request for advice from full face mask users

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
sharon1965

request for advice from full face mask users

Post by sharon1965 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:05 pm

ok guys, looking for some feedback here

after a year on cpap, i went back in for another sleep study the other night...the tech woke me no less than 4 times, which really sucked, but it especially sucked when she slapped a nasty chin strap on me because i was mouth breathing...i was too out of it to ask if it was a new one, or one they had hanging around for multiple users (blech) and spent the whole next day shuddering at the thought...ok, that's a different problem

and in the last two weeks i've had a few really good sinus attacks, which have made my nasal pillows pretty useless

so... since another 6 months is up and i can get a new mask with my coverage, i'm thinking about trying a full face mask...up till now i've been unable to use a nasal mask because of rosacea, which is very well controlled and i'd like to keep it that way...plus i can't stand the tickling feeling on my nose from the airflow...

but i know NOTHING about these, so i'm hoping some of you dedicated FF users could weigh in with some opinions or advice for me

thanks!
sharon1965

Woody

Full face mask

Post by Woody » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:37 pm

The sleep teck and I desided the first night that I had to have a full face mask. I was lucky that I didn't fight it. In fact during the study one of the
bed slats fell out. So there I was with a strange mask on my face and a
bed that was no longer flat took me almost 5 min to go back to sleep!
But some people feel a little claustrophobic using a full mask. I even had the opposit happen. For the first 3 months or so I felt unconfortable taking
it off when I got up. Oh! I tried using one of those chin straps and another
style mask but for me the chin strap felt a lot more confining than the full
mask. Good luck.

Woody

Tyrone Ga.

Additional Comments: SleapyHead software

sharon1965

Post by sharon1965 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:56 pm

well thanks woody...but what mask do you use?!

deglorious

Post by deglorious » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:56 pm

Hi Sharon, I started out with a nasal mask and kept having problems with my mouth hanging open. I tried an ace bandage but it just gave me a headache and I still was waking up every time my mouth opened.

I am now using the Mirage Quattro FF and I just love it. I do not feel like I am suffocating or anything like that. I get the opposite feeling, like I'm not wearing anything (I wish).

I'd never go back to a nasal mask after a ffm. My leak rates are very low and the only thing is I get forehead marks from the pads. But I have a new Padacheek pad that I will be trying tonight to see if that helps.

Try a ffm--you might like it!

Good luck,

Deglorious

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:11 pm

I use the ResMed Ultra Mirage Full Face Mask. This is a rather pricey mask
around $200 here in the states. I don't know if I would recomend it or not.
After 13 months of heavy use mine broke this morning. Well I have a backup mask but don't know wether to buy the small replacement part
for $39 or buy another mask. So I need some feedback on full face mask
also! By the way if you do get a full mask you need to find your propper
size.

Off topic does this spell checker work?

Woody

Tyrone ga. U.S.A.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:13 pm

I started with a ComfortFull "M", It promptly ate the bridge of my nose, from e using it too tight. A month later the lower clip broke, again from being poorly made and me pulling on it too hard.

That said: It worked well for me. I used the F & P 431, and I liked it better but my AHI was 3 points higher with it, and it slid around more the last part of the night. I would NOT try a hybrid, due to the high mask leak rate, I'd do better hookinh a hose to a trash can, and wearing that. Jim

Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

WearyOne

Post by WearyOne » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:28 pm

Hi, Sharon,

I really like the Hybrid, but since they have nasal pillows as well as covering the mouth, that might not work for you with your sinus issues right now. Liberty mask is made the same way, although the Liberty doesn't work very well for me.

My backup is the UMFF, and that works well for me as well. I just find the Hybrid stays in place better for me. Some people don't do well with higher vent rates like the Hybrid has, but I tend to do better with them. (The newer Hybrid shells have a bit lower vent rate.)

The F&P FF masks don't seal well for me, and neither did the Zzz-Mask by Probasics.

I'd love to try the Quattro, but can't afford it right now.

Good luck!

Pam

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): seal, Nasal Pillows

clk-2

full face mask

Post by clk-2 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:01 am

Well here is my two cents worth of opinion.

I use a full face mask. I have mild claustrophobia and it took a while to get used to the mask but now I put it on and fall immediately asleep. I enjoy the freedom of being able to breath through either my mouth or nose.

I use a resmed mirage quattro full face mask. The sizing is different from other masks so be sure to call resmed and have them send you a sizing guide. My respiratory therapist used his standard sizing guide and ordered me a size small. That size kept falling off my small chin and did not seal well. I used the special sizing guide from resmed and discovered that I needed an extra-small. I have used the extra small for 4 months and sleep well. I do not have much problem with leakage but I do get a little bit of skin reaction from the silicon. It does put some pressure marks on my face in the morning but that is due more to the pillow pressing on the mask and they go away in an hour or so. I do not like the piece that goes up to my forehead and wish they would do away with that portion of the mask.

