Bed Recommendations

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
hecate

Bed Recommendations

Post by hecate » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:06 pm

Hi,

After spending three hours in the middle of the night emptying out my water bed after it sprung a leak I think it's time for a new type of bed. Anyone have any recommendations on what type of bed to get?

rock and roll

Post by rock and roll » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:22 pm

Yes! If you ever try a latex core memory foam bed you will be hooked for life. Nothing compares.

I am retired from the bedding industry. So I will not endorse a brand. But stay with a name brand and expect a hefty price. You get what you pay for. Do not settle for less than a 5 density preferably 6.
TripGuy

annie123

Post by annie123 » Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:11 pm

I have had a Simmons Beautrest for the last 6 years. It's still like brand new after nightly use.

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:26 pm

Hey, Rock And Roll, I appreciated your advice. I'm in the process now of buying a new bedroom suite and bedding.

I "thought" I knew what I wanted. I'm passing my solid cherry maple bedroom suite on down to my granddaughter and I wanted another solid wood bedroom suite to "pass down" in the family when I croak.

BUT, I fell in love w/this Tango brushed pewter look metal queen size bed, you see. And I've that when something jumps out from display and wraps its arms and legs around me shouting "buy me, buy me!" I never regret the purchase. Since I HATE to shop, that is usually the only time I DO buy.

Now I'm having a devil of a time deciding on chest of drawers, vanity and night stands!

AND - I haven't even gotten to the daunting task of selecting a mattress!! THAT one really has me stumped. I keep seeing ads for Tempurpedic (sp?) on TV so just assumed they were a rip-off. But I was surprised to find our better furniture stores are recommending the Tempurpedic or other "memory foam" type mattresses. Getting my hubby to go mattress shopping is ..... a chore, to put it extremely mildly. Besides which I don't think you can tell much w/o spending a full night on a mattress. I always thought we might like a water bed - until I slept on my mother's. That cured me of any interest in them! Even I had an achey back in the morning.

My husband has had 3 back surgeries and now has all his lumbar vertebrae fused w/steel rods. We've always had a FIRM mattress because of his back. But I"m finding my ole skinny hip bones don't particularly like the FIRM mattress anymore so I was thinking of a FIRM mattress w/pillow top. Hubby outweighs me by about 70 lbs. What type mattress (and spring?) do you suggest? Not brand, just type. Like I had no idea the memory foam came in different densities!

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

backdoc

Tempurpedic

Post by backdoc » Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:34 pm

I like my Tempurpedic.

Steve

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:46 pm

I'll second the latex type beds. CK out memoryfoam.com and read what they have to say. You don't have to buy from them but you can educate yourself about the options available for these types of beds.

btw - I have no association with them (financial or otherwise) except that I designed my own bed using their products.
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

JeffH

Post by JeffH » Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:24 pm

We have a Select Comfort Air bed. They are adjustable to each side and also have the extra thick top that I can't think of the name for.

This bed will get comfortable for anybody.

Ellen

select comfort bed

Post by Ellen » Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:35 pm

We have had every kind of mattress there is - the tempurpedic was comfortable but way too hot during sleep. We now have twin select comforts that are adjustable (not just the air for softness/hardness) but adjust fully at the feet and head. I have a very serious back/neck injury and it works great for me to elevate the bed slightly (from waist up). This helps my back, my neck, and my breathing.

Before Tempurpedic we had an expensive pillowtop that wasn't comfy for either of us. Select Comfort is not that expensive if you buy the standard (adjustable on each side) mattress and they have, I believe, a 20 year warranty.........................

Good luck

rock and roll

Post by rock and roll » Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:59 pm

Beds are so subjective, they are/are like opinions, everybody has their own but IMHO, I really suggest you go out and try some but after being in the business for many years, very few ever leave a latex cored memory foam after having one. If tempurature is a factor, Tempurpedic can be hot, but Comfor-pedic has cured tghat problem. Also, Tempurpedic has too on there more expensive ones by putting a dacron layer over the memory foam. Comfor-pedic has a different formulas for their foam. The bigger S companies have some good products as well. The secret is to have a Latex core and most don't. Good luck!
TripGuy

hhopper

Post by hhopper » Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:33 pm

JeffH wrote:We have a Select Comfort Air bed. They are adjustable to each side and also have the extra thick top that I can't think of the name for.

