Resmed machines dirty inside

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Pauses

Resmed machines dirty inside

Post by Pauses » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:00 pm

I haven’t even received my Resmed for her and I see these get dirty inside the machine by the fan and motor. I belong to a group on Facebook. One of the guys was having trouble with his and took it apart, only to find dust and dirt or mold inside the main machine. Has anyone else had this problem or heard of it? I have allergies and do not need more particles throw down my respiratory system. I am so upset.
ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset for her
AirFit P10 nasal pillows

TropicalDiver

Re: Resmed machines dirty inside

Post by TropicalDiver » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:27 pm

With all due respect, you are worrying about something that is likely not an issue for you. I will let others who regularly tear into machine describe what they find. (I also very strongly suspect that air from around the outside of the motor is not what is is actually expelled out into the hose; but will let others verify that)

So, the issues describe would not be specific to ResMed, Respironics, or any other brand. I have owned three machines (two new, one used), have severe asthma, and have had zero issues. Here is what I do: a) I empty the humidifier every morning and leave it to air dry in another room. Mold loves moisture. b) I replace the filter regularly and do not run it without a filter in place.

If I was super concerned (and I am not) or symptomatic, I might pull apart the unit and blow it out on occasion. Oh, I also suspect many instances of mold begin by moving the unit with water still in the humidifier. That then can get into the unit and bat things happen.
Machine: Aircurve 10 Vauto (Prior S9 VPAP)
Mask: Quattro Air FFM and AirTouch F20 FFM

grayghost4

Post by grayghost4 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:11 pm

I have taken apart and cleaned quite a few machines. the only ones that have been dirty are from smokers homes, and they are hard to clean,

There is a filter on the intake of the ResMed machines, if you change it before it gets too dirty the machine will stay clean inside
If you're not part of the solution you're just scumming up the bottom of the beaker!

Get the Clinicians manual here : http://apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-press ... tup-manual

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:13 pm

Pauses wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:00 pm
I haven’t even received my Resmed for her and I see these get dirty inside the machine by the fan and motor. I belong to a group on Facebook. One of the guys was having trouble with his and took it apart, only to find dust and dirt or mold inside the main machine. Has anyone else had this problem or heard of it? I have allergies and do not need more particles throw down my respiratory system. I am so upset.
I would advise not moving in with that guy, sounds like he lives in filth! :( Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:17 pm

Pauses wrote:
Think about it...the air that goes through the CPAP is the same air you are breathing throughout the day in your home. The CPAP filters it before it goes into the machine, so it is actually cleaner than the air you are breathing in your home.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:27 pm

Pauses wrote:
Haven't you ever heard that most of facebook is lies and bullshit?

There's *nothing* to mold inside the machine. And if you make sure the filter is in place, very little dust can get in.

I've opened up *years old* Resmed machines and only found the tiniest dusting of fine dust particles.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

grayghost4

Post by grayghost4 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:47 pm

the facebook post is probably an add for noclean
If you're not part of the solution you're just scumming up the bottom of the beaker!

Get the Clinicians manual here : http://apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-press ... tup-manual

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:30 pm

grayghost4 wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:47 pm
the facebook post is probably an add for noclean
I agree 100%.
That poster is full of scat!

billbolton

Post by billbolton » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:59 pm

Pauses wrote:
I belong to a group on Facebook...... I am so upset.
Getting upset over facebook posts is pretty pointless. :shock:

See the posts above for the correct information. There is nothing to get upset about.

kteague

Post by kteague » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:32 am

TropicalDiver wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:27 pm
(I also very strongly suspect that air from around the outside of the motor is not what is is actually expelled out into the hose; but will let others verify that)
Anybody know the answer to that?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:34 am

kteague wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:32 am
TropicalDiver wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:27 pm
(I also very strongly suspect that air from around the outside of the motor is not what is is actually expelled out into the hose; but will let others verify that)
Anybody know the answer to that?
It's the same air but filtered through the machine's filter.
Room air goes into the machine....passes through the filter...through the humidifier(if used) and goes out to the mask.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Pauses

Post by Pauses » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:07 am

Thank you all, so much, for looking into to this. I feel a lot better! The guy that posted this was very upset. He was sending a sample off to determine what it really was. Originally, I sent a picture he had taken, but I guess it was to big. I’ve scoured many forums and have never seen anything like this. Again, thank you!
ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset for her
AirFit P10 nasal pillows

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:43 am

Assuming there is any truth to the Facebook post, I'm guessing he ran his machine without a filter for a while.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:12 am

If don't think that there's much too this. That is as long as nobody in your household smokes, and you don't live in an unusually dirty or dusty place.

However, if this worries you, you can take some or all of the following precautions:
1) Dump all the water every morning and make sure the machine and all components are dry.
2) Use only distilled water.
3) Once the machine is thoroughly dry, cover it or pack in the bag it came in until you're ready to use it again.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:24 am

Pauses wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:07 am
Thank you all, so much, for looking into to this. I feel a lot better! The guy that posted this was very upset. He was sending a sample off to determine what it really was. Originally, I sent a picture he had taken, but I guess it was to big. I’ve scoured many forums and have never seen anything like this. Again, thank you!
Like the story of Chicken Little, the poster may sincerely believe his assumption.
Please note the spelling of ASSumption . . .
The Internet is populated, in large part, by liars and fools.
We are in the minority, trying carefully not to contribute to the stupidity of the web.