Hybrid feedback anybody?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
geoDoug

Hybrid feedback anybody?

Post by geoDoug » Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:27 pm

I've decided that my next step in mask-experimentation is going to be a hybrid. There are two main reasons for this. First, I can't handle the leakage of air into my eyes. So for the sake of compliance I need to try nasal pillows. Second, I tend to leak out my mouth. (And I don't feel like getting a chinstrap. Not sure why.) So that said, any folks out there who have hybrids, are there any you are in love with? The candidates right now:

The mirage liberty from ResMed
The universal hybrid from Teleflex Medical

I'm leaning toward the universal hybrid because the purchase includes all three sizes of cushions and pillows. This gives me more opportunity to experiment. The liberty only comes in two sizes, which means tells me that there's less flexibility in finding a good fit.

Does anybody else have experience with either of those mask or other hybrids they like? (Or warnings to stay away from certain hybrids?)

Doug.

tillymarigold

Post by tillymarigold » Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:40 pm

I'm sure someone else will tell you this, but the Hybrid is a mask model name referring to the Teleflex mask. I believe the type of mask is called "full-face with nasal pillows."

I have the Hybrid and I like it, but it is very leaky especially around the nasal pillows if they're rotated just a teeny bit wrong. I've stopped sleeping on my back (which I used to do about a third of the time) because I've found the best way to stop leaks is to smush my face into the pillow.

It took me awhile to get used to the headgear and it is a pain with long hair but from your pic I doubt you'll have that problem (but there are other issues with it as well).

I love my Hybrid and I've heard of very few people who like the Liberty (in fact, I can't recall any at all). Then again, my DME said I was the first patient they'd had who liked the Hybrid.

The Hybrid does have a chin flap and it pretty much holds my mouth closed so I breathe only through my nose. Some people cut the flap off, especially if they have very long faces.

geoDoug

oops

Post by geoDoug » Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:57 pm

tillymarigold wrote:I'm sure someone else will tell you this, but the Hybrid is a mask model name referring to the Teleflex mask. I believe the type of mask is called "full-face with nasal pillows."
Well that was embarrassing. I thought hybrid was a mask type, not a particular brand. Thanks for setting me straight.

Doug.

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): Nasal Pillows

roster

Post by roster » Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:20 pm

The Hybrid (http://www.respcare.com/hybrid/) works great for me and leaks are rare. If you follow some of my posts you will see that I use it with the chin flap removed. But I do recommend new users give it a fair try with the chin flap.

If you get one, post back here with questions.

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

jabberwock

Post by jabberwock » Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:37 pm

I wore the Hybrid for a couple of weeks and really liked it. I got the nasal pillows adjusted just right after a couple of tries, and I liked the snug fit of the mouthpiece with the chin flap. The chin flap could get a little sweaty at times, and if I had kept it I likely would have found a way to put something between my chin and the flap to absorb the moisture.

Unfortunately, I am mostly a stomach sleeper and toss and turn a lot. Since the mouthpiece is relatively wide, I would occasionally knock it out of place and get a large enough leak to make a difference to my therapy, and sometimes wake me. I didn't know this until I got a data-capable machine which showed some pretty frequent leaks.

If it hadn't been for that, I think it would have been my favourite. I really tried it just in case I ever needed a full face mask due to congestion with a cold for example, but if it wasn't for the leaks, it was so comfortable I would have worn it all the time.

Good luck with it!

Bonnie

S-Dubya

Post by S-Dubya » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:20 am

I've tried 6 or 7 masks and the Hybrid is absolutely the best I have used. Very few leaks. Very comfortable - I don't have to over-tighten the headgear. I also like that I get the advantages of a full-face mask with a much smaller footprint on my face.

I truly great mask!

bdp522

Post by bdp522 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:23 am

I love my hybrid. I think it is truly my favorite mask. Unfortunately, I'm allergic to it. I get huge red marks that last for days. It was by far the most comfortable mask for me.

Brenda

Bones

Post by Bones » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:00 am

The Hybrid, like any other mask, works very well for some and not at all for others. I used one for 2 1/2 months and just couldn't make it work. I tried every fix and tweak I read about for it to no avail. I even spent money on the new headgear last fall and it still didn't work. That headgear should have been free as the original was such a piece of crap. I know there are many who use and like the Hybrid, but to me it was an over priced torture device.

I have no experience with the Liberty. I'm using an Activa and a chin strap and doing very well with that set up. Good luck with whatever you decide on.

Brian

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:07 am

The Hybrid is a favorite among some. As you already pointed out, it offers more sizes and adjustments than the Liberty (I have not tried the Liberty).

If you do get a Hybrid, beware of buying used as they have updated both the headgear (twice) and the CO2 ports since it's introduction about a year ago. So make sure you get a newer model.

If the avatar is a picture of you, you may need to cut off the chin flap since you appear to have a long chin. A long chin will make it difficult to get the nasal pillows to seal properly.

Also keep in mind, as with most FF type masks, you may need to up the humidification in order to mitigate dry mouth.

President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

geoDoug

Thank you all for your feedback

Post by geoDoug » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:35 am

Bones wrote:The Hybrid, like any other mask, works very well for some and not at all for others.
Very aware of this. The reason I threw it out there was to find out if there would be an overwhelming reaction one way or the other, knowing that a normal response would be mixed. It seems like it was a pretty normal reaction. I think I'm going to get a universal hybrid.

Doug.

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:54 am

Also forgot to mention that the ResMed inlet tube may come in handy for managing hose-to-Hybrid attachment (not just for Hybrid but also for many other mask interfaces too ... a must for the serious hoser ). You may be able to find it for less $$ at places other than our sponsor.

BTW -

Does your "geo" stand for geography, geology, geophysics, or geodessy?

President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

geoDoug

Post by geoDoug » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:03 am

DreamStalker wrote:Does your "geo" stand for geography, geology, geophysics, or geodessy?
None of the above. It's pronounced gooeyDoug. It's a pun on my alma mater's mascot--the geoduck (say it with me: "gooeyduck").

Given how many times I've had to explain that in the last couple of months, I'm probably going to change my handle to gooeyDoug. I figure that it's close enough (and with my avatar) people will know who it is. I've gotta create a new email address, since I found out that I can't have more than one account with the same email address. Makes enough sense.

Either that, or I could just put it in my signature. That would be a lot easier.

Doug.

roster

Post by roster » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:04 am

[quote="DreamStalker"]...............

Also keep in mind, as with most FF type masks, you may need to up the humidification in order to mitigate dry mouth.

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

roster

Post by roster » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:13 am

Keep the username, change the avatar to a geoduck. That's cool, now that I know what it means:

http://www.evergreen.edu/athletics/geoduck.htm

Dig deep/sleep deep/breathe deep.

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:19 am

I like the Hybrid mask itself. The headgear (evan the new one) sucks big time. Having had a problem with the original headgear I called and was sent the new head gear. Guess what, it probably has the worst Velcro that I have ever encountered. After using the mask for a month I dare you to try and put put the mask on without a piece of the Velcro popping loose.
What a shame that such a simple thing as headgear would turn you against a mask.