Battery recomendations

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
looking4zzzz

Battery recomendations

Post by looking4zzzz » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:08 pm

I never thought about what to do if the power went out, until everyone here began mentioning it. What are the battery recommendations for my machine, and please be specific, 'cause electricity is NOT my specialty. Does anyone have the Respironics battery? Is a deep charge marine battery the same as a deep cycle marine battery? What would I need to hook the battery to my machine? What safety concerns should I be aware of? Are there other things I should asking but don't know to ask?

Thanks in advance.

SleepyNoMore

Re: Battery recomendations

Post by SleepyNoMore » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:16 pm

Welcome,

You can go to cpap.com and click on the cpap machine you use, scrool the page and there will be a link you can click on to check out the battery, they are quite pricey though.

Alot of the guys here use cycle batteries, they are so creative and imaginative, but i'm not that brave, I would have to wait and save some cash to buy one that goes with it.

The guys will be along shortly to help you out!

Goodluck...

Thank You "SNOREDOG" will live in our Hearts forever...

May you always have
Love to Share,
Health to Spare,
and Friends that Care. :)

bdp522

Post by bdp522 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:02 am

Here are some Rested Gal links on Battery operaton. Hope it helps.

viewtopic.php?t=9682

Brenda

RipVW

Post by RipVW » Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:39 am

These batteries are great (though a bit pricey!). I purchased the C-222 from cpap.com (they price matched the best price I found on the Internet).

http://www.batterygeek.net/v/vspfiles/C ... PAod9i9Adg

Check out my chinstrap--> http://cpapchinstraps.com

looking4zzzz

Post by looking4zzzz » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:15 am

Thanks for the info so far. The link list is very helpful, and I am wading through them all, but I'm having a hard time visualizing the set-up. Does anyone have pictures of how they have it set up...so I could actually see what's connected to the battery terminals, how the cigarette lighter plug is used, etc. That would really help me a lot. Thanks again!

Bearded_One

Post by Bearded_One » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:17 am

I also have a Battery Geek C-222 and I have used it with an auto M. The battery is essentially a heavy box the size of a large book with a cigarette lighter outlet on it. The battery comes with a battery charger, power cable, and an assortment of DC plug adapters. You plug the cigarette lighter plug end of the cable into the battery and plug the other end into your CPAP, just like you plug the power brick cable into the CPAP.

leswar

Post by leswar » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:22 am

I've been using the C-222 battery from BatteryGeek with my RemStarPRo M series - it works great. I've taken it camping several times now. However, it seems that the whole thing is a lot louder when I'm using the battery. Is this my imagination or is there a good reason for it? It makes it harder for me to fall asleep. It seems the only difference is, I'm not using the humidifier portion of the CPAP. Any thoughts on why it might be louder with the battery?

RipVW

Post by RipVW » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:13 am

I haven't noticed any difference--I do use my humidifiers (including with the battery), but I never turn on the heat--I prefer cool moistened air rather than warmed air. I can detect no difference in my machine's sound whether running from the AC or the C-222 battery.
Check out my chinstrap--> http://cpapchinstraps.com

Bearded_One

Post by Bearded_One » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:34 am

My guess is that the humidifier works as a sort of muffler. I have an empty water chamber from a P-B passover humidifier that I stuffed with polyester that I use with my auto M to quiet it down.

Pineapple

Post by Pineapple » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:08 pm

leswar,

Where is your CPAP in relation to your body when you're camping? I've noticed that it does sound louder when I'm camping (and using the battery) but I attribute this to the fact that at home, my CPAP sits 2 feet below my head (on a footstool near the floor) while when I'm camping, it's sitting basically beside me.

While I do own a battery-geek (it's great for hiking or anywhere you have to "trek" your equiptment in), I have also tried and had luck with the Black & Decker 400. I was able to push the thing for 5 nights on DC (no humidfier on the CPAP - DC inverter from cpap.com). It's heavy and bulkly, but if size is not an issue, I found it a good backup power source for the cost.

leswar

Post by leswar » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:54 pm

Well, it is closer to my head by about two feet - maybe that's it. Thanks for the thoughts. Maybe I"ll try wrapping it in something but leaving the intake clear. I'm going camping this weekend for 4 nights - the most nights in a row I've used the battery.

Where is your CPAP in relation to your body when you're camping? I've noticed that it does sound louder when I'm camping (and using the battery) but I attribute this to the fact that at home, my CPAP sits 2 feet below my head (on a footstool near the floor) while when I'm camping, it's sitting basically beside me.

feeling_better

Post by feeling_better » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:52 pm

Does anybody here use the Respironics battery pack with M-series? Do you know what type of batteries are used in that and how many cells? What is the voltage of the battery after it has been fully charged? I wish to know how high voltage might be tolerated safely by the M-series.
Resmed S9 Elite cpap mode, H5i Humidifier, Swift FX Bella L nasal pillows

Bearded_One

Post by Bearded_One » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:26 pm

CPAPs should be able to easily tolerate 14 volts. A fully charged lead-acid battery provides 13.8 volts.

feeling_better

Post by feeling_better » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:50 am

Bearded_One wrote:CPAPs should be able to easily tolerate 14 volts. A fully charged lead-acid battery provides 13.8 volts.
I would think so too. It would be nice to know what the manufacturer actually use

I am considering using a LiIo 4-cell pack which I already have; it can have close to 16v for a while at the beginning, though most of the capacity would be around 14v afterwards. Could put a regulator in, but wondering if that is really needed.
Resmed S9 Elite cpap mode, H5i Humidifier, Swift FX Bella L nasal pillows

Hawthorne

Post by Hawthorne » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:15 pm

Would an UPS work for an M Series machine (passover humidity)? Some here have said it does. If so, how many hours, at a time, would a good one last?

I'm not very knowledgeable about this kind of thing so have to ask some other questions -

Would that kick in, uninterrupted, if the power went off in the night?
Would I keep it connected to the machine all the time?
Do UPS recharge themselves if they remain plugged into the machine and the wall of course?
Our power outages are USUALLY short lived (maybe a few hours at most and not very often).

What would be a good one for my purposes?
Thanks.

Additional Comments:  Backups- FX Nano masks. Backup machine- Airmini auto travel cpap