Hose cleaning

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Tyrlaan

Hose cleaning

Post by Tyrlaan » Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:06 pm

Apologies for potential redundancy here, but trying to sort out a bit of a two part issue/question.

I have been in the camp of not cleaning the hose. However, last night I noticed there are small spots of grime that have built up inside the two ends (the connection to the machine and the connection to the mask).

Which leads me to, at this point I'm assuming it's worth cleaning it, but I'm not convinced soaking it in warm soapy water will get this stuff out, or am I wrong? If I'm right, is there another method I should use? OR... is it better to just buy a new hose?

Most folks on the forum seem to not bother cleaning the hose and say nothing really gets in it other than the filtered air that pumps through it, so I have to assume there's something I'm doing wrong in general to have lead to this in the first place. Curious if anyone has thoughts on where I might be going wrong? (for example, I replace the filter when I remember, not on a set schedule, is that bad? I leave the machine and hose out on my nightstand, is that bad?)

Thanks!

Grumpy48

Re: Hose cleaning

Post by Grumpy48 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:00 pm

When I get the ambition up to give my mask and headgear a full bath I usually clean the hose as well. The hose cleaning consists of putting a couple drops of Dawn dish liquid into hose, filling it with hot water from the tap, and then 'sloshing' the water in the hose back and forth (alternately raising/lowering each end of the hose). This is followed by a rinse of running hot water through the hose and hanging to dry outside on a sunny day. The cleaned mask and hose do have a fresher scent in use after the cleaning. Whether cleaning the hose actually cleans anything I don't know, but it doesn't take a lot of time and I feel it's better than doing nothing. No idea what the 'grime' might be (Are you using tap water or from a well. Mineral deposits?), but maybe worth a try to clean the hose and see if it is removed. If it's not removed then decide if a new hose would set your mind at ease.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:13 pm

Is the hose in question a heated hose or non heated hose...and how old is it?
Is the dark spot in question on the rubber connecting part or inside and on the inner wall of the hose?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Tyrlaan

Post by Tyrlaan » Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:27 pm

Grumpy48 wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:00 pm
When I get the ambition up to give my mask and headgear a full bath I usually clean the hose as well. The hose cleaning consists of putting a couple drops of Dawn dish liquid into hose, filling it with hot water from the tap, and then 'sloshing' the water in the hose back and forth (alternately raising/lowering each end of the hose). This is followed by a rinse of running hot water through the hose and hanging to dry outside on a sunny day. The cleaned mask and hose do have a fresher scent in use after the cleaning. Whether cleaning the hose actually cleans anything I don't know, but it doesn't take a lot of time and I feel it's better than doing nothing. No idea what the 'grime' might be (Are you using tap water or from a well. Mineral deposits?), but maybe worth a try to clean the hose and see if it is removed. If it's not removed then decide if a new hose would set your mind at ease.
Thanks. I use distilled water exclusively, so it's not that. I think my biggest concern is if the grime is mold.
Pugsy wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:13 pm
Is the hose in question a heated hose or non heated hose...and how old is it?
Is the dark spot in question on the rubber connecting part or inside and on the inner wall of the hose?
Heated hose. Probably 2-ish years old. Maybe 3?

So on the end that connects to the machine, it's on the hard white plastic part, just inside of it. On the end that connects to the facemask, it's in the clear plastic section all the way at the end (which is how I noticed any of this, since it's transparent).

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:40 pm

I once used a heated hose for well over 15,000 hours of use and NEVER washed it...I never had any sort of spots develop.
It got retired because I got a new machine that it was incompatible with.

Now I did have a couple of tiny black appearing spots come up on a non heated hose many years ago on the rubber connecting parts.
When I see black...I also tend to think "OMG mold" and the hose had been through 2 machines (long before heated hoses were available) so since non heated hoses are cheap...trash can and I got a new hose. Back then (when I first started therapy in 2009) I actually did wash my hose fairly regularly. Go figure that one. :lol:

I don't know that you necessarily have done anything wrong that could have prevented the spots...and we don't know for sure it is mold but even Medicare will replace a hose after 6 months of use and I tend to lean towards getting a new hose.
Maybe then trying a good scrubbing with a soft cloth or something to see if it comes off or not and then maybe save the hose for emergency spare if it comes clean. Sometimes this stuff just gets stained and it really isn't mold but just a stain from something but since we don't really have a for sure way to identify what it is I tend to lean towards being extra careful.
I always try to have a spare hose handy just in case I tear the hose or the cat decides it's a new play toy.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Tyrlaan

Post by Tyrlaan » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:05 pm

I actually described the mask end poorly (though you probably figured it out!). The clear plastic bit is the elbow connector between the mask and the hose, so technically not the hose itself.

I went with ordering a replacement. I tried washing out just the connector, but it's a major pain trying to get into that thing. I went with a soapy paper towel and got most of it out. Figure I'm using it for a least a few more days, so might as well clean out what I can.

Passport in-hand

Post by Passport in-hand » Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:24 am

My Model: Resmed AC10 VAuto
REGARDING HOSE CLEANING: My personal 'rule-of-thumb' - if you don't like it, well... I've used this method for a while now and it seems to work for me. If you disagree, well then... you disagree. There's more than one way to clean a hose.
1. Replace your hose every 6-months. On Amazon or eBay, it's only $25-$35. Sometimes I can find it for $20. If you resort to your DME, some will cost more. If you see spots after 6-months, throw it away - easy - problem solved - however folks don't look at it that way.. Some will disagree, but that's what I do. Think of it like this... your sucking air through this hose for 6-8hrs a day!
2. WATER TANK: Once a week I rinse and 'air dry' my water tub. Every other week I wash and rinse with dawn liquid soap. I live in a humid environment (May-October). When my water tub is about to run low (4-5 days), I empty out the remaining and 'air it out'. I replace my tank once a year. Think of it like this... your sucking air through this hose for 6-8hrs a day!
3A. Hose: Once a week, I flush warm water through it (using hand-held shower), 1-min, each way. Hang dry and 'air fan' for 2-hours. I've had 'nay-sayers' denying about air fanning my tube ("Oh, you're recontaminating your tube by air dust etc") - again, it's worked for me and no contaminating issues. I've never had spots in my tube. No respiratory issues!
3B. Hose: every other week, I use 70% isopropyl alcohol, fill the hose (50% of the hose volume), with both ends 'up' 'swish for 1-min. Hang dry for a few minutes. Then repeat 3A to thoroughly remove all alcohol.
4. Change your machine filter! Depending how dusty or smokey your house is, change it often. I change mine monthly. My house is quite dust-free and I don't smoke. Filters are cheap. Think of it like this... your sucking air through this hose for 6-8hrs a day!

This particular hose model does not allow use for a hose brush due to the 'stopper' at one end and the right-angle bend at the other.. Why is there a stopper at one end? Ask Resmed! Most probably to stiffen the 'straight-end' whilst attached to the mask. Who knows - and I don't care.

For the folks who disagree on using isopropyl alcohol I learned this method from a sleep tech. (BTW Resmed paper work doesn't recommend using alcohol because it might 'eat-away', or affect the hose material or PAP equipment) Interesting: isopropyl alcohol vs plastic? Hmmm.. interesting! What material 'bottle' does isopropyl come in?

Summary: I've used this method for several years. No moldy smell, no spots, no issues.
REMEMBER: your sucking air through this hose for 6-8hrs a day! So keep it clean or replace it! If not... well then... you'll be on another PAP forum whining about the spots, smells etc! Good luck with that!
RESMED AIRCURVE 10 VAUTO
Nasal: Fisher and Paykel Eson 1
PAP user since 2014

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:46 am

Passport in-hand wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:24 am
Think of it like this... your sucking air through this hose for 6-8hrs a day!
Passport in-hand wrote:
Passport in-hand wrote:
REMEMBER: your sucking air through this hose for 6-8hrs a day!
Passport in-hand wrote:
Repeating the same nonsense four times, doesn't make it any more valid
Passport in-hand wrote:
Why is there a stopper at one end? Ask Resmed! Most probably to stiffen the 'straight-end' whilst attached to the mask. Who knows - and I don't care.
It's not a "stopper" and it's not there to "stiffen the 'straight-end'", it's the temperature sensor for the thermostat on ResMed Heated hoses.

Perhaps you should have repeated that three more times.
Passport in-hand wrote:
Summary: I've used this method for several years. No moldy smell, no spots, no issues.
REMEMBER: your sucking air through this hose for 6-8hrs a day! So keep it clean or replace it! If not... well then... you'll be on another PAP forum whining about the spots, smells etc! Good luck with that!
Filling landfills with crap that won't break down for millions of years and keeping the prices high, especially for those without insurance and low income, is irresponsible.

