tsa and carry on water

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Leea

tsa and carry on water

Post by Leea » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:50 pm

Has anyone tried to carry on distilled water through TSA and of course I need more than 3.4 Oz. There is an exemption for medical liquids but I can't tell if distilled water qualifies. I can't check a bag so I have to carry it on if I am going to take it. It will be too awkward to buy some there. I will be arriving late and I want to be ready to go. You can buy water after TSA but I haven't seen distilled.
Lee

palerider

Re: tsa and carry on water

Post by palerider » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:35 am

Leea wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:50 pm
Has anyone tried to carry on distilled water through TSA and of course I need more than 3.4 Oz. There is an exemption for medical liquids but I can't tell if distilled water qualifies. I can't check a bag so I have to carry it on if I am going to take it. It will be too awkward to buy some there. I will be arriving late and I want to be ready to go. You can buy water after TSA but I haven't seen distilled.
Lee
The hip kids just use tap water when they get where they're going, and then do a vinegar rinse when they get back.

The only reason to use distilled water is to avoid mineral buildup.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:04 am

Which takes a longer time than most vacations or work trips.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:16 am

I would just use tap or bottled water the first night and maybe get some distilled the next day if convenient.

You could put distilled water in a bottled water container and pack it in your check in baggage...make sure lid is tight and even put the bottle in something for additional sealing...don't want it to leak of course.

I would just do tap water myself. Easier and it hurts nothing and one night is unlikely to even cause any mineral build up anyway.
Heck one week might not cause any build up ...it all depends on how hard the water is at where you will be.

I am going to Las Vegas to see my daughter over Christmas...will be there a week. Won't bother even buying any distilled for that week and I won't need to clean the water chamber with vinegar when I get back. Done this for years so I know there isn't any build up of minerals requiring the vinegar cleaning with the water....I hate the smell of vinegar. :lol: If there was build up...I would go buy some distilled water after I got there.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:03 am

Can't carry on water... folks!! No big deal. Just use tap water!

Sheriff

babydinosnoreless

Post by babydinosnoreless » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:25 am

Good to know about the vegas water. I am heading there this weekend. My daughter also lives there. :D

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:35 am

Cynmatthes wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:25 am
Good to know about the vegas water. I am heading there this weekend. My daughter also lives there. :D
Ask your daughter if she does any sort or water softening or filtration in her home. Most people do because the water is so hard there.
If she doesn't then just use bottled water.

Also it's not the end of the world if there is a little mineral deposit in the water chamber. It's easily removed with vinegar or if you are like me and don't care for the "aroma" of vinegar...a little lemon juice will do the same thing.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:59 am

For destinations other than the U.S. or Canada, I use any water that's safe to drink. Of course, don't use colored. flavored, or carbonated water.

Just make sure it's dry every morning and do a vinegar wash when you get home.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:27 am

D.H. wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:59 am
Just make sure it's dry every morning and do a vinegar wash when you get home.
Why? What if you don't like vinegar or might be allergic to it?
What if there isn't any minerals at all on the water chamber?

Stom

Post by Stom » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:18 pm

Leea wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:50 pm
Lee
You can put bottled water in your checked baggage, at risk of leaking in your luggage and of getting a more invasive search of your checked baggage.

https://www.tripsavvy.com/can-i-carry-l ... ge-2972625
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-scr ... ibring/all

I've heard tales of people getting prescriptions for distilled water and getting the prescription sticker on brown bottles from their pharmacy so they can get through security checks with water in their carry ons, and there is an overpriced bottled water sold by the site sponsor the maker claims can be carried through TSA because it has the words "medically necessary" printed on the label, though I'm a bit dubious of their claim. It definitely is easier to just use regular, potable tap water when traveling, though it can cause some mineral build up.
Official Foe™ on @Palerider's public list of foes. ;-)

Rules to live by: Be wary of anyone boasting their behavior is like that of a fictional sociopath.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:57 pm

It really makes no sense to transport water. It's heavy and could leak. Everywhere you go has water, and tap water is OK in a pinch.

On car trips that's a different matter. I have a container that will hold about 1 week's worth of distilled water and I just tuck it in to the trunk where the bottle won't roll or get crushed.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:11 pm

On car trips, pretty near nothing is a problem.
The bullfrog hauled his Miller table (gold panning) this past July.

remstarcpap

Post by remstarcpap » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:32 am

TSA really won't let you take water through security. A few years ago when I was still using contact lenses I read up on TSA's policy which technically would allow me to bring a bottle of contact lens fluid. There was even a sign on the security line that said go through here if you have medical fluids. So I took my bottle of contact lens fluid through the line, and they said I couldn't bring it aboard the plane.

Given my experience with a legitimate medical fluid contact lens fluid, I severely doubt they would let you bring 10 or so ounces of distilled water through security. It's probably not worth the effort or the hassle and the stress. TSA does what they want to do, and arguing with them is a good way to miss your plane.

Although I'm very good about using distilled water at home, when I travel I just use tap water. It works fine, with the only hassle being needing to clean out the tank more frequently. Don't worry about it. A little soap and water on the tank will take out any residue.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:40 am

remstarcpap wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:32 am
Don't worry about it. A little soap and water on the tank will take out any residue.
Soap and water won't remove mineral buildup, but vinegar (or another acid, like citric acid) will.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

ChrisD

Post by ChrisD » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:57 pm

When I fly, I use this to carry my distilled water - https://www.amazon.com/PAP-FLASK/dp/B007FV92QU

Hosehead since 2011-11-30

Machine: ResMed AirSense 11Autoset
Mask: ResMed AirFit N20 Nasal Mask
Software: ResMed myAir and OSCAR -Open Source CPAP Analysis Reporter