Resmed & Authorized Internet Retailers

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
hotdax

Resmed & Authorized Internet Retailers

Post by hotdax » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:35 am

Update: 3/2/09 7:30pm. The provider mysleepmask.com is correcting the situation and sending me an H4i. I should receive it in a 1 -1 1/2 weeks. They are an authorized provider. There is no way to tell if a dealer is an authorized ResMed dealer unless you call ResMed. Even then ResMed may give you the wrong info - mysleepmask.com went from unauthorized to oh yeah they're authorized 3 hours later. Having authorized dealers is a good thing: it provides reassurance to the consumer that they are buying a new product with a valid warranty and are not being ripped off by a fly-by-night website.

Note: I changed the title post again to relect the current situation.

Note: I changed the post title from the original "resmed h4i: manufacture problems? defects? Is it being sold?" on 3/2/09. This topic has evolved from 'does resmed have a problem' to 'there's no problem with the H4i'. As this situation is changing by the moment I will post updates to this topic thread unless a moderator wants to change it. Thanks to everyone for helping me out!

I just bought from and rec'd my ResMed S8 Elite II Autoset from an online Resmed Internet Preferred Provider. I wanted the H4i humidifer but they shipped the H3i (even though when I purchased it they said it was a H4i). When I called to get it switched, they said that they (the provider) and ResMed was having problems with it and it was pulled from the market and thus they only have the H3i. I accepted their excuse because I was desperate for a good nights sleep: my Fisher & Paykel CPAP was not working for me anymore. Now I'm reading the forums and it looks like there's no problem with the H4i. Were they lying to me? I paid for this machine out of pocket ($1,030 with $25 refunded for difference between H4i & H3i).

If they were lying or 'stretching the truth' because they don't have the product what should I do? I've been using it since Wed 2/25. I feel like an idiot but I was soooo desperate for the machine because I hadn't sleep well in a week and have surgery on 3/4. I did a 2 week test on the H4i and the humidification worked better - I don't really like it heated and the H4i was perfect in that sense. The H3i is too hot, even on low. What should I do?

Sandy
Last edited by hotdax on Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.

JimW203

Re: ResMed H4i: Manufacture problems? defects? Is it being sold?

Post by JimW203 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:55 am

I just sent an email to ResMed saying that I had been told that the H4i had been withdrawn from the US market; I asked if it was a total recall and what they would be replacing the units with other than the H3i.

I'll let you know if I hear anything. It matters to me because I have an H4i and certainly would not want to replace it with the H3i.

JimW203

SharkBait
Location: Texas -- the ugly part... El Paso? No, not quite THAT ugly...

Post by SharkBait » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:38 pm

Yes keep us posted. I'm guessing that some company got a GREAT deal on H3i's and is doing everything they can to push them. I'm guessing it's kind of hard to mess up a heated humidifier, especially when you're in the 3rd or 4th generation of said humidifier.

Encore Pro 1.8.49; Encore Pro Analyzer 0.8.9 by James Skinner
SnuggleHose - Got the 8 foot and cut it down to 6, used the rest for mask hoses.
Memory Foam Pillow - Cut my own out of my Tempur-pedic pillow. (works great!)
Hose Mgmt - Velcro Tie Strap

spitintheocean

Post by spitintheocean » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:47 pm

My Autostart II machine is still on trial from the DME and includes the H4I. I've only used it for three nights but wondered about how quickly the humidifier empties. My setting has been at 3.5 (on the dial of I to VI) so hardly at full bore, but the reservoir is empty each morning after only six/seven hours of operation.

Maybe my pressure of 16.2 combined with a mask leak rate of .48L/s is contributing to the rapid dissipation rate, or maybe the burner plate is just overheating the water thus converting it to vapour at too swift a rate.

Life is something to do when you can't get to sleep.
Fran Lebowitz

JimW203

Post by JimW203 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:03 pm

spitintheocean wrote:My Autostart II machine is still on trial from the DME and includes the H4I. I've only used it for three nights but wondered about how quickly the humidifier empties. My setting has been at 3.5 (on the dial of I to VI) so hardly at full bore, but the reservoir is empty each morning after only six/seven hours of operation.

Maybe my pressure of 16.2 combined with a mask leak rate of .48L/s is contributing to the rapid dissipation rate, or maybe the burner plate is just overheating the water thus converting it to vapour at too swift a rate.
It may be a combination of factors: ambient temperature in the room; relative humidity in the room; and as you suggested, leak and pressure. If you keep the room fairly cold, that could affect the depletion rate. Perhaps notching it back a half step may help. Six to seven hours suggests to me that you may to get up in the night to use the John - if so, perhaps you could top off the tank at that time (just don't, in your sleep-induced stupor, confuse the two operations )

JimW203

kopoloff

Post by kopoloff » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:19 pm

I've been using an H4i since the start of December. It was a quantum leap over the H3; much more consistent, easier to clean etc. I've had no prolems with it at all. I think a direct approach to Resmed in Australia is the go

I have had good results contacting them on
reception@resmed.com.au
Good luck

K

Nephi

Post by Nephi » Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:10 pm

I just started last night using the H4i with the Autoset II. Seemed to work fine. I started at 3.5 but turned it down to 2. It used maybe a third of the tank during the night. It took my DME almost 3 weeks to get everything approved, ordered and shipped. The DME claimed that resmed was slow to fill orders. So far it seems like a great setup.

