do not let CPap stop you from dating.

esangston

Post by esangston » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:08 am

My husband loves my cpap... Our romantic moments were few and far between prior to my cpap... since my s9 moved in next to my bed things have since turned around lol...if you find someone you are wiling to let in your bed, I'd hope they would want what's best to you and find comfort to sleeping next to a hose head lol.if not then maybe that's your clue they aren't the one for you lol... Cpap as a relationship tool gotta love it lol

Yes, I'm married to man with a bad case of narcolepsy. And yup, I have 3 kids under age 4... Adding OSA just seemed like the right thing to do! :-)

Snuffle-nose

Post by Snuffle-nose » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:58 am

My mate know I suffer from moderate to severe sleep apeona, I have been on the CPAP for years......It took a while for Myself and him to get used to the white noise it makes, took me longer to get used to sleeping with a mask or nasal pillow on my nose!!! Now neither me and my bed mate find it a issue, as he knows I need it to sleep properly. As I educated him how dangerous sleep apeona can be! Plus he know I snore like buzz before I had treatment, as he has woken me up because of it!!!
Been on CPAP for a while.....I had moderate apenoa

Shellie_p

Post by Shellie_p » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:14 pm

Well since most people with apnea tend to snore tell your partner the truth and wear the machine like your supossed to, and if they have anything to say about, its WAY more pleasant to sleep next to you on the machine then snoring, choking and gasping all night long.

Besides like most everyone else has said if your into a relationship enough to spend the night and not just romp and go, you NEED to know how they are gonna take to your machine.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:19 pm

Dear, I'm going to wear this now, as it would be kind of awkward for you to wake up next to a corpse.

Newbie Woman

Post by Newbie Woman » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:13 pm

Amen to those who said not to sleep with people you don't know very well. Amen also to those who said CPAP may help you find a partner with maturity, depth and compassion.

Newbie Woman

Post by Newbie Woman » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:17 am

I sounded preachy before, and I apologize.

I can't possibly understand the difficulties of introducing a partner to CPAP because I've been married since I was a kid. My husband thought I died in my sleep last spring, and he's incredibly grateful that I now live with a CPAP machine. I hate how I look with my mask on, but he calls me "little elephant" like I'm the cutest thing ever.

That's the kind of partner I wish for you and that's what I meant to say before. If a person is turned off by a CPAP machine and that cute little elephant look, he/she doesn't deserve you.

Kairosgrammy

Post by Kairosgrammy » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:40 am

Love it!!! Thanks for a bit of humor to start my Monday.
chunkyfrog wrote:Dear, I'm going to wear this now, as it would be kind of awkward for you to wake up next to a corpse.

jenn1270

Post by jenn1270 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:39 pm

Wear your CPAP. I made my husband get it before I married him. I REFUSED to sleep next to him snoring.

Jenn

Erinome

Post by Erinome » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:04 am

Snuffle-nose wrote:
"My mate know I suffer from moderate to severe sleep apeona, I have been on the CPAP for years."

But this is exactly my problem -- I don't HAVE a mate -- I'm trying to get one. And CPAP machines aren't very attractive.

Maybe you have forgotten what it's like to be alone and searching for love, but I have to deal with it.

Erinome

Post by Erinome » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:08 am

Newbie Woman wrote:I sounded preachy before, and I apologize.

I can't possibly understand the difficulties of introducing a partner to CPAP because I've been married since I was a kid.
Well them, please try to increase your empathy level. I HAVE NOT been married since I was a kid, as I was in college and then graduate school and then worked on a career for several years. So I'm coming from a very different place than you. If you can't understand that I'm not sure why you responded to my original query in the first place....

Newbie Woman

Post by Newbie Woman » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:18 am

I responded because I worried about you. I responded because I wanted you to find a person who would love the real you. I did it clumsily in the first reply and I'm still sorry. I think if you knew me in real life, you'd find I was a friend worth having, even if I'd never walked in your shoes.

There are things I am suffering through that don't have to do with CPAP but do have to do with my appearance and my sense of self. If we met, most likely you would say the wrong thing because everyone does. If I asked for advice and what you said was insensitive or ignorant, I would accept that you meant well and if you apologised I would know it came from your heart.