Contributors Qualifications

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
dataq1

Contributors Qualifications

Post by dataq1 » Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:40 pm

What are the qualifications for contributors on this forum to be dispensing advice or counsel to users?

I've noticed (in other forum threads) that some contributors speak derisively of medical professionals, Cpap equipment manufacturers, DMEs, and licensed therapists.
I can understand a forum contributor sharing their own anecdotal experiences, but to broadly generalize is something else and ought be accompanied by some assertion of competency or training.

To be clear, I'm referring to statements like:
5AHI threshold: it's 'good enough' for medical people, who don't care about your health anyway.

Sleep docs and techs: "they simply don't care".

What are the qualifications for contributors on this forum to be dispensing advice or counsel to users?

What would be useful to forum readers is if contributors would clearly indicate what is opinion versus what is fact.
"THE INFORMATION PROVIDED ON CPAPTALK.COM IS NOT INTENDED NOR RECOMMENDED AS A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE."

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Contributors Qualifications

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:54 pm

Experience, and observation.
Often first-hand suffering.
Some have seen ivory towers--we do not hold that against them.
We call it medical "practice" because it is always changing, always improving.
The sensible ones know it has not been perfected, nor is it ever likely.

Respirator99

Post by Respirator99 » Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:05 am

There are no qualifications required to post something on the internet. Apart from one or two exceptions, none of us have medical qualifications, just lived experience and an opinion.

Maybe there should be a standard disclaimer to protect unsuspecting newbies, but nobody much pays attention to those anyway. I think I'll update my signature.
* Download Oscar
* Oscar help
* An alternative to Oscar - try SleepHQ

I have no medical training or qualifications. Take my advice for what it's worth.

Morbius

Post by Morbius » Sun Feb 06, 2022 4:13 am

dataq1 wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:40 pm

Yeah, it's blank because I'm reading between the lines.

So what you want is verifiably expert advice, and free?

kteague

Post by kteague » Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:48 am

You're right about sometimes there are generalizations that aren't an accurate representation of everyone being maligned. Stereotypes are like that. If you are reading a post from one who has yet to have a doctor, RT, or DME that truly helped them, they are speaking on their experience that 100% of those medical professionals were of no help. Doesn't mean none in the world are helpful. On a community forum the default assumption is the "grain of salt" thing. Hang around a while and you begin to see who the knowledgeable players are. The ones dispensing bad advice - they'll get called out. There's a few on here whose advice on interpretation of data is worth its weight in gold. Me, just a user who has gleaned some good info from anecdotal evidence.

Jlfinkels

Post by Jlfinkels » Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:59 am

Qualifications? Like all social media, it is up to the reader to discern using common sense. If folks want advice from medical professionals they know where to get it. In a litigation centric society those formally qualified will rarely dispense advice outside a controlled environment for legal protections.

Sometimes it is the very people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one imagines

CyberSpiff

Post by CyberSpiff » Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:06 am

dataq1 wrote:
FFS. It’s the internet mate.
There is no right or wrong side of the road. There is only the road.

dataq1

Post by dataq1 » Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:25 am

@ all above:
Does anyone here have medical credentials? Anyone at all?
Or, as having been suggested above, the disparaging remarks of medical professionals (or other contributors) be understood as rantings of malcontents?
Or, as someone else recently said, "a social media" outlet?

There is nothing at all problematic with a contributor sharing their own experiences, and what worked (or not) for them. But expanding their personal experience as a medical diagnosis, and or advice or direction to others is of questionable helpfulness.

So.... Any medical professionals (credentialed) here?
"THE INFORMATION PROVIDED ON CPAPTALK.COM IS NOT INTENDED NOR RECOMMENDED AS A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE."

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:41 am

If you want guaranteed medical advice....see a doctor or medical profession that YOU trust.
Otherwise what you get on any forum is a person's opinion or thoughts usually based on their own experience or education or whatever. No one is under any obligation to provide how or why they came up with those thoughts or opinions.
No one has to provide any fancy letters after their names to "prove" that they might "know" what they are talking about.

No where in any disclaimers on the internet various forums for cpap stuff does it ever mention that someone has to be "medically qualified" in order to post an opinion, thought or advice.

