Mirage Activa?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
tbas

Mirage Activa?

Post by tbas » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:22 am

A few people here advised me to try the Mirage Activa mask. I read on cpap.com all good reviews about it. Now, I'd like to hear feedback from my trusted friends on this forum. Thanks!

tbas49

dave21

Re: Mirage Activa?

Post by dave21 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:32 am

For me the Activa is the most comfortable mask for me, I've tried a number of different nasal masks as well as full face and nasal pillows. Although the nasal pillows are nice and light and unobtrusive when sleeping, I still prefer the Activa for comfort level.

Thanks
Dave

catbirdgirl

Post by catbirdgirl » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:43 am

I love the activa line. both the activa and the activa LT have been good for me!

rosacer

Post by rosacer » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:14 am

I started cpap using the Activa, I like the mask. But because I have an almost inexisting nose bridge I thought it would be better the Activa LT because of the micrometric adjustment on the forehead. I bougth one and here is my discovery.

The LT is heavier than the Activa, the cussion is deep (lests say if you put the cussions flat on a table the LT goes high), the LT have a tendency to slide on my head, I have had unable to stops leaks with LT (0.06 l/min), although I have most of the time cero leaks with the Activa. I think this is due to the way how the cushion sits on my face with the adjustment of the forehead angle.

I find the Activa allows me more freedom of movement (side and belly sleeping easily). The LT cussion seems harder than the Activa one.

Something I haven't try is to put the Activa cusion (size Regular) instead of the LT cushion (medium). Maybe this will give me the solution for the leaks.

That's only my oppinion, all this depends on your face shape.

The Dreamer

Post by The Dreamer » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:40 am

As for me the Activa is the most comfortable mask that I've ever used.

Ron

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:41 am

The Activa is well liked by many and seals easily (it doesn't have to be tightened a lot).

My experience was that this nasal mask caused a sore directly under and between my nares because of the accordion type movement from the bellows. I concluded that because of the 2 pressures on my bi-level it caused the mask to move (in/out) with each breath causing a friction sore.

Another thing worth mentioning is the design makes the mask extend out a good amount making it feel like I had a beak or maybe a trunk.

YMMV

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

Robespierre

Post by Robespierre » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:47 am

Between a highly experienced RT and myself, we couldn't get the Activa to seal when I was sitting quietly upright in a chair. After all the good things I had read here about the Activa, I was quite disappointed.

Luc

Post by Luc » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:27 am

rosacer wrote:... I have had unable to stops leaks with LT (0.06 l/min)...
Rosacer, 0.06 l/min is excellent for the LT as far as leakage goes. It can go up to 25 before it becomes an issue. I have never had a "zero" leak night. There is always some leakage but as long as it`s below 25, all is well.

Cheers,

Luc

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:38 am

Robespierre wrote:Between a highly experienced RT and myself, we couldn't get the Activa to seal when I was sitting quietly upright in a chair. After all the good things I had read here about the Activa, I was quite disappointed.
That is likely due to the "Elephant trunk" weight of the Activa. Esp. when sitting.

Any RT who has exp. would have you try any mask in your sleeping position and at FULL pressure.

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

pdean44

Post by pdean44 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:49 am

I am very new to the cpap scene. I am using the Mirage Activa LT and find it pretty comfortable.

"Things turn out the best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out"
-- JOHN WOODEN --

rosacer

Post by rosacer » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:33 pm

Luc

I know 0.06 l/min is very low but you know what, I have a very picky body . I need to have AI not bigger than 0.3 and HI not more than 2.6 other ways I feel tired

With a leak of that amount I have highers AI and HI then I feel tired . Maybe the real problem is my pressure is too low or there is a positionnal issue. I'm working on that, I have been on cpap only since mid-December.

With the Activa not the LT, I have almost all the time cero leaks. If the mask is clean and my skin has almost no oil, for sure I have a hard time stopping leaks. My face arond the nose need to have a little amount of oil, not a dry skin if I will get cero leaks that night.

The Activa LT can be a very good mask too, the problem is my low nose bridge. I'm lucky the size Regular cushion exists on the Activa.

Rosie
Montreal

DaveMunson

Post by DaveMunson » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:34 pm

The Activa is a poor mask for low pressures. It is an VERY GOOD mask for high pressures. The Activa LT is the same but EXCELLENT for high pressures. It (the LT) is lighter, smaller billows and less air blows out the front, is easier to sleep on your side than the regular Activa. It is excellent for diffusing the air; I can sleep under the covers on my side with it. The regular Activa blows air straight out the front and there is no way you could ever sleep under covers. On you side is much more difficult because of the larger billows - and not as secure as the LT.

I used the Activa for 5 years and switch to the LT late last year and would not go back.

newname

Post by newname » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:46 pm

I searched for a comfortable mask for 3 years until I finally got the Activa LT . It's the best and it's now interchangeable with REsmed's gel in case you want to change around every once in a while.

rheumrn

Post by rheumrn » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:51 pm

I have been using the new "improved" Activa Lt mask- size small. The improvement seems to be that Resmed changed the forehead selection dial. It is now gray instead of clear and it seems to be flatter that the older version. I won the improved mask at auction but have not been able to locate the new mask at DME yet.

I think that the Activa Lt "suctions" onto my face and provides a better seal than most masks. I can turn on my side with no mask leaks. My pressure is set for a 9 to 17 range and the Activa Lt handles the pressure fine.

I did purchase the Mirage Softgel cushion as well (in small) so that I can change out with the Activa Lt. I like the option of using either cushion.

amos

Post by amos » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:58 pm

I absolutely agree with Gumby. NEVER...NEVER....NEVER try on a mask sitting up. I can not even imagine a RT/Sales rep making such a dumb mistake. Always try on the mask while reclining at your prescribed pressure.

Oh, and I love the Activa/Activa LT.

amos