Mike

Mike

sleeplessinaz

Post by sleeplessinaz » Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:58 pm

Apria just ordered the H4i for me and said it would be shipped in a few weeks directly from Resmed--so, no I have not heard of any problems with getting yet. I will keep you posted when it arrives and how it works. I hope they do not ship the H3i--I already have that.

Carrie

APAP setting is 6 to 12
HH 2.5
Side Sleeper
HypoThyroidism & Diabetes
New Airsense autoset 12/08/14

billbolton

Post by billbolton » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:16 pm

hotdax wrote:Were they lying to me?
On the balance of probablities... yes!

Unfortunately, from the number of posts seen here over several years participation, there are just too many stories about US DME's saying things which suits their self interest rather than their patient's interest.

Cheers,

Bill

hotdax

Post by hotdax » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:15 pm

I just sent the following email to resmed (I blocked out the vendor name for this post). I'll post the answer when I get it.:

I recently purchased a ResMed S8 Elite Autoset II with an H4i heated humifier from XYZ.com, a ResMed Preferred Internet Provider. When I received the unit it came with a H3i and not the ordered H4i. When I called XYZ.com to tell them there was a shipping error they replied that they as a DME and ResMed had experienced problems with the H4i and thus ResMed was no longer shipping them and was therefore not available for purchase. They also thanked me for pointing out the typo in their website and they changed their site from H4i to H3i.

I would like ResMed to clarify this issue. Are you selling the H4i? Are there problems with them?

If the H4i is on the market how can I exchange my H3i for it? I have used the machine for 3 nights and do not find the H3i as good as the H4i I used during a two week test. I wanted the H4i and was disappointed when I didn't receive it. I accepted XYZ.com's explanation until I started reading the CPAP forums and noticed that a lot of people were using the H4i.

I especially choose XYZ.com because they were a ResMed Preferred Internet Providerand as such expect ResMed to live up to the expectations layed out on your ResMed Internet Preferred Provider website.

SharkBait
Location: Texas -- the ugly part... El Paso? No, not quite THAT ugly...

Post by SharkBait » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:21 pm

hotdax wrote:I just sent the following email to resmed (I blocked out the vendor name for this post). I'll post the answer when I get it.:

I recently purchased a ResMed S8 Elite Autoset II with an H4i heated humifier from XYZ.com, a ResMed Preferred Internet Provider. When I received the unit it came with a H3i and not the ordered H4i. When I called XYZ.com to tell them there was a shipping error they replied that they as a DME and ResMed had experienced problems with the H4i and thus ResMed was no longer shipping them and was therefore not available for purchase. They also thanked me for pointing out the typo in their website and they changed their site from H4i to H3i.

I would like ResMed to clarify this issue. Are you selling the H4i? Are there problems with them?

If the H4i is on the market how can I exchange my H3i for it? I have used the machine for 3 nights and do not find the H3i as good as the H4i I used during a two week test. I wanted the H4i and was disappointed when I didn't receive it. I accepted XYZ.com's explanation until I started reading the CPAP forums and noticed that a lot of people were using the H4i.

I especially choose XYZ.com because they were a ResMed Preferred Internet Providerand as such expect ResMed to live up to the expectations layed out on your ResMed Internet Preferred Provider website.
Interestingly, cpap.com doesn't carry the H4i either. I've been assuming that they too got a truck load deal and had decided to move out the H3I's before stocking the H4i's. Surely they can buy H4i's just like cpap-supply can...

I don't understand why you would want to hide the name of the site from others. If they were right then they will be proved so anyway, and if they were wrong then I'd want others to be aware of them...

Encore Pro 1.8.49; Encore Pro Analyzer 0.8.9 by James Skinner
SnuggleHose - Got the 8 foot and cut it down to 6, used the rest for mask hoses.
Memory Foam Pillow - Cut my own out of my Tempur-pedic pillow. (works great!)
Hose Mgmt - Velcro Tie Strap

Debjax

Post by Debjax » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:25 pm

Hubby got his machine in late January, my M series Pro was swapped for the Resmed about 2 weeks after that. Both of us received H4i humidifiers.

I'm still hot....it just comes in flashes...
iMob Friend Code - 179-961-093

MrSandman

Post by MrSandman » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:33 pm

The worse thing of all is the price you paid. You can get it right now for $595.00 from http://www.directhomemedical.com with the H4I or try and get cpap.com to match that price. The H4I works VERY well.
MrSandman - Send me a dream...

Hey, I wanted a cool name related to sleep...

hotdax

Post by hotdax » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:24 pm

I don't want to reveal the supplier's name at this point because it's Saturday and I haven't heard from ResMed. I will reveal the suppliers name once I get ResMed's answer. What if XYZ.com is right and that's why cpap.com doesn't sell them either? It wouldn't be the first time a company tried to keep a problem quiet.

hotdax

Post by hotdax » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:42 pm

The other problem I see here is the ResMed Preferred Internet Provider. ResMed states:
Approved ResMed Preferred Internet Providers are committed to providing high-quality care with the goal of improving patient outcomes by selling authentic, unadulterated ResMed products and by providing professional service for therapy usage and ongoing compliance. All products purchased from a ResMed Preferred Internet Provider come with the manufacturer's standard warranty.
But they don't list the approved dealers they just tell you to look for the blue circle. I followed ResMed's instructions and they lead me to XYZ.com and now ResMed needs to support their statement:
ResMed’s internet policy is just one example of how we are committed to supporting patient care and the value of HME services