I am interested in trying some of the other full face masks. I did try the mirage liberty full face but could not breath through the nasal pillows. I did have some minor leakage problems with the liberty.

clk

mindy

Post by mindy » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:45 am

Hi Sharon,

I have a Quattro and like it but ... the sizing is an issue for me. Lengthwise, the small is too small and the medium is just a bit too large. My DME thought "medium", cpap.com's measuring guide said "small". So sometimes I can get it to seal well and others I can't get it seal for beans. If it fit me better I'd love it.

My sleep lab let me borrow the various masks they have, for about a week each. And no worry about bleccch ... they put all that stuff in that special disinfectant solution!

They first tried me with the FP432. Lovely mask, so soft and cushy but as soon as I laid down it wouldn't stay sealed. I think that one was also a length issue. Also tried UMFF and can't remember what else.

Don't let my experience discourage you! Just remember it can take some experimenting to find and get used to a full-face mask that works for you.

Good luck!
Mindy

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
--- Author unknown

RiverDave

Post by RiverDave » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:45 am

Sharon,

Quattro user here. I really like it, but as others have said the sizing is different. I would not buy one without physically trying one on. Three drawbacks I have found:

1. for me the cushion tends become less effective after about a month or two. It still works, but I notice I have to adjust the straps more frequently.

2. the the lower strap of the headgear rides a little low (on the neck), but to make the mask seal, it need to be on the head - just a slight modification to the headgear fixes this.

3. I have had to use the teflon tape fix on both of mine and this needs to be redone about once a month to maintain zero leakage from the elbow.

I also use the Soyala FFM. It's a great mask, but it doesn't vent CO2 as fast as I would like. If it did, it would be my first choice. I will say that I am a little more sensitive to CO2 than the average bear.

Just my opinions, and good luck

sharon1965

Post by sharon1965 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:24 am

hey everyone, thanks for these great responses!

my dme lets me try masks for pretty much as long as it takes me to figure out i don't like them (weak inventory system? works for me! ) so i'll collect a list of suggestions and head on down there soon

thanks again! keep 'em coming!

sharon

andy88488

Post by andy88488 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:26 am

Sharon,

I've been liking my Resmed Ultra Mirage a lot. Ironically, when I first got it, I somehow managed to chew up the bridge of my nose pretty badly. But I let that heal, loosened up everything, then tried it again.

I find it comfortable, and it doesn't leak much.

I do still use a chin strap, because if my mouth really gapes open, it can drop outside of the mask.

Hope this helps,

Andy

lvwildcat

Post by lvwildcat » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:06 am

Sharon I used the flexifit 431 when I used a full mask. Some people really like the 432;others hate it-it has a rigid insert. What I liked about the 431 is that it sits underneath your chin so it really stayed put. I did have to hold the mask and adjust it a bit each time I turned over.

jsmythe

Post by jsmythe » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:09 am

I have the UMFF, usually have leak problems either at the lower corners or in the eyes. I had the Quatrro for a week and had the same leak problems on lower face with it. When I think about it now, I wonder if the DME even gave me the correct size in the Quattro . I had the small, but now wonder if an Extra Small would have worked.

I can feel the air blowing upward on my lips constantly with the UMFF, I very rarely use it because of this. I cant stand feeling the air blowing on my face.I can only speak for these two as far as feeling the air inside the mask.

I liked the FP432, but since there is no clip to hold the cushion on, I kept pulling the cushion loose from the frame and had massive leakage! Also, the FPs also sorta zero in on the bridge of your nose and makes it sore.

I prefer the Activa nasal mask over all others for the great seal and the fact that you cannot feel the air at all inside the cushion. And can have the straps very loose for a good seal. I cannot even feel it on my face most of the time.

Here are some great comments on the air flow in Quatrro and UMFF:

viewtopic.php?p=234968&highlight=#234968

I would like to give the Quattro a second chance, maybe in a smaller size.

Started using cpap Sept. 12, 2007
Respironics PR System One Bi-Pap Auto w/Flex,pressure of 9/15, do not use ramp

mindy

Post by mindy » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:33 am

lvwildcat wrote:Sharon I used the flexifit 431 when I used a full mask. Some people really like the 432;others hate it-it has a rigid insert. What I liked about the 431 is that it sits underneath your chin so it really stayed put. I did have to hold the mask and adjust it a bit each time I turned over.
The 432 also sits underneath the chin and it felt very comfy; it didn't leak at all when I was sitting up but I couldn't get it to stop leaking when I lay down (and sleep tech couldn't either).

Mindy

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
--- Author unknown