Not to mention that "medically qualified" isn't a guarantee that someone isn't an idiot spouting totally BS ideas. That's a whole other can of worms. Just because someone has a bunch of fancy letters after their name doesn't mean they walk on water and everything they say should be taken as the gospel and can never ever be just blatantly wrong.
Plus...even among "medically qualified" people...people can have differing opinions about just about anything related to cpap.

Huge YMMV sticker always on everything.

You know all those user agreements we all have to agree to in order to be members of a forum that no one ever really bothers to read???? They clearly state that anything said shouldn't be construed as medical advice.

Common sense folks...I know it is sometimes in short supply but it would be greatly beneficial if people would try to find some to draw upon.

From cpaptalk.com forum
No Medical Advice; No Guarantees

You recognize and agree that the content made available through CPAPtalk.com is for informational purposes only and is not intended to be taken and should not in any way be construed as medical advice or counseling or as the practice of medicine or as the creation of a physician-patient relationship with CPAPtalk.com. Users should never use any CPAPtalk.com resources in place of seeking professional advice from a licensed medical practitioner. We make no guarantees, promises, or predictions of success regarding any of the services or resources offered through CPAPtalk.com.
Not to mention the disclaimer at the bottom of EVERY page here.
disclaimer.PNG
Or from Jason's forum

6. In general, we are here to educate you enough that you can communicate effectively with your health care professional about your sleep. We are NOT a substitute for your Physician or Sleep Professional. We encourage you to learn as much as you can and then use that knowledge to ask more informed questions of your physician regarding your treatment.
Or from the apneaboard forum
11. Information contained on this website and forums should not be considered as medical advice. Always seek the advice of a qualified physician before seeking treatment for any medical condition, including Sleep Apnea. Always seek the advice of a qualified physician before changing pressure or other settings on any medical device, including CPAP machines.
It's in the terms of agreement that you agreed to when you created an account in this or any other forum.
Obviously a CYA legal thing that everyone does...but it is still important for people to understand that when they ask for thoughts or ideas from people on the internet that what they are getting are thoughts and ideas or opinion based on whatever....and no where does it ever say that people HAVE to provide how they came up with those thoughts, opinions or ideas...or advice.

Heck even if someone did have some fancy letters after their name...who in their right mind would advertise it here on a forum where people often misconstrue what someone says???? In this day of lawsuits for the least little thing....that's why those legal disclaimers are posted and we all have to agree to them to even post anything.

If you want absolute 100% guarantee of accuracy of anything....go to a medical professional that YOU trust and I hope you understand that even then they aren't God and they can be wrong at time. No one is ever 100% perfect in anything.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

babydinosnoreless

Post by babydinosnoreless » Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:45 am

dataq1 wrote:

I've noticed (in other forum threads) that some contributors speak derisively of medical professionals, Cpap equipment manufacturers, DMEs, and licensed therapists.
I can understand a forum contributor sharing their own anecdotal experiences, but to broadly generalize is something else and ought be accompanied by some assertion of competency or training.

To be clear, I'm referring to statements like:
5AHI threshold: it's 'good enough' for medical people, who don't care about your health anyway.

Sleep docs and techs: "they simply don't care".

What would be useful to forum readers is if contributors would clearly indicate what is opinion versus what is fact.
Its called the 1st amendment pal. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:46 am

dataq1 wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:25 am

Actually we do have a few here as members but they are under no obligation to advertise the fact at all.

Just because you want to know....doesn't mean much and they are under no obligation to satisfy your curiosity.

Accept it and move on.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

babydinosnoreless

Post by babydinosnoreless » Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:47 am

dataq1 wrote:
@ all above:
Or, as having been suggested above, the disparaging remarks of medical professionals (or other contributors) be understood as rantings of malcontents?

There is nothing at all problematic with a contributor sharing their own experiences, and what worked (or not) for them. But expanding their personal experience as a medical diagnosis, and or advice or direction to others is of questionable helpfulness.

If anyone is, they are not going to admit it. That would open them up to being sued.

Conrad

Post by Conrad » Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:55 am

dataq1 wrote:
@ all above:

What exactly do you expect for the price of admission to this site? These folks are here because they want to help others with similar issues. They enjoy helping. They've helped me and if you don't like the way it's done here, I'm sure that you'd be able to find the door, don't let it hit you on the way out.
ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto Swift FX

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many...

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:30 am

zonker

Post by zonker » Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:00 pm

people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg