COVID-19 Face covering question

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Tigger

COVID-19 Face covering question

Post by Tigger » Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:42 pm

Hello CPAP Members, I am just throwing this out there to see your thoughts about COVID -19 and face masks. While wearing the mask can be troublesome, I understand it is the new world we live in.
While we are trying to force air into our lungs, the masks are restricting air flow.

Is having sleep apnea considered a respiratory condition?

Has anyone on this forum asked their doctor if they can have a letter stating that they are not forced to wear a mask due to medical condition?

Again, I am curious of the responses. And please do not read into this question that I am above the rest of the population and do not need to wear the mask.
I will always wear a mask when required to mitigate the spread of this terrible virus.

Thanks for your input.

raisedfist

Re: COVID-19 Face covering question

Post by raisedfist » Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:54 pm

Sleep apnea has nothing to do with being able to breathe properly during the day

PS Min 6, PS Max 18, EPAP Min 4, EPAP Max 12

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:07 pm

Sleep apnea is considered a sleep condition and not a respiratory condition.
Respiratory conditions are when there's a problem with the lungs functioning or exchange of gases or stuff like that.
So sleep apnea by itself doesn't affect our breathing except when asleep. When we are awake we breathe normally without impairment of function and that means no respiratory conditions.

As far as mask's restricting breathing or moving enough air. I suppose it might depend on the type of mask being used.
Those N95 masks probably do restrict air movement but the cloth mask that I have doesn't.

Even if I were to try to use a N95 mask while out in public and it was a bit restrictive short term...it can be pulled away briefly to help move air and in the back of my mind would be the fact that if a doctor or nurse could wear one continuously for 8 to 12 hours along with all the other confining gear they wear....I can stand it for an hour or two if I was out in public in close contact with people.

Most people aren't going to be elbow to elbow with others for prolonged periods of time where it would be that critical that the mask not be at least loosened a bit.

Unless a person has to use a more restrictive mask like the N95 for some reason (work maybe) I would just use a homemade cloth mask that allows for plenty of air movement when in a situation where they might be very close to people.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:53 pm

Inconvenient and uncomfortable is still preferable to DEAD.
-- -or the guilt if somebody got sick or died because of my carelessness or SELFISHNESS.
Physical comfort takes a back seat to RESPONSIBILITY.
---Or are you one of THOSE people?
I pity those who are.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:19 pm

Tigger wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:42 pm
Hello CPAP Members, I am just throwing this out there to see your thoughts about COVID -19 and face masks. While wearing the mask can be troublesome, I understand it is the new world we live in.
While we are trying to force air into our lungs, the masks are restricting air flow.

Is having sleep apnea considered a respiratory condition?

Has anyone on this forum asked their doctor if they can have a letter stating that they are not forced to wear a mask due to medical condition?

Again, I am curious of the responses. And please do not read into this question that I am above the rest of the population and do not need to wear the mask.
I will always wear a mask when required to mitigate the spread of this terrible virus.

Thanks for your input.
Don't be a dumbass, protect people around you, wear a mask.

Trying to claim "medical condition" is just sociopathic.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:28 pm

I have seen people wearing FF cpap masks walking around in stores. I guess it meets the requirements.
Happiness is being on Dog Slobber pr & zonkers foe list
CrankyGranny is Whale Road + many other ids
They are here to help.
zonkers + palerider aka GrumpyHere wrote: What exactly do you think you're adding to this thread?

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:21 pm

Tigger wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:42 pm
And please do not read into this question that I am above the rest of the population and do not need to wear the mask.
-.png
-.png (192.76 KiB) Viewed 1210 times

zonker

Post by zonker » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:11 pm

settle down, guys. he clearly said in his original post-

"Again, I am curious of the responses. And please do not read into this question that I am above the rest of the population and do not need to wear the mask.
I will always wear a mask when required to mitigate the spread of this terrible virus."

it's not like he's dodging any responsibility.

myself, i think it's a reasonable question to ask.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:33 pm

zonker wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:11 pm
settle down, guys. he clearly said in his original post-

"Again, I am curious of the responses. And please do not read into this question that I am above the rest of the population and do not need to wear the mask.
I will always wear a mask when required to mitigate the spread of this terrible virus."

it's not like he's dodging any responsibility.

myself, i think it's a reasonable question to ask.
Sounds like someone looking for an excuse, no matter what disclaimers they stick on it...