This bed will get comfortable for anybody.

I absolutely agree. The Select Comfort Sleep Number bed has been the most comfortable I've ever slept in, including memory foam. The bed we have has an extra thick pillow top and it raises up at the head and foot like the Craftmatic you see advertised all the time on TV.

This bed can be adjusted to match the feel of just about any other bed...very firm or very soft.

ejdischer

Post by ejdischer » Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:02 pm

My wife and I have a S&F. It's pretty soft and has a cashmere pillow top. In the summer, the bed doesn't overheat(thanks to the cashmere) and in the winter it's nice and warm. Great matress. When we bought it, I was hesitant because of the price, but next to my cpap machine, and my wife's engagement ring, it's the best investment I ever made.

EJD

sleepingBear

Post by sleepingBear » Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:49 pm

I think the select comfort is the best. I've had mine for 5 years and absolutely love the ability to change pressure when I feel like it, and each side can be adjusted independently.

Additional Comments: SleepyHead Software, previous machines Remstar PR System One 60 Series Auto, Remstar Auto M

Offerocker

Post by Offerocker » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:03 pm

I also have had extensive back surgery: Thoracic 9 through Lumbar 5, 9 total are fused.

My favorite bed was a heated waterbed! But, I got very tired of elimnating those doggone air bubbles and adding water all the time! (no leaks) I couldn't afford a Select Comfort or Stearns & Foster (but with my taste, I would have picked even their top of the lines ).

So, I 'made by own', and did some "lab ratting" : I already had a nice airbed, so put it on the waterbed frame, then covered it with 2 layers of lofty comforters, topped with a 2" piece of Memory Foam, with another comforter on top of that, for necessary air flow and washability.

So, I have the "fixin's" and features of the Select Comfort, held together by using a king size bottom sheet within the framework. Then, on top of that, I sleep on a soft blanket in the winter, or regular sheet (600tc of course, in the summer.

I do miss the water bed at times, but this is easier to 'get out of'. If I ever use the water bed again, I will look into raising the support for the bladder somewhat. I just HATED those darn AIR POCKETS!! But my back loved the comfort and warmth...even though it was a little difficult for me to turn from side to side (due to inflexibility of spine, against a conforming "mattress").
Tha air mattress is adjustable via button at top, if needed.

Respironics Auto C-Flex, HC-150, Activa, CL2 Simple Cushion, ComfortSleeve, Saline Snorter.

Saltydog

Post by Saltydog » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:49 pm

We have a latex foam bed with no memory foam portion. We really like it. I did not like the sinking in feeling of the memory foams that we looked at.

The latex has many holes in it to aid in cooling. It is not nearly as hot as I thought it might be and I am a warm sleeper.

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:15 pm

15+ years using a Select Comfort Pillow top. Only thing bad about this bed is when I travel and don't have it.

I paid $1700 for it over 15yrs ago, bought it direct, they UPS it to my house on that 120 day trial. I don't regret a dime of that purchase at all. During that time it has moved twice and it looks as good as the day I bought it. I do have your standard mattress cover over it.

I have the dual-chamber version with the wireless remote. About 2 years ago I purchased the adjustable bed frame for it (additional $1400 cost), it works fine for watching TV, but worthless to sleep with unless you sleep on your back, I sleep on my side and even my stomach, so with the bed raised my back doesn't seem to want to bend in that direction. So for me the adjustable frame was a waste. I will probably modify it so the liner articulator raises the head of the bed without bending in the middle or at the legs.

I highly recommend the Select Comfort bed, excellent quality and it works. There is no comparison to a conventional coil spring bed. If you have back pains or problems it will help with that also, I have a impenged L4 disc along with the sciatica that runs all the way down to my foot, that bed helps with it.