Cpap after uvelctomy

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Muse-Inc

Re: Cpap after uvelctomy

Post by Muse-Inc » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:19 pm

Might try my hybrid-style FFM, uses pillows and covers mouth so no loss of therapy air. Click on my mask in my signature to see it.

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

lukasz

Post by lukasz » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:15 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm now on the Mirage Liberty mask, which is a full-face mask including the nasal pillows.

The good news is that I've been checking the Resmed data online and the AHI event per hour indicates that I've had under 5 events per hour most nights so the sleep that I'm actually getting is healthy sleep.

The bad news is that the most leaks more than 24l every night and I also subconsciously remove the mask during sleep and wake up with it off.

The worst thing is that this mask might not be helping me fall asleep. An apnea may still prevent me from falling asleep, which is what I really wish to overcome somehow.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:13 pm

Just FYI, lukasz, your software and humidifier choices are wrong in your profile

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

prodigyplace

Post by prodigyplace » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:43 pm

You do not need the humidifier & software items in your profile. Some machines use a separate humidifier, but yours is built-in.

Please visit our sponsor, CPAP.com at https://www.cpap.com/ for all your CPAP needs.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:34 am

lukasz wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:15 pm
leaks more than 24l every night
-------------------------->
To reduce unintentional mask leak -

- Make sure the mask is fitted properly. (See mask manufacturer's video.)

- Make sure the headgear is adjusted properly (See mask manufacturer's video.)

- If you use a low ramp pressure or a low minimum pressure, you should fit and adjust your mask at the higher pressures it is operating at for most of the night. You would temporarily change the machine pressure settings while you do the fitting and adjusting. It's best to do this well before bedtime before you are tired and ready for sleep. Don't forget to change your settings back to the ones you prefer.

- Make sure to use good hose management - the hose should not pull on the mask. Notice how your hose is positioned between machine and mask. It should be positioned to minimize any pull on the mask. Hose management is an individual practice. How it is done depends on the mask, the position of the machine, your sleeping position and other factors specific to the individual.

- If you still have problems, learn from the forum what mask liners are available.

- Start a thread in cpaptalk asking for help. Subject: Need Help with Mask xxxxxx

- If your mask still has excessive leak, try other masks. Many people report trying several masks before they find one that works well for them.

Note: Links to just some of the mask manufacturers' instructional videos can be found on the forum host's website - https://www.cpap.com/cpap-masks.php and https://www.youtube.com/

- CG

JonathanZK

Post by JonathanZK » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:21 am

lukasz wrote:
Hey everyone,

I'm now on the Mirage Liberty mask, which is a full-face mask including the nasal pillows.

The good news is that I've been checking the Resmed data online and the AHI event per hour indicates that I've had under 5 events per hour most nights so the sleep that I'm actually getting is healthy sleep.

The bad news is that the most leaks more than 24l every night and I also subconsciously remove the mask during sleep and wake up with it off.

The worst thing is that this mask might not be helping me fall asleep. An apnea may still prevent me from falling asleep, which is what I really wish to overcome somehow.

Thank you in advance.

I know it's frustrating. But you'll find your way with time. I'm a newbie, and had to try several masks before landing on the right one for me (a Mirage Quattro Full). My first mask leaked horribly unless I bound it so tightly to my head that I bruised my nose and forehead and developed a rash below my lip. Two others were the wrong size and utterly uncomfortable.

Some things I learned: they say to wash off any lotions or cosmetics before using the mask. But I found that a clean-shaven moistened face seals best. So I usually give myself a 1 minute cleanup with my Norelco and put on some aftershave lotion around 2 hours before bedtime. Then I rinse my face with warm water before bed.

Additional Comments: Respironics Dreamstation HT15 Heated Tubing

lukasz

Post by lukasz » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:29 am

Hey everyone and thanks for all your replies,

I have tried the cervical collar but it doesn't work.

I've also been trying the tape my mouth shut and that hasn't been working surprisingly.

I do fall asleep but wake up in an instance. The wake up feels like an apnea, the more subtle type with a twitch. No gasping or anything; Could this be central sleep apnea?

I'm thinking maybe change the pressure settings. I was going from 7-8. Maybe a lower or higher pressure? Not sure.

Please let me know.

Last edited by lukasz on Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:48 am

lukasz wrote:
Hey everyone,

Thank you in advance.
Like Muse-Inc, I've found the FF Hybrid mask much more comfortable than the Mirage Liberty. Have you tried using a papcap in combination with your mask? It's far superior to any other chinstrap I've used. For people who remove their mask at night, some folks suggest trying to read or watch TV with your gear on and working for an hour or more during the day so you can get your subconscious used to the idea that wearing a mask is okay.

Most members of this forum are wonderful.
However, if you are the target of bullying on this forum, please consider these excellent alternative forums:
Apnea Board
Sleep Apnea Talk Forum
Free CPAP Advice

Be well,
Chris

lukasz

Post by lukasz » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:13 pm

Putting the mask on early sounds like a good idea.

I haven't tried the papcap because that mask is not working as well as a nose mask would work if I hadn't had the uvelectomy. It surely would have been better and this is what I'm struggling with almost everyday.

So I'm actually trying to fall asleep with a nose mask on by taping my mouth shut but it hasn't worked yet; just messing with the pressure settings for now.

Thanks for your input.

Speaking of that, I'm wondering if using the ffm or mirage mask with the pressure turned up would help.

Lukasz,

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:10 pm

lukasz wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:13 pm
Speaking of that, I'm wondering if using the ffm or mirage mask with the pressure turned up would help.

Lukasz,
There are a lot of opinions on best starter masks, and they probably all stink. Here's my stinky opinion...
< soap box >
We should start out with full face masks and then, once we've learned how to control leaks, only then should we graduate to nasal masks.

The poorest reasons why people start with nasal masks:
  1. The DME provided it first thinking that:
    • It's the best ROI for the DME (cheapest mask with highest insurance cost).
    • DME's think people are going to be afraid of FF masks and create a self-fulfilling bias by doing so.
  2. Creep Factor: Nasal masks look less "Hannibal Lecter" than FF masks.
  3. Cool Factor: I'll look less dorky when I visit or go on business trips to room mates.
Reasons why people should start with a FF mask:
  1. It's easier to control leaks with FF mask. The mask goes around both nose and mouth, making it easier to eliminate mouth leaks.
  2. Dork factor or creep factor aside, if your AHI is better controlled with a full face mask, use the dorky/creepy full face mask.
< / soap box >
Controlling leaks is the most important thing. A uvulectomy probably complicates matters. It may make it much more difficult to keep your mouth from leaking with a nasal-only mask. If you're leaking, you're not getting therapy. If you haven't tried a full face mask, I am partial to the Simplus FF mask with headgear. I might try one of the airfit/airtouch ff models alternatively. But the simplus is pretty fantastic, as is borne out by the 412 reviews on CPAP.com.

Nasal masks aren't for everyone. Full Face masks should work for considerably more of us than not.

Chris

However, if you are the target of bullying on this forum, please consider these excellent alternative forums:
Apnea Board
Sleep Apnea Talk Forum
Free CPAP Advice

Be well,
Chris

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:59 pm

DreamDiver wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:10 pm
  1. It's easier to control leaks with FF mask. The mask goes around both nose and mouth, making it easier to eliminate mouth leaks.
  2. Dork factor or creep factor aside, if your AHI is better controlled with a full face mask, use the dorky/creepy full face mask.
a FFM is actually the second hardest mask to control leaks with. (a total face mask is worse).

The larger the surface area that the mask covers, the more force that's required to counteract whatever level of air pressure there is... meaning the straps have to be tighter.

The larger the cushion, the more places that there can be leaks.

I had much more trouble with leaks when using a FFM than I do with my nasal pillows.. so much so that I had to use mask liners so that I the leaks didn't wake me up.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

TropicalDiver

Post by TropicalDiver » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:11 pm

For me, a FF mask was the answer. I agree with others, fit is crucial and not always easy to achieve.

In concept, I like everything else better than a FFM. Less stuff obstructing your vision. Less bulk. Smaller contact with me face. In practice, a true FFM is what worked best for me!

I also employ a strap from pad-a-cheek.
Machine: Aircurve 10 Vauto (Prior S9 VPAP)
Mask: Quattro Air FFM and AirTouch F20 FFM

prodigyplace

Post by prodigyplace » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:42 am

Leaks are NOT easier to control with a FFM.
I have tried several to have as a backup for when my sinus allergies act up. I always give up and go back to my P10 pillows.

Please visit our sponsor, CPAP.com at https://www.cpap.com/ for all your CPAP needs.

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:10 am

palerider wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:59 pm
a FFM is actually the second hardest mask to control leaks with. (a total face mask is worse).
The larger the surface area that the mask covers, the more force that's required to counteract whatever level of air pressure there is... meaning the straps have to be tighter.

I had much more trouble with leaks when using a FFM than I do with my nasal pillows.. so much so that I had to use mask liners so that I the leaks didn't wake me up.
As I said, we each have our own stinky opinions... :mrgreen: I would agree with you ordinarily, Palerider, except many people can't keep their mouths from leaking with nasal masks. They're started with nasal masks and might spend a month or two continuing with a nasal mask because their DME "professional" told them it's the right mask for them and they don't think about contacting a forum like this or taking control of their own therapy. Except many DME's have never had to use either style of mask, so they default to the one that's the least expensive for them with the best return from the insurance company.

Frankly, if I could, I would probably use nasal pillows. But I can't because my upper palate goes entirely slack when I sleep. I can't subconsciously keep it closed. For me, it's also a wake trigger as well as a major leak. My first mask was nasal, and all I got was continuous nights of huge mouth leak. Changing to FF was the best thing I ever did.

Fit can be just as difficult for nasal masks for some people. We don't all have the same shape nares. I suspect that there are just as many people looking for that perfect nasal seal as there are with the quest for the perfect ff seal.
TropicalDiver wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:11 pm
For me, a FF mask was the answer. I agree with others, fit is crucial and not always easy to achieve.

In concept, I like everything else better than a FFM. Less stuff obstructing your vision. Less bulk. Smaller contact with me face. In practice, a true FFM is what worked best for me!

I also employ a strap from pad-a-cheek.
Pad-a-cheek's strap is awesome.
prodigyplace wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:42 am
Leaks are NOT easier to control with a FFM.
I have tried several to have as a backup for when my sinus allergies act up. I always give up and go back to my P10 pillows.
It's great that you're able to use nasal pillows.

All:
A uvulectomy may mean that there may not be enough soft muscle tissue for someone to completely seal the leak with the soft palate alone using a nasal mask. Now you want the uvulectomous apneac to keep his soft palate closed subconsciously? This sounds like a sketchy prospect.

Apnea Board
Sleep Apnea Talk Forum
Free CPAP Advice

Be well,
Chris

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:58 am

DreamDiver wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:10 am
palerider wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:59 pm

As I said, we each have our own stinky opinions... :mrgreen: I would agree with you ordinarily, Palerider, except many people can't keep their mouths from leaking with nasal masks.
*leaks* and *mouth breathing* aren't the same thing.

Leaks are much harder to control and more bothersome with a FFM.

Are nasal masks perfect? no, are pillow masks perfect? no.