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:01 pm

palerider wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:33 pm
Sounds like someone looking for an excuse, no matter what disclaimers they stick on it...
Maybe or maybe "a friend" or spouse or family member is looking for an excuse or whatever. Time to educate just in case someone else was having similar thoughts for whatever reason.
People come up with some rather strange ideas sometimes and I have to shake my head in wonders as to "where in the hell did that come from".
Had that happen to me just today with a question about COVID treatment from a friend of mine. I won't go into it as it doesn't matter but was a totally weird incorrect thought he was thinking.

I did get as chance to talk to hubby about the N95 mask. His company provided him one to use because some places he delivers to require that all drivers be wearing one when inside their facilities.
He says it is a bit difficult to move air through the N95 mask but fortunately he doesn't have to wear it for very long. He says there is no real distress using it though.
He did say that the ones that make him wonder about IQ levels are the drivers he sees going down the road wearing a N95 mask while driving the truck...all alone in the truck. :lol: :lol:

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:50 pm

Unconscious people should not wear a cloth/paper mask. Certain forms of mentally ill or mentally incapacitated people who would find it cruelly disturbing should not be medically calmed in an attempt to force them to wear such a mask. Other than that . . .

Well, I guess mentally ill is becoming much harder to define in regards to these matters.

But the people with physical medical conditions that make mask-wearing most difficult also happen to be the very same people most in need of protection from the virus. That means that if your lung condition prevents comfortable use of a mask for the protection of others, you are too at risk yourself to have any valid reason to risk your own life being out in public without a self-protection form of mask anyway.
Last edited by jnk... on Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

khauser

Post by khauser » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:51 pm

I have some R95 masks... it includes protection from oil particulates. It is fairly trying to wear for any length of time, especially performing even mild physical exercise.

I've talked to a few musical professionals during covid. They're wearing an n95 with a surgical mask on top (to prolong the life of the n95). It's quite trying for them and they're in excellent shape.

No one is going to change minds with insults. Education may seem like the slow way but it's the only way that works.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:05 pm

khauser wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:51 pm
Education may seem like the slow way but it's the only way that works.
Some people simply don't want to learn, can't be educated and won't listen to science or hell...even common sense.
Even education doesn't always work but I agree it's a better option than throwing stones and pissing someone off so they won't listen to common sense reasoning or attempt at education.

OP original question was essentially "does having sleep apnea earn you the right to get doctor's note to get out of wearing a mask."
The answer is "no" and I explained the rationale behind why it is a "no". It's not a respiratory disease or condition.

I didn't see the need to throw stones. I don't like to throw stones until there is a proven (to me) need. Since my crystal ball is still broken I couldn't get into the OP's mind to see exactly what was going on and I opted to give the benefit of the doubt and not pick up a stone.
Other people...they feel differently than I do about things or maybe their crystal balls aren't broken like mine so they pick up some stones. Personally I wish people weren't quite so quick to go picking up stones. I save my stones for the real bad guys. :lol:

khauser

Post by khauser » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:39 pm

I hope you didn't think my reply was directed at you in any way, that's not the case.

And I agree that some (many) people refuse to learn, but it's better to use facts because others will see it.

Negativity just pushed people away, imho

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:02 pm

khauser wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:39 pm
I hope you didn't think my reply was directed at you in any way, that's not the case.
No, no...not at all. I was agreeing with you and then I climbed up on my soapbox to give a speech to no one in particular. :lol: :lol: