Covid-19 - Extra Protection from CPAP?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ChicagoGranny

Covid-19 - Extra Protection from CPAP?

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:43 am

Does anyone else feel they are especially protected compared to people who don't even have sleep apnea? As I understand, covid-19 can come with a lot of nasal congestion. I feel if I contracted covid-19, CPAP would really help with the congestion problems.

However, I'm well into the elderly group, so maybe I will wake up dead anyway.

babydinosnoreless

Re: Covid-19 - Extra Protection from CPAP?

Post by babydinosnoreless » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:10 am

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:43 am
Does anyone else feel they are especially protected compared to people who don't even have sleep apnea? As I understand, covid-19 can come with a lot of nasal congestion. I feel if I contracted covid-19, CPAP would really help with the congestion problems.

However, I'm well into the elderly group, so maybe I will wake up dead anyway.
There is a shortage of the paper masks here. I was thinking I could always dig out one of the full face cpap masks and wear it around. :lol: :lol:

Seriously tho not super concerned. We are already reaching into the 80's here. If warmer temps really does kills it, like many experts are saying it shouldn't be a really big problem here. Crossing fingers.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:43 am

One thing I saw somewhere was the theory that it isn't cooler temps that necessarily help spread flu and {and possibly covid-19), rather, it's the fact that people are more likely to be grouped more indoors when it's cold, instead of spread out, in the outdoors in warmer weather.

I thought that was interesting.

I can't see CPAP as being any sort of "protection" (unless wearing it when around other people) but it might make recovery easier.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

raisedfist

Post by raisedfist » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:46 am

Well, if I ended up with the virus, I would be in a hospital, so I don't think I would find my machine very useful :mrgreen:.

PS Min 6, PS Max 18, EPAP Min 4, EPAP Max 12

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:48 am

World Health Organization

When To Use a Mask

- If you are healthy, you only need to wear a mask if you are taking care of a person with suspected 2019-nCoV infection.

- Wear a mask if you are coughing or sneezing.

https://www.who.int/emergencies/disease ... -use-masks

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:03 pm

One thing I saw somewhere was the theory that it isn't cooler temps that necessarily help spread flu and {and possibly covid-19), rather, it's the fact that people are more likely to be grouped more indoors when it's cold, instead of spread out, in the outdoors in warmer weather.
^Old science as far as I know.
In conclusion, using a mouse model system, we have demonstrated that a temperature-dependent host–virus interaction contributes significantly to the temperature-dependent growth phenotype of rhinovirus, an important respiratory pathogen and the most frequent cause of the common cold. We show that lowering the temperature changes the virus–host interaction, leading to a reduced innate immune response by infected airway cells. We also show that the innate immune competency of host cells is a critical determinant of the temperature range permissive for RV replication.
https://www.pnas.org/content/112/3/827
Our results show that a decrease in temperature and AH (absolute humidity) is associated with the increased occurrence of HRV (human rhinovirus) infections. In contrast, the risk of HRV infections is reduced at subfreezing temperatures and higher AH. The information is applicable to all populations residing in moderate or cold climates. Individuals and healthcare professionals need to be aware of lowered temperature and humidity as contributing factors in the development of HRV infections. Appropriate whole-body and respiratory protection may reduce potential cold-related adverse respiratory health effects.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5035958/

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:59 pm

I am being much more careful about cleaning my CPAP (with vinegar, not with any "fancy" machine). I don't know if that would help with this epidemic in any way, but I'm doing it.

I don't think that using a CPAP machine would do anything to prevent my from catching or spreading this virus. However, using it might help ameliorate symptoms and allow me to recover.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:02 pm

raisedfist wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:46 am
Well, if I ended up with the virus, I would be in a hospital, so I don't think I would find my machine very useful :mrgreen:.
Why not?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:09 pm

Every time I've been to the hospital, they have managed to screw something up.
That's BEFORE they generate the statement--which is ALWAYS wrong.
I would consider it a miracle if I survived the care of Drs. Howard and Fine,
Much less the bumbling of our local hospitals.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:28 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:03 pm
^Old science as far as I know.
In conclusion, using a mouse model system, we have demonstrated that a temperature-dependent host–virus interaction contributes significantly to the temperature-dependent growth phenotype of rhinovirus, an important respiratory pathogen and the most frequent cause of the common cold. We show that lowering the temperature changes the virus–host interaction, leading to a reduced innate immune response by infected airway cells. We also show that the innate immune competency of host cells is a critical determinant of the temperature range permissive for RV replication.
https://www.pnas.org/content/112/3/827
Our results show that a decrease in temperature and AH (absolute humidity) is associated with the increased occurrence of HRV (human rhinovirus) infections. In contrast, the risk of HRV infections is reduced at subfreezing temperatures and higher AH. The information is applicable to all populations residing in moderate or cold climates. Individuals and healthcare professionals need to be aware of lowered temperature and humidity as contributing factors in the development of HRV infections. Appropriate whole-body and respiratory protection may reduce potential cold-related adverse respiratory health effects.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5035958/
How bout finding a study about the idea of CPAP somehow magically protecting you from covid-19?

squid13

Post by squid13 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:29 pm

Wash your hands is what they stress,and for 20 seconds so I count to 20 when I wash my hands. I'm glad it's only 20 cause if it was 21 I'd be up that creek cause 20 is all I know. :lol: :lol: :lol:

US Navy Retired 1973,AirCurve 10 ASV, Mode: ASV Auto, Min EPAP: 7.2, Max EPAP: 15.0, Min PS:4.0, Max PS: 15.0, Mask ResMed Airtouch F20, Backup: (2) AirCurve 10 ASV

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:37 pm

squid13 wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:29 pm
Wash your hands is what they stress,and for 20 seconds so I count to 20 when I wash my hands. I'm glad it's only 20 cause if it was 21 I'd be up that creek cause 20 is all I know. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wash your hands, cough into your elbow... shaking hands is probably a bad idea (even worse than usual), don't touch your mouth, nose, eyes.

raisedfist

Post by raisedfist » Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:00 pm

palerider wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:02 pm
raisedfist wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:46 am
Why not?
The last time I was real sick I became lucky enough to get pneumonia in all the lobes of my lungs, and ended up intubated for about 10 days. My baseline respiratory function already sucks, so any little bug has a decent chance of polishing me off for good :lol:.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:04 pm

raisedfist wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:00 pm
... of polishing me off for good :lol:.
At least you'll be all nice and shiny! :lol: :lol: :lol:

raisedfist

Post by raisedfist » Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:26 pm

palerider wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:04 pm
raisedfist wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:00 pm
... of polishing me off for good :lol:.
At least you'll be all nice and shiny! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I am sure my mom would appreciate that very much :P