Passport in-hand

Post by Passport in-hand » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:20 am

Hey Dog Slobber! Thanks for reading my post! 😁
Yes, Love to repeat my thoughts! Why, most most folks start commenting before the read the entire post - unlike yourself, of course. And yes, it doesn't make my comment valid. You're absolutely right! It puts my point across. And BTW yes... we suck through this hose 6-8 hours/day. Some folks do more and some less - but yes, that's right 6-8 hours a day. I guess you have a problem with that statement? 6-8 hours perday? How long do you suck per night Dog? If it's something different please tell us? Think of it like this... your sucking air through this hose for 6-8hrs a day!
As I mentioned, 'I don't care'. I guess you didn't read that part huh?
Filling landfills with crap that won't break down for millions of years and keeping the prices high, especially for those without insurance and low income, is irresponsible.
Really? You're gonna go there? Save your key strokes.. And stroke something else!

Again, thank you so very much for reading our posts and providing such uplifting environmental remainders.
What else you got? What other short-snappy comments (like many of your comments) you got to uplift your ego and to validate your well being? Com'on let's hear it! Type up something else to make yourself look smart! Comment on something so all the readers can genuflect on your wisdom! Go ahead, make yourself the 'king of cpap talk'. But that's it huh? Typing short snappy comments... is the essence of you? Nothing fundamentally helpful to add? You can cut/paste my quotes as well. Just like you did before to remind all reader that you are thoroughly 'full of' wisdom. Go ahead... pound my comments to the ground - because that's what you do? Gosh! Right about now you're probably smiling... thirsting at the bits to type-up something smart, something sharpe... all to make you feel good! Go ahead - pound me to the ground! It will make you feel good! It will make you a better person... Because that's who you are. In the end of the day... your sucking air through this hose for 6-8hrs a day!
Last edited by Passport in-hand on Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
RESMED AIRCURVE 10 VAUTO
PAP user since 2014

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:23 am

This, coming from a guy who hasn't figured out how to edit his post without repeating it.

Passport in-hand

Post by Passport in-hand » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:26 am

To the other readers... exactly! Just short snappy comments! Nothing fundamentally helpful. With the exception of environmental issues - Dog will preach to you about this!
RESMED AIRCURVE 10 VAUTO
PAP user since 2014

zonker

Post by zonker » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:03 am

Passport in-hand wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:26 am
To the other readers... exactly! Just short snappy comments! Nothing fundamentally helpful. With the exception of environmental issues - Dog will preach to you about this!
no, there is more, if you would take the time to read the comment rather than just go off on environmental issues-
Dog Slobber wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:46 am

but you read what you want to read.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

rdfry

Post by rdfry » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:47 am

Dude what you do is a complete waste of time. I have been on xpap over twenty years and none of what you do is necessary that is why you should have kept that to yourself.
Mask: bleep and F30i
Machine: Resmed S10 Autoset

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:55 pm

Passport in-hand wrote:
Some will disagree, but that's what I do.
Yes, because it's dumb to do that.
Passport in-hand wrote:
I replace my tank once a year.
Do you throw away your dishes on some stupid arbitrary schedule? Maybe you throw out all the furniture in your house, think of it like this, you're breathing air 24 hours a day that's been polluted by the dander and skin flakes that've settled in your furniture, and OMG your carpets!
Passport in-hand wrote:
it's worked for me
literally, nobody cares.
Passport in-hand wrote:
and no contaminating issues. I've never had spots in my tube. No respiratory issues!
THROW IT AWAY!
Passport in-hand wrote:
Think of it like this...
Does the term "broken record" mean anything at all to you?
No? I didn't think so.
Passport in-hand wrote:
Who knows - and I don't care.
Then why ask?
Passport in-hand wrote:
For the folks who disagree on using isopropyl alcohol I learned this method from a sleep tech.
Oh yeah, and sleep techs NEVER give out stupid advice... :roll: :roll: :roll:
Passport in-hand wrote:
(BTW Resmed paper work doesn't recommend using alcohol because it might 'eat-away', or affect the hose material or PAP equipment) Interesting: isopropyl alcohol vs plastic? Hmmm.. interesting! What material 'bottle' does isopropyl come in?
Would you believe that there's a whole bunch of different plastics, and what the hose is made of is NOT the same as what the alcohol bottle is made of?
Passport in-hand wrote:
Summary: garbage.
Spot on.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:57 pm

Passport in-hand wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:20 am
Hey Dog Slobber! Thanks for reading my post! 😁
Yes, Love to repeat my thoughts! Why, most most folks start commenting before the read the entire post - unlike yourself, of course. And yes, it doesn't make my comment valid. You're absolutely right! It puts my point across.
All I get out of it is that you're a fool that likes to see himself babble on a